PDA

View Full Version : Pushing on with TB42E turbo upgrade

Irish
22nd July 2016, 07:10 AM
So, as per the title I've decided to push on with a mild turbo setup on the Maverick.

Straight petrol, no messing about.

My shopping list so far is:

Used GT35 off an XR6 turbo(good condition).
440-500cc injectors, on modded standard fuel rail.
Nistune board and dyno time.
Intercooler(either used or ebay special)
Various piping, silicone bends and custom exhaust(welded by me, so... badly).
Boost controller and gauge.
EGT sensor and gauge.
Stronger fuel pump.

Hours and hours of skinned knuckles and questioning why the hell I'm doing it

Engineering so the plod don't canary my ass.

just aiming for 7-10psi max.

I've already got:

a turbo manifold

twin pot brakes to upgrade mine to help with engineering

Two engines.

With such a mild setup, should I need to swap out the airbox?

billyj
22nd July 2016, 05:04 PM
it will be a restriction, im running a small axt turbo @5psi but sees up to 10 due to wastegate issues, and i bring on the airfilter light at about 2400rpm and around 6psi.
id reccomend a better airbox and a high flow snorkel either the bigger safari or a stainless one

Irish
22nd July 2016, 07:00 PM
Yeah, thought as much. Might go for a fully enclosed pod filter maybe?

Was hoping to get away without changing out the snorkel, thats gonna be a bitch to take off.

What are you running to manage fuel etc?

Ben-e-boy
22nd July 2016, 07:28 PM
Taking budget into account, there is usually a few used turbos on the ford pages on facebook, the 3576 of an FG will be quite nice (IMO) for a daily/weekend gettaway 4wd application.

Keeping with the used ford parts, something that could warrent further research would be if an intank fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator (or entire rail) of an FG could be adapted to the tb. These are regularly upgraded, and cant imagine a high price on the second hand market.

Edit. F6 typhoon injectors are 42lb (440ish cc i think). I have 630cc injectors that I want to get rid of and upgrade to 1000cc.

Irish
22nd July 2016, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll be dipping into a few xr6t groups or forums on the hunt for bits and bobs. Good thing about that hoon culture, everyone wants bigger/better.

billyj
23rd July 2016, 04:45 PM
walbro 255 intank pump, std reg. 660cc injectors and a nistune boardon the std ecu

Irish
28th July 2016, 05:11 PM
Well I'm taking a road trip to Geelong on Sunday to pick up a used GT35, intercooler and some assorted bits and bobs. Got em for a price that was not to be sniffed at.

If the turbo is bombed, a mate has already put me onto a place that'll rebuild and balance it for a good price too.

What have people done regards engineering? I want everything to be squared away legal like. I've called a couple of places listed on Vicroads VASS list already who haven't given me the time of day. A tuning shop in Seaford have given me the name of a guy in Hallam and one of the other engineers gave me a place in Braeside, will call them tomorrow

billyj
28th July 2016, 08:42 PM
engineering is on my to suss out list, gotta find out if im better off winding up the boost and intercooling for more grunt or just dropping the fresh built 355 holden stroker from my crashed ute into the gq

Snafu
28th July 2016, 10:47 PM
I have been told Peter Turner in Guildford (03) 54734380 is excellent to deal with.

MudRunnerTD
28th July 2016, 11:46 PM
I have a mate that had a GQ TB wagon that he cut up, caged and turbo'd. was a beast of a thing. He drove it hard and it loved it. After a number of years he got pinned by the establishment and had to get the car Engineered for the Cut, (Winch Truck), The Cage and the Turbo. He Could Not get the TB42 Engineered with a Turbo on it. At All. He ended up biting the bullet and did an LS2 conversion which he had No Trouble getting Engineered in the same car?? Bizarre! Make a couple of calls so you don't end in tears just in case.

taslucas
29th July 2016, 08:32 AM
Was big rigs engineered?

