PDA

View Full Version : How do I know my rings are gone?

Loodfick
16th July 2016, 03:06 PM
Hi all, I am in WA have a '08 patrol diesel. We have a hole in the intake manifold. It is being looked at now but the mechanic says my rings are going. Says there is oil at the intercooler and explains my catch can was put in by the previous owner to limit be amount of oil getting through. I am a bit worried now. What should I look for in order to understand if it is the rings or could it be something else like the injectors? Please help!

the evil twin
16th July 2016, 03:14 PM
Intake manifold and Rings - if i read the post correctly then the engine has been getting dusted so, yeah, probably has dodgy rings now.

Oil in Intercooler - if it is a ZD30 they all have a 'lot' of oil in the intercoolers which is a pain, so the answer is yes, that is why the prev owner fitted the catch can... but... it may be worse on yours IF indeed the rings are shot.

None of those issues has any relation to injectors

threedogs
17th July 2016, 05:25 PM
On a petrol car if the rings are gone[compression],, when you turn it off it will run on a tad.
If compression is good when you turn it off it will stop immediately

Rock Trol
17th July 2016, 05:54 PM
How big is the hole? If not too big I would have thought the pressure from the turbo would have kept dust out.

E.T, how much dust can a diesel injest before its stuffed? The reason I ask is that after I bought my ex Telstra patrol I went to clean the maf and it was covered in carbon. Looked like black fairy floss. Air cleaner was also battered as they had tried to clean it. I suspect they may have driven through bush fire zone and taken cleaner out due to blockage. Sorry for the hijack.

the evil twin
17th July 2016, 06:00 PM
How big is the hole? If not too big I would have thought the pressure from the turbo would have kept dust out.

E.T, how much dust can a diesel injest before its stuffed? The reason I ask is that after I bought my ex Telstra patrol I went to clean the maf and it was covered in carbon. Looked like black fairy floss. Air cleaner was also battered as they had tried to clean it. I suspect they may have driven through bush fire zone and taken cleaner out due to blockage. Sorry for the hijack.

Yeah, up until I saw the other thread I thought the OP meant the air intake as I'd never heard of a hole in the engine intake manifold before...

Dusting? well, that depends... any amount isn't good but continuous dust will erode the turbo vanes, screw up the valve seats, injector tips etc and glaze the bore

Rock Trol
17th July 2016, 06:44 PM
Yeah, up until I saw the other thread I thought the OP meant the air intake as I'd never heard of a hole in the engine intake manifold before...

Dusting? well, that depends... any amount isn't good but continuous dust will erode the turbo vanes, screw up the valve seats, injector tips etc and glaze the bore

thats been on my mind since I found the carbon. It's still running well but how much wear the engine has suffered is anyone's guess.

4bye4
17th July 2016, 08:15 PM
I posted this a short time ago. Might help.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?37616-Blowing-Blue-White-Smoke-is-my-Engine-dead&p=683522&viewfull=1#post683522

happygu
18th July 2016, 07:57 AM
Loodfick,

Your diagnosis and repair comes down to how long the hole was there, where you have been driving it, how good the previous maintenance has been, etc, etc.

Oil in the intercooler does not necessarily mean bad news, as there are plenty of examples out there with oil in the intercooler, but I will say that mine at 100,000 klms is still pretty clean. A Catch Can is something that a lot of owners add to prevent excess oil being fed back up into the engine via the crankcase ventilation back into the intake, and there is a fair bit of excess pressure on most of these engines, and this positive pressure along with the fine oil mist generated by the crank rotating and oil being jetted around under the pistons, means that the oil mist travels back up the line into the intake.

Only a compression test will really tell you what is going on, as if you do the test, and it all comes up within spec, then I would fix the intake manifold, engine flush, new oil and then just drive it.

If the compression test comes back as low, then I would think that grabbing a second hand engine from the wreckers and dropping that in would be your best bet. So far, the CRD's have been pretty good reliability wise, so there are lots of engines at the wreckers and the prices are reasonably cheap.