PDA

View Full Version : Patrol to Cruiser now back to Patrol again!

rb30e
22nd July 2016, 11:21 AM
Hi all,

This is more of a reintroduction, I've been a member of this site for 6-7 years now but was off the forum for about 3 years while I was cruising. Now I'm back to Patrolling again!

My first Patrol was a GU1 TB45E, I loved it, apart from it being thirsty it was solid as a rock and got me all across Oz except for W.A.
Unfortunately it had to go, a reluctant sale, my wife and I planned a round the world trip and needed more room so the Patrol made way for a 94 Troopy.

Dam did I miss my Patrol after getting into a fully leaf sprung troopy! Anyway we spent a bomb rebuilding and setting up that car but it doubled as our home for 1 year so served its purpose nicely. We traveled through 30 countries in Europe and Asia but sadly never made it to Africa due to health complications.

After returning to Oz the troopy just wasn't cutting it as a two seater, it also has shocking fuel consumption after having an auto tranny and aftermarket turbo charger fitted. I'm paraplegic so can only drive auto. So sadly it was time for her to go.

Just last weekend I bought myself a MY08 GU6 CRD with 175,000km and lots of tasty extras. I flew from Sydney down to Adelaide to pick it up, doing a little road trip through the Flinders Ranges on the way back.

I have to say I'm not that impressed by the Patrol.

While it performs really well offroad, I was really hoping for decent fuel economy on the highway after owning two guzzlers. Best I could get, on the Outback Hwy (almost dead flat, straight and nothing to stop for) was about 15l/100km. I was sitting on or below 2500rpm just trying to cruise.

It also sounds horrible on cold starts!

Adding to my disappointment noticed a really bad shudder between 3rd and 4th, thankfully my mate and I got that sorted after changing the ATF and adding some lubeguard instant shudder fix (works wonders!)

So now after a little research I'm pondering redoing the fuel system, injectors, pump refurb and checking the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail. With the Km on it I'm hoping this may be contributing to the high fuel consumption and rough cold start, I was kinda expecting this may need attention before I bought it.

I think that if I can get the fuel issue sorted I may be a little more happy with the car, but don't want to be shelling out thousands without results.

Anyway it still feels good to be back behind the wheel of a Patrol again!

growler2058
22nd July 2016, 11:47 AM
City driving and highway at 110 i get RS economy. 80-90kmh and I'm 13.5lph

Touses
22nd July 2016, 12:15 PM
Welcome back to the bright side of the road. Maybe start a thread with pics of you travels?

threedogs
22nd July 2016, 01:40 PM
Welcome back , after you settle in a bit more try cleaning the MAF sensor it controls a heap of things.
Also disconnect the battery while you do it it will re-set the ECU and get rid of bad errors.
Also check the intercooler for oily marks a sure sign its leaking,[They all do] a fully tigged one will fix that
problem.
Any way jump in anytime you like and most of all enjoy,,,

NB:: as for your revs at 100 kph I take it you didnt have overdrive button pushed.
This will drop your revs to around 2000rpm.
I take it its an auto???

Start another thread about your fuel economy concerns you will get heaps of advice.

Dhuck
22nd July 2016, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Cuppa
23rd July 2016, 12:06 AM
Welcome back to the bright side of the road. Maybe start a thread with pics of you travels?

Yeah, no worries about it being in a Troopy, I love seeing pics/accounts of other folks trips, especially overland cross/continental like you’ve done.

kroggy
23rd July 2016, 03:52 AM
Welcome back

Bigcol
23rd July 2016, 02:41 PM
welcome back, and as others have said, would love to see piccies of your travels

also, as TD said, if you were "cruising" at 2500rmp, you've not got it locked in overdrive thingy (I dont have auto......) maybe if you had pushed the button, it is not activating.......?
also I dont understand why the diesels dont have a proper auto like the Petty ones...........

UminaTroll
23rd July 2016, 11:01 PM
Hi Mate,

good to hear your story. I have a 3.0 CRDI Auto. Mine will do 110 at about 2200RPM and I average about 11-12 litres per 100kms on the freeway so I find mine not too bad. I have driven from Sydney to Toowoomba without having to fuel up (main and sub tank). Any way good luck and all the best :)

rb30e
24th July 2016, 09:40 AM
Yeah, no worries about it being in a Troopy, I love seeing pics/accounts of other folks trips, especially overland cross/continental like you’ve done.

Red square Moscow

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Tajikistan

Some altitude for ya

Some people we met along the way. Totally random met in Kazakhstan for the first time, knew the same people even had our engine rebuilt by the same shop

Hindu Kush mountains Afghanistan

following the silk road Uzbekistan

Caucus mountains Georgia

Georgia

Georgia

Capidoccia Turkey

Azerbaijan

Macedonia

Albania

Sh1ts starting to get a bit outa control in Bulgaria

Transylvania

loads more pics and all the stories on our blog
http://lostabound.com

rb30e
24th July 2016, 09:55 AM
Hi Mate,

good to hear your story. I have a 3.0 CRDI Auto. Mine will do 110 at about 2200RPM and I average about 11-12 litres per 100kms on the freeway so I find mine not too bad. I have driven from Sydney to Toowoomba without having to fuel up (main and sub tank). Any way good luck and all the best :)

Your the second to mention your doing 2200rpm at 110kph. I dunno if the stockers steel wheels/tyres are a different rolling diameter to the 17's maybe? Also when I say 110kph I mean more like 120kph on the dash, which is a tad over 110 on my GPS. That may be why, still drinks the fuel though!

Cuppa
24th July 2016, 10:17 AM
Brilliant! Thanks for the pics. You will have a lifetime's worth of memories stashed away from that trip. I'm off to check out your blog now.

Toy-Eta
24th July 2016, 10:45 AM
Amazing pictures! Looks like you had an absolute ball! Thanks for sharing!

Cuppa
24th July 2016, 03:48 PM
Jerome. Well! What a way to spend a Sunday! I have just read your trip blog from beginning to end & more than anything feel a great admiration for both of you. For wanting to do it, for making it happen & for ‘pushing through’ when things got tough. You & Jess both absolutely deserve each other & are so lucky to have each other. Huge respect to you both. Fantastic trip during which I was struck many times how your disability & positive attitudes actually resulted in you getting to places & seeing stuff that most people wouldn’t. You experienced so much but from my armchair it was the ‘Stans I think I enjoyed the most. I am now left wondering what happened after your last entry, & how itchy your feet are now?

4bye4
25th July 2016, 12:17 AM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

Clunk
9th August 2016, 10:06 PM
g'day mate and welcome aboard