>>>tappin from tassie

Irish
29th July 2016, 01:03 PM
No idea mate.

taslucas
29th July 2016, 01:35 PM
Sorry, I was asking Darren. I thought he might know

>>>tappin from tassie

Ben-e-boy
29th July 2016, 05:50 PM
Sorry, I was asking Darren. I thought he might know

>>>tappin from tassie

99.9% certain it was.

Irish
31st July 2016, 12:21 PM
Okay, update.

So this morning I picked up the turbo, intercooler, lines and the bloke even threw in a couple of pro Comp gauges and a pod filter because I'd driven so far.

We are officially on our way.

Ben-e-boy
31st July 2016, 04:44 PM
Is there much shaft play? There will be a bit Side to side for oil clearance. front to back is not so good. Also for piece of mind, remove the turbing housing and check for cracks......................might aswell port it while it off too ;p.

Irish
31st July 2016, 07:59 PM
Yeah about 1mm side to side, just the tiniest perceptable movement front to back.

If need be theres a place I can get a rebuild and rebalance for under $400.

Ben-e-boy
31st July 2016, 08:03 PM
Yeah about 1mm side to side, just the tiniest perceptable movement front to back.

If need be theres a place I can get a rebuild and rebalance for under $400.

That alright, I wouldn't be worried about that

Irish
3rd August 2016, 09:46 PM
Spoke with an engineer the other day, looks like I'll be needing to get an emissions test done. Theres only one place in VIC that does it and of course they charge $700 for the privilege.

Once it passes, the engineer will give the car a once over and then hopefully sign it all off.

Irish
19th September 2016, 06:18 AM
Okay, quick update:

Took the old girl for a final spin yesterday before the conversion, got home and started ripping stuff out of the engine bay so I could test fit the manifold and turbo to get an idea of space etc.
Here's what it looks like now:

taslucas
19th September 2016, 10:52 AM
Do a burnout

>>>tappin from tassie

Robo
19th September 2016, 11:15 AM
Watching with interest.

billyj
19th September 2016, 08:18 PM
do your self a favor and replace teh std mounts with superior or racebread unbreakable ones before you push on to far, or you will be replacing the lhs mount with alarming regularity

Winnie
19th September 2016, 08:51 PM
do your self a favor and replace teh std mounts with superior or racebread unbreakable ones before you push on to far, or you will be replacing the lhs mount with alarming regularity
If you do this I recommend only to replace the passenger side. I have both in mine and really don't like it. There is a LOT of vibration through the whole car. I will change the drivers side mount to a standard one at some stage to bring the vibrations down.

billyj
19th September 2016, 09:35 PM
If you do this I recommend only to replace the passenger side. I have both in mine and really don't like it. There is a LOT of vibration through the whole car. I will change the drivers side mount to a standard one at some stage to bring the vibrations down.
id did both and no extra vibration, the tb is alot smoother than a td

Irish
20th September 2016, 08:10 AM
After a bit of intercooler tetris last night I realised that the front mount cooler I got free with my turbo is not going to fit as a top mount.

Don't really want to front mount it as there's not a lot of room behind the grill in a GQ and I don't really need anything else blocking airflow to the radiator.

Have seen the likes of these on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/intercooler-550x140x65mm-aluminium-pipings-2-5-inch-64mm-pipes-universal-/191891452124?hash=item2cad9f30dc:g:BYIAAOSwnNBXV8u O

What do you reckon, worth a punt or stay clear? Bear in mind that I'm not chasing big power.

*edit, the measurements on that ebay cooler don't seem to match the pic at all, hmmm.

mudski
20th September 2016, 09:29 AM
That intercooler would be fine I reckon. You need to scratch AB's brain about the front mount. He managed to FMIC his GQ.
As for engineering, give Brett and 4x4r Obsession a ring and chat with him on what has to be done. Even though they took their god damn time with mine, I am pretty happy with their work and outcome. Also on that VASS Engineers list, theres a guy in Thomastown who just engineers motors. He's a French guy, he was quite helpful when I spoke with him.

