PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an ex-Govt GU?

Croozer
24th July 2016, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

I've been offered a white 2006 ST auto diesel with only 88,000kms on the clock, ARB bar work all round including bull bar, side brush bars, solid side steps, winch, ARB rear draw system and divider with cargo barrier. The vehicle is in good condition with usual minor wear and tear, though it has some rust on the bull bar and the spot lights are cactus but easily replaced. It had 5 new BFgoodrich A/T tyres added about 6 months ago with at least 80% tread. It's a retiring govt vehicle (10 years govt service is a long time!) but most of its travels were short and relatively easy (mostly, it was pushed hard on a few occasions) as it was the supervisor's vehicle. Speaking with the local mechanic who always serviced it, he reckons the engine and running gear are in good nick. Asking price is $11,000.

Reckon its a fair price and would you consider an ex-Govt vehicle?

Cheers,

Dan

Maxhead
24th July 2016, 09:11 AM
What donk is in it?

Bacho86
24th July 2016, 09:23 AM
Generally ex-Gov fleet are maintained very well, however depending how it was utilised they may not receive much mechanical sympathy from the drivers. However if it's only been driven by the supervisor you may be in luck!

Certainly sounds like a well decked out vehicle with low km,s - sounds like a good buy. Got any pics?

I'd have a guess and say it's the Di 3.0l at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toy-Eta
24th July 2016, 09:51 AM
Hi all,

I've been offered a white 2006 ST auto diesel with only 88,000kms on the clock, ARB bar work all round including bull bar, side brush bars, solid side steps, winch, ARB rear draw system and divider with cargo barrier. The vehicle is in good condition with usual minor wear and tear, though it has some rust on the bull bar and the spot lights are cactus but easily replaced. It had 5 new BFgoodrich A/T tyres added about 6 months ago with at least 80% tread. It's a retiring govt vehicle (10 years govt service is a long time!) but most of its travels were short and relatively easy (mostly, it was pushed hard on a few occasions) as it was the supervisor's vehicle. Speaking with the local mechanic who always serviced it, he reckons the engine and running gear are in good nick. Asking price is $11,000.

Cheers,

Dan

An absolute bargain mate! I wouldn't even hesitate if everything checked out! If your concerned its too cheap, pay one of those car inspection mobs to go over it thoroughly, for around $200 its good insurance on your purchase/peace of mind.

I bought an ex government fleet GU, it too was a great buy with a lot of extras and was well looked after. Would buy one again.

If you think about it, if you were to buy a bog stock gu you would be up for:

- Arb bar 2k
- Brush rails 1k,
- Side steps 500,
- Winch 500- 1k
- Arb drawer system 2k
- Cargo barrier/divider 800.
- Set of BFGs 1.5k

All this + fitting price if you pay someone to bang it on,

You are realistically only really paying 2/3k for a low km Troll that even in a bad scenario, you are gonna get at least another 100,000km outta before anything major things start playing up.

Jump on carsales/gum tree. The price is incredibly fair for that age/accessories, (most start at around 15k for stock, and any extras you are looking at over 20k, with that sorta gear/kms.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers,
Westie

Winnie
24th July 2016, 09:55 AM
Sounds very cheap and if the mechanic says that it is in good nick then you should be alright.
It's a low km patrol with a lot of high value extras, I would probably go for it. Even if a few things come up that need fixing you will still be well in front.

Croozer
24th July 2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys, sorry I should have specified its the 3ltr donk. Its an ex-Australian Federal Police vehicle which has lived most of its life on the coast. Its also got a big rear step hanging off the back of it which may come in handy. It may have a bit of rust being a coastal vehicle (I'm presuming) but nothing that I can see apart from what is already mentioned. I figure I can give it a lift and replace some well worn parts and get myself cheaply into a well decked out truck. Its not perfect, but at that price I'm wondering if its worth grabbing and dealing with any issues (if any) as they arise.

Maxhead
24th July 2016, 10:46 AM
A mate of mine bought an ex ambulance GU4.2TD a couple of years ago and besides a few drilled holes throughtout the vehicle the maintenance was A1 and was carried out every 5k. Still going strong with no issues as far as I know

BigRAWesty
24th July 2016, 10:51 AM
That's the sorta car you want..
And what a steal..
That's about $5000 cheaper than market value atm without the extras..
Im with Toy-eta, got lots of k's left before your in the worry zone.
And don't stress about it being flogged.. the little zd30's do like to Rev. .
Take it for a spin and if it's smooth, starts well and doesn't stumble and doesn't bellow loads of smoke in the higher rpm range I'd say grab it..

