View Full Version : * TURBOSMART * Internal Wastegate

caveman21
17th July 2016, 03:02 AM
Just wunderin what peoples thoughts were on the turbosmart internal wastegate ? Would it be worth the money to upgrade or is it a wastegage of money lol

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TURBOSMART-Internal-Wastegate-75-For-Nissan-Patrol-ZD30DDTi-3-0TD-2000-7-PSI-/152154629271?hash=item236d1f6497:g:66kAAOSwYSlXhJ

mudski
17th July 2016, 10:43 PM
This uses boost pressure to actuate. The current setup is vacuum. Looks like you will need a boost controller aswell to control the pressure.
It would be interesting to see if it actually works as claimed.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

caveman21
18th July 2016, 01:11 AM
This uses boost pressure to actuate. The current setup is vacuum. Looks like you will need a boost controller aswell to control the pressure.
It would be interesting to see if it actually works as claimed.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Iam installing a boost control valve with my dawes valve like a lot of people do but do mean that the turbosmart internal wastegate would need one just to control the boost presure to the wastegate ? My experiance with this stuff is nill.

BigRAWesty
18th July 2016, 05:58 AM
It basically makes the turbo work off boost, not vacume..

Lots of pros and cons..
Cost, tunability, remote parts stock if needed, 'v' ease of setup, set and forget etc etc..

I personally went dawes / tillix with a needle valve.
Why? In the end it's basically exactly the same just still vacume instead of boost, yet far cheaper...

mudski
18th July 2016, 09:45 AM
Being a variable vane turbo, which from my knowledge, works better with a controlled spool up rate, I can't see how this actuator would benefit as it only controls boost pressure and you would lose the ability to control spool up rate. I'm happy to be proven wrong, as I haven't heard a lot at all, if anything, about this setup. Apart from it uses boost not vacuum to control boost. so if you do got this way, your dawes and needle valve will become useless and a conventional boost control valve, like the turbosmart controller is what will be needed.

caveman21
18th July 2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info MUDSKI and BIGGUWESTY i think i will just stick with the dawes and boost control valve as i have these already to go and it seems to be the best way to go
for me .

nissannewby
18th July 2016, 03:12 PM
Being a variable vane turbo, which from my knowledge, works better with a controlled spool up rate, I can't see how this actuator would benefit as it only controls boost pressure and you would lose the ability to control spool up rate. I'm happy to be proven wrong, as I haven't heard a lot at all, if anything, about this setup. Apart from it uses boost not vacuum to control boost. so if you do got this way, your dawes and needle valve will become useless and a conventional boost control valve, like the turbosmart controller is what will be needed.

Works the same, just uses pressure instead. So when there is no pressure the vanes are closed allowing fast spool up the obviously boost pressure increases so then the actuator starts to open the vanes. Much of a muchness to a dawes and needle valve although once setup a pressure control system can be fine tuned much better than vacuum.

mudski
18th July 2016, 03:26 PM
Works the same, just uses pressure instead. So when there is no pressure the vanes are closed allowing fast spool up the obviously boost pressure increases so then the actuator starts to open the vanes. Much of a muchness to a dawes and needle valve although once setup a pressure control system can be fine tuned much better than vacuum.

Thanks for the input Mat. It would be great to see if anyone has one of these fitted to see if its worth the coin. If the setup is easy etc etc. I think UFI or one of those mobs are doing bigger or better turbos for these 3ltrs now.

nissannewby
18th July 2016, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the input Mat. It would be great to see if anyone has one of these fitted to see if its worth the coin. If the setup is easy etc etc. I think UFI or one of those mobs are doing bigger or better turbos for these 3ltrs now.

Diesel smart have something similar on the market using pressure instead of vacuum. It has mixed reviews. Turbosmart do tend to make some good gear though and they are australian I believe.

Gturbo have been doing turbos for the crd patrols for quite a while now. UFI are starting to more and more as well. A few guys out there now running 130rwkw daily and a few up at 160rwkw. Even a few di motors starting to push some decent figures

Hodge
18th July 2016, 05:26 PM
Here is one (not Turbosmart) fitted to my 2009 CRD.
When my 3L got tuned and dynoed to a Unichip setup, they tuned it to a regular needle and dawes valve setup and weren't happy. Then they fitted this Wastegate set at 19PSI and the car went great after it! The best I've had that car go after that was fitted.
Now the downside is, apparently, the turbo was working much more flat out compared to usual as the vanes are open, and once a 19PSI threshold is reached the wastegate opened up so thats how it works o pressure.
That's all I know about it. Car went 10 x better then with any needle and dawes setting i've ever had.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68187&stc=1

mudski
18th July 2016, 06:58 PM
Thats still a vacuum controlled unit Eric. The turbo smart one shown by the op is boost controlled and you cant use a Dawes.

nissannewby
18th July 2016, 07:08 PM
Thats still a vacuum controlled unit Eric. The turbo smart one shown by the op is boost controlled and you cant use a Dawes.

Thats just a standard crimped atuator can modified to suit. Still pressure controlled.

I read it that they removed the dawes and need valve to put the pressure controlled actuator in its place.

Hodge
18th July 2016, 07:18 PM

100% not vacuum controlled. 100% pressure controlled.
That one hose on the top, went straight from the intercooler, boost / pressure tee. Vacuum was completely done away from the turbo control.

mudski
18th July 2016, 07:20 PM
Thats just a standard crimped atuator can modified to suit. Still pressure controlled.

I read it that they removed the dawes and need valve to put the pressure controlled actuator in its place.

Yeah but he still had the dawes fitted.... Err I dunno, I can't remember tbh. I don't think I actually saw this setup Eric had before he sold it.

mudski
18th July 2016, 07:21 PM
100% not vacuum controlled. 100% pressure controlled.
That one hose on the top, went straight from the intercooler, boost / pressure tee. Vacuum was completely done away from the turbo control.

So you didn't have the Dawes and needle valve in the end? I'm confused. Lol Been a bloody hectic day.

Hodge
18th July 2016, 07:29 PM
So you didn't have the Dawes and needle valve in the end? I'm confused. Lol Been a bloody hectic day.

LOL. Ok...
First I had the needle and dawes setup, which you helped me fit and tune.
Then... JPC installed a Unichip and dynoed it in conjuction with a dawes and needle valve BUT Paul wasn't happy with the results because the dawes and needle were very limiting. Don't ask me why, I didn't understand, and I just listened to the engineers.

Then.... They completely gutted the vaccum turbo control, so ripped out all the dawes and needle assembly and installed this wastegate setup which is pressure controlled. And from there the car went great!!

But as I said, from memory the downside is/was, that the turbo is working overtime, all the time with this setup, because the vanes had no way of being controlled proportionally to the pressure.... or something like that. I don't know. Been a while lol.

I still work with the guy who bought it off me and to this day the car's done a farkload of miles and it hasn't skipped a beat and still goes like shit of a shovel! For how long? I dont know. lol It's a 3L. Roll of the dice.

BigRAWesty
19th July 2016, 12:21 AM
Yep. Biggest issue is you are at max boost all the time..
So sounds like the have worked the Ecu map to offset to max 19psi.

I can't see how though the dawes would be limiting unless they didn't know how the system works..
You can run 30+psi off a dawes/ tillix valve.. the bonus is the ability to allow a small bleed into the system so when your cruzing the boost is reduced and fuel is saved..

But again they may have tweaked the map so it's not chewing fuel..