Irish
20th September 2016, 06:25 PM
Had a look at mine with a fresh set of eyes when I got home and I might just be able to make it work, will just have to do some creative trimming on some tabs and a shroud on it will be interesting at the very least.

That ebay ad was looking more suss the more I looked at it.

Cheers for the engineering leads Mark, I've been talking to a guy down in Hallam so far.

Irish
5th October 2016, 05:55 PM
Hokay, mini update.

The exhaust I ordered has finally shown up, was late to the exhaust shop from their supplier but the communication from the exhaust shop was top notch.

Injectors have been ordered, I've gone with 440cc Bosch 968's so will possibly have to machine out my fuel rail, but it is what it is. Shouldn't be a drama.

Also ordered the walbro 255lph pump.

Once the exhaust is fitted I'll know how much room I have to allow for with a cat and dump pipe and will buy the bits off the same exhaust mob.

Still need to mount the IC and figure out the piping for it.

Things are moving forwards, all be it slowly as I realistically only have one day a weekend and maybe an hour here or there a few evenings a week.
Quite enjoying the process though, it's like occupational therapy.

Irish
4th November 2016, 08:04 AM
Quick update.

Things now progressing well, turbo, dump and oil lines are in, internal wastegate actuator has been upgraded to a turbosmart IWG75.
I decided that the intercooler just wasn't going to cut the mustard so i ordered one that'll fit better, also decided on front mount.
Better to cut into my grill than my bonnet, plus it'll be more efficient.

Also dropped my fuel rail into Dandy engines to get machined, hopefully get a call today to say it's ready.

Pics!

Internal wastegate(part number there for anyone who needs)

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!!

Old intercooler(bigger than it looks, I have shovel hands)

New intercooler, fits like a glove... that cools charged air...

New turbo lines

This weekend I'll be finishing off fitting the water lines, priming the oil feed, mounting the intercooler, making up an interconnecting pipe to go from dump to exhaust and hopefully starting the car to make sure the turbo spins freely and the oil feed works.

Next I'll be plumbing in the intercooler, replacing old injectors with the Bosch 968's I bought and the rail with the freshly machined one. Then finish plumbing everything, test for leaks and she's off to the tuner!

rusty_nail
4th November 2016, 08:22 AM
nice mate! very very cool!

Irish
12th November 2016, 05:02 PM
Quick update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmkthCh4e58

Winnie
12th November 2016, 05:15 PM
Geeze mate it's getting close now.

nissannewby
12th November 2016, 05:32 PM

It is very likely that in a tb it will be a non issue. A tb has standard 6 cylinder firing order while our TD has an odd one.

Irish
13th November 2016, 07:17 AM
On the down side, I think my AFM is cactus. After all the drama I had with the original one when I first did the efi conversion it was an easy troubleshoot this time around. Car just would not run with it connected.
I'll give it a good clean today and see if it works, otherwise I'll be hunting around for another used one(screw paying $750 for a sensor).

Is it common for these to just stop working out of nowhere?

nissannewby
13th November 2016, 09:54 AM
The tb45 ones are the same so that may help you on finding one.

Can you not get it just tuned out of the equation?

Irish
13th November 2016, 10:16 AM
The tb45 ones are the same so that may help you on finding one.

Can you not get it just tuned out of the equation?

Thanks for that, should help in the search. Going to try the last guy I got one off again, see if he has another.

Not sure whether you can with the nistune to be honest, think it requires the factory sensors. If I could tune it out, would I run into air/fuel issues, e.g. it'll be getting tuned at almost sea level, but realistically most 4wdíng is done(for me anyway) in hilly/mountainous areas?

nissannewby
13th November 2016, 12:58 PM
Shouldnt run into afr issues if the tune is done correctly. I dare say you are more than likely right about the nistune and it would be easier to achieve with a stand alone ecu.

billyj
13th November 2016, 03:59 PM
you dont need to worry about the tune from sea level to altitude, and theres no problem running unbreakable mounts on both sides on a tb

Irish
14th November 2016, 05:56 PM
Okay, did some reading this morning and it turns out that this nistune setup is even better than expected.

so with the AFM, you can substitute in pretty much any other nissan AFM and the software will let you integrate it easily.