Croozer
24th July 2016, 11:28 AM
Cheers for that. I've driven it and its starts first go, no smoke, smooth as butter, drives nicely. Sounds like I might be stupid if I don't go for it. Reckon Id throw a lift on it, grab some new rims on (the stock alloys are dinged up) and she might be good to go. Anyone chipped their 3ltr? Worth it?

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated.

Dan

threedogs
24th July 2016, 11:55 AM
Cheers for that. I've driven it and its starts first go, no smoke, smooth as butter, drives nicely. Sounds like I might be stupid if I don't go for it. Reckon Id throw a lift on it, grab some new rims on (the stock alloys are dinged up) and she might be good to go. Anyone chipped their 3ltr? Worth it?

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated.

Dan

Yes I chipped my 3ltr Di 2004 and more than happy, I went with a DP-Chip
first I put it on 9 but found it bew too much black smoke so backed it off to
7 for towing duties good power, no smoke, very happy.
I have a 3" full exhaust as well as a tigged Intercooler larger scoop and NADS
fitted along with a catch can

Magician
24th July 2016, 11:56 AM
Go for it it is cheap and fully loaded. Ex gov are always strictly serviced unlike a lot of private ones 11k for an 06 what a bargain

BillsGU
24th July 2016, 12:06 PM
Only problem I can see (as with a lot of 4bys) is that with all that good stuff bolted on you may be up to your GVM even without you in the vehicle. A friend has a GU with all the bits you mentioned (including 2 X spare tyres on the rear bar) and at a Club weigh day his came in at just under 3500 kg - with no driver or passenger.

Being ex govt - has it had a GVM upgrade? If so it really is a bargain!

Just a thought.

MudRunnerTD
24th July 2016, 12:37 PM
Was thinking about the GVM Upgrade too, likely it has had it done from new which will mean braced rest towers etc, winner.

If it was a 10year old ExGov out of Darwin or Central Aus and had been use in an indigenous community then it would be fairly rugged compared to the Sargeant's car from a Coastal tourist zone. 2 different lives. It may even have some electronic rust protection under the bonnet too.

It is on the cusp for DI V CRD ZD30 engine change, is it a DI or CommonRail? A side photo will show a big sticker on the door declaring CRD.

Note the Clutch can go and is big $$ to replace but at the price you are being offered it makes no difference.

IT IS A BARGAIN.

I have seen similar vehicles with the same list of accessories list for about $10k to $12k WITH A BLOWN MOTOR. To suit conversion. This is a very popular year for the Concersion crew as it's the last year you can do a TD42 conversion if it does blow.

If the Big rear step is an ARB rear bar with wheel carrier then that's a $3k bit of kit!

No brainer mate!! If you don't buy it please post a link and I happily will.

Toy-Eta
24th July 2016, 12:41 PM
No brainer mate!! If you don't buy it please post a link and I happily will.

Haha!! I was thinking the same thing MR! It definitely is a steal!

threedogs
24th July 2016, 12:46 PM
. It may even have some electronic rust protection under the bonnet too. .

I think these electronic Gizmos were proved to be useless like a snake oil, was only proved just recently.

Toy-Eta
24th July 2016, 12:46 PM
Only problem I can see (as with a lot of 4bys) is that with all that good stuff bolted on you may be up to your GVM even without you in the vehicle. A friend has a GU with all the bits you mentioned (including 2 X spare tyres on the rear bar) and at a Club weigh day his came in at just under 3500 kg - with no driver or passenger.

Being ex govt - has it had a GVM upgrade? If so it really is a bargain!

Just a thought.

I've only had my GU for about 4 months, and it wasn't until a recent off-road/camping tour that it sorta hit me. There's alot bolted onto my ol' girl and I am concerned about being over the GVM. I'll need to take a closer look this weekend underneath and find out whether it has had the GVM upgrade, any idea what I should be looking for? As far as I'm aware it would be tower braces etc?

BillsGU
24th July 2016, 01:02 PM
I've only had my GU for about 4 months, and it wasn't until a recent off-road/camping tour that it sorta hit me. There's alot bolted onto my ol' girl and I am concerned about being over the GVM. I'll need to take a closer look this weekend underneath and find out whether it has had the GVM upgrade, any idea what I should be looking for? As far as I'm aware it would be tower braces etc?

If it has been done properly it would be engineered and you would have a plaque on the fire wall or in the drivers door B pillar. You would look for tower braces, diff bracing, rated springs and shocks (the only one who rates and stamps them that I know of are Lovells), LPV bracket, offset caster bushes, among other things. You would also have a GVM of 3495 kg on your rego papers.

mudnut
24th July 2016, 01:14 PM
I thought all government vehicles had to be auctioned. Who is offering the vehicle for sale? Also 88 k for a vehicle that is ten years old sounds too good to be true, but I am a sceptical old fart.

