PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Vibration GU 3

brush
26th July 2016, 09:57 AM
Morning guys,
I have a 2003 GU 3, 4.2 TDI. I have a vibration coming from the intercooler housing. I have had it all off, re tightened the nuts to the Alum Box and the frame work but it still persists. Has anyone had the same problem and how did they fix it. It is bad at idle and up to 1000 rpm.
Cheers Brush

4bye4
26th July 2016, 10:21 AM
Are you sure its the I/C and not a reflected rattle from the fuel pump or somthing that just sounds like its coming from the I/C housing? If you are sure its the housing, try some fibre washers or even "O" rings on the bolts. does it get better if you push and poke the housing when its running?

brush
26th July 2016, 07:52 PM
gooday 4x4, Mate,
it is the IC as prior to taking it off , it was not as bad as it is now, I can put my hand under the Alum Box radiator ,lift it and it does stop. It feels like there is a tension in the housing. I have fitted fibre washers and rubber washers under the frame but it does not make any difference. It seems to me this IC housing should be rubber mounted but the truck is original at 260 Th KLms and I have had it for 10 years. I will see what others think but perhaps there are better flexible washer systems avail that may fix it.
Cheers
Brush

4bye4
26th July 2016, 08:10 PM
Has one or more of the cores or fins become loose?

brush
27th July 2016, 11:02 AM
No the IC is perfect no cracks etc. Patrol has never been used in "rough " off road, It is still tight as" I had another go at the lower bolts in the housing to Box I did get a bit out of them but reluctant to put a lot of pressure on them going in the alum. I will slip it around to my mechanic he will have better tools to get to the bolts . I feel it is the lower bolts that is causing the vibration.
Thanks anyway.
Brush

4bye4
27th July 2016, 11:12 AM
I am out of ideas.

threedogs
27th July 2016, 03:38 PM
Its rubber mounted similar to the 3 ltrs is it , therefore tightening
it up wont do any good as it has a steel sleeve inside the rubber
similar to the link.??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intercooler-Rubber-Nissan-Patrol-GU-ZD30-3-0ltr-Direct-Replacement-Pack-of-4-/221857663206?hash=item33a7bf48e6:g:NpwAAOSw-W5Utbsd