Seems the best option is the Z32 afm, which has a much higher resolution than the stock unit and even a brand new genuine Nissan/jecs/bosch one is under $300

Linky to article: http://nistune.com/docs/Nistune%20MAF%20Tech%20Notes.pdf

billyj
14th November 2016, 07:30 PM
yep nistune isnt a bad bit of kit, and if you have an ecutalk all the functions on that still work as well with nistune

Irish
4th December 2016, 09:24 AM
Quick update, intercooler mounted, have started running the piping(bought a generic ebay piping kit but they left me short all the clamps and silicon joins, BUT once I told em they shipped em out straight away, good service)

Big win yesterday, George(Altis from the forum) hooked me up with a good price on a genuine Bosch Z32 afm. Will need to suss the pin outs to wire it in but shouldn't be a drama.

Exhaust is completely finished, but I'm going to heat wrap the dump & connecting pipe to try and keep temps down in the engine bay and to cover up my ugly welding.

Irish
16th December 2016, 06:49 AM
Okeydokey,

Have been busy as in the run up to Christmas, looks like I won't be on the road til Jan now, BUT have gotten a bunch done and I can see the finish line ahead.

Have finished all of the intake piping, had to rejig it a bit as on testing found that I couldn't close the bloody bonnet. :oops:

Had to get a bit creative with the airbox and in a moment of "genius" I decided to use an old ex army ammo tin I got from Aussie Disposals a while back. Fully air/watertight airbox anyone?

Also started butchering my front grill to make it fit over the intercooler, nerve racking stuff, hate chopping into perfectly good parts but ah well.

Fuel pump, injectora and rail left to go then I can start bolting the undercarriage back together.

To be continued.

TJsGQ
25th January 2017, 09:48 PM
Looking good!! Doing the hard yards it will be a beast

Irish
3rd June 2017, 09:41 AM
Zombie thread resurrection!!!!!

Update:

I've been busier than hell the last few months so sorry for the slackness.

I'd been slowly chipping away at it an hour here and there, got my fuel rail machined out to accept the bigger injectors, etc etc and got the car running(without the AFM connected).

Took her for a spin around the block to make sure everything at least worked and lo and behold, the used turbo that was a "good runner" was pissing oil out the rear seal.

Rage, much rage ensued.

So, dipped into my tuning fund to buy a replacement core for it, all good, bit of a setback but whatever..

ECU went off to Nistune for modification, and he even set it up to recognise the new afm, sweet!

So, got her all booked in at CMS in Seaford(great guys, very knowledgeable on TB's, TD's, RB's, you name it). Decided to give it another run around the block the day before just to make sure all was okay and..... nothing.
Engine would not fire, nada. So troubleshooting time. Checked all the usuals then pulled the plugs, rooted(gave myself a nice jolt in the process of testing em too, not recommended).

One trip to supercheap later and much much swearing and skinned knuckles, and the Mav roared into life once more.

Dropped it off next morning and got a call from CMS after lunch, "Your car's ready mate".

When I got there and had a chat with em, they relayed that my clutch seems to be nearing the end of it's life and doesn't like boost, BUT, they were able to do enough runs to get it tuned up.

Originally I was looking for 10psi of boost(nice and safe), but they backed it off to 7, to stop clutch slip as much as possible and the Mav still returned 140kw at the wheels. With a good clutch and en extra few lbs, she will do 160 easy.

Even without being able to drop the welly on it, the car is SO much better to drive now, really looking forward to seeing what she'll be like with a clutch!

All in all, considering that I did about 99% of the work on this myself in my free time, I'm calling it a positive result!