Croozer
24th July 2016, 01:19 PM
I'm certain its hasn't had a GVM upgrade, it still has bog standard suspension etc. I'm not sure about it being DI or CRD, when was the engine upgraded? I'll have to check it out. I hear what you're saying about the vehicle's life...knowing the location of the vehicle it would be lucky to travel 30kms a day. The rear step is just a metal step that comes out off the back of the bumper (but no drill pieces into the plastic), so you can step up. Handy.

There's no link to the Patrol as its being sold locally only, no electronic advertisement. Like many things in life, all about right place right time.

Croozer
24th July 2016, 01:27 PM
Yep, most Govt vehicles have to be auctioned off, but in certain circumstances, particularly when the vehicle is a certain age, is worth '$0' to the agency and based on its location, its up to the boss as to how the vehicle is sold or even given away. The 88,000kms is very genuine. Think I might keeps it location a secret so I don't get competition!!lol

MudRunnerTD
24th July 2016, 01:29 PM
I'm certain its hasn't had a GVM upgrade, it still has bog standard suspension etc. I'm not sure about it being DI or CRD, when was the engine upgraded? I'll have to check it out. I hear what you're saying about the vehicle's life...knowing the location of the vehicle it would be lucky to travel 30kms a day. The rear step is just a metal step that comes out off the back of the bumper (but no drill pieces into the plastic), so you can step up. Handy.

There's no link to the Patrol as its being sold locally only, no electronic advertisement. Like many things in life, all about right place right time.

The engine swap was done in 2006 so as I said you could be either. If you took any pics of it then look at a pic of the drivers door as there will be a big sticker on the door.

You may well not tell the difference between stock and GVM Upgrade suspension especially if your fairly new to Patrols.

Climb under the back and see if the rear spring towers have any form of bracing.

It has averaged 8,800kms per year which is actually pretty viable for a small coastal precinct I reckon.

the evil twin
24th July 2016, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

Cheers,

Dan

Good price for a Di (it is extremely unlikely to be a CRD as they didn't hit Oz until mid 07) with that amount of fruit on it.
Low K's also mean that you can wack a lot on without greatly affecting the depreciation.
Auto means no clutch/flywheel issues so another plus.
As mentioned by others it may have a GVM upgrade but being that old maybe not.
AFP should mean it was serviced correctly but check the books, some Gov Dept's are really shit at correct servicing of fleet.
A lot of AFP vehicles spend a significant part of the day garaged and as it was owned not leased it would have hit the K's disposal trigger so K's make sense and are most likely genuine

When you say 'offered' and 'asking price' is that because someone else bought it ex-Gov't disposal already?

Cuppa
24th July 2016, 04:11 PM
If being ‘ex govt’ is anything like being ‘ex Telstra’ you may be able to, with a little digging, obtain a full service history on it. When I bought mine I not only managed to get a print out of it’s service (every 5000kms) & repair history from the day it was registered, but also managed to speak to someone in the workshop where all the servicing was done to ask questions about items in the printed history. Eg. It had had a complete new front diff fitted just 6 or 8 weeks before it was ‘retired’ by Telstra & the driver (same one throughout it’s life) had hit a loose rock in the middle of an outback road & cracked the diff. Seems that policy was replacement with new rather than repair anything. Even wheel bearings were replaced at every service.

BigRAWesty
24th July 2016, 06:14 PM
Gmv upgrade..
Should be a blue sticker in drivers door or next to Vin plate..
A couple of things that happen on the gmv upgrade.
They will bolt some sort of rear tower brace.
And depending on increase you may have the rear diff braced aswell..

Plasnart
24th July 2016, 07:02 PM
..... Even wheel bearings were replaced at every service.

And there's our taxes hard at work!!

GeeYou8
25th July 2016, 08:07 AM
I have had 3x ex government 4x4s, would recommend to anyone, you can easily sell for what you paid (or a bit more) if you change your mind.
Graham

DX grunt
25th July 2016, 06:45 PM
I bought my 2005,.ex Telstra 4.2 TDi ute from a car yard. Not all the services were filled out in the book, but it was up around Broome/Kununurra a fair bit, so I know it was mostly hot k's. It did a fair bit of gravel travel, too, because the back mudguards have been rock blasted.

There was no modification plate on mine when I got it, but I've got a sneaky suspicion that it was modded and the modification plate wasn't affixed to the vehicle. I did the upgrade, and glad I did - and got a modification plate. My truck is 11 years old and from what I've experienced with the new suspension, it was due for it, so I'm happy.

Rossco