PDA

View Full Version : Video banners close to nav. bar

GeeYou8
15th July 2016, 09:10 AM
Is it just me, and my old mac book, or do others have the problem that the advertising banners just below the navigation bar accidentally activate when trying to get the cursor to the navigation bar, covering up the navigation bar in the process, or that when the page loads the cursor is on the banner so the video starts.
I have to make a conscious effort to move the cursor around the outside of the banners, If I try to quickly roll over the banners the cursor actually stops on the banner.
Or is it a conspiracy so the website owners can tell their advertisers "We had X number of users open your ad."
Graham

Cuppa
15th July 2016, 10:00 AM
Another solution which is less tedious is to become a forum sponsor which makes those advertising banners disappear.

Sir Roofy
15th July 2016, 10:10 AM
As Cuppa said become a sponsor

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2016, 03:43 PM
Yeah sorry mate I don't see any Advertising. Sponsorship supports the forum and kills the advertising. Win win.

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2016, 03:48 PM
Is it just me, and my old mac book, or do others have the problem that the advertising banners just below the navigation bar accidentally activate when trying to get the cursor to the navigation bar, covering up the navigation bar in the process, or that when the page loads the cursor is on the banner so the video starts.
I have to make a conscious effort to move the cursor around the outside of the banners, If I try to quickly roll over the banners the cursor actually stops on the banner.
Or is it a conspiracy so the website owners can tell their advertisers "We had X number of users open your ad."
Graham

Haha! I just read the last bit. I assure you it is not a conspiracy by any means! Most active members are sponsors so no advertising there. I'm not sure there is any real revenue gained from the pop up adds either unfortunately, I think that's done by the software host. A few years ago we dumped Tappatalk because the Ads were its and no revenue but reinstated it this year simply to help members with photo management. No revenue though.

This forum is not Corporate like some of the other big ones, this is owned by AB the Admin. Soley.

taslucas
15th July 2016, 06:04 PM
*posted via tappatalk from a private yacht in the Bahamas

>>>tappin from tassie

GeeYou8
16th July 2016, 08:12 AM
OK so are the member sponsorship details up to date?
I went there before the original post but it says about removing the side bar (not the issue I have), to send the money to AB (I read earlier that the site had a new owner), the page does not even match the rest of the forum site. Was going to send the money but am cautious as a few things did not add up.
Graham
p.s. Sorry for post in wrong area. I thought I had posted original post in general discussion.

AB
16th July 2016, 09:14 AM
Hi Graham,

Thanks for your support mate, yes the website has two types of layouts which may confuse things. One is the main website and the other layout is vbulletin which runs the forum.

The link for the information on sponsorship is here.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/sponsorship.html

Most members don't mind the side bar adverts as that is our main direct sponsors but I can remove that for specific sponsors if they want.

The change of ownership you read might've been an old April fools gag I played on the members a while back I think lol

Sprock
16th July 2016, 10:52 AM
I stopped using tapatalk because it was jammed up with ads then when I tried to log back in it wouldn't let me so now I'm just on here via safari ( Google search ) but it's hard to use & I can't find anything , what does everyone else use ? I'm happy to become a sponsor & contribute to ABs high flying lifestyle 😝 if that helps me access it better ?

taslucas
16th July 2016, 11:37 AM
I stopped using tapatalk because it was jammed up with ads then when I tried to log back in it wouldn't let me so now I'm just on here via safari ( Google search ) but it's hard to use & I can't find anything , what does everyone else use ? I'm happy to become a sponsor & contribute to ABs high flying lifestyle 😝 if that helps me access it better ?
I use tappatalk, as do a lot of others. It was disabled for a while but works now. I don't see any ads on tappa

Edit: occasionally there are small ads at the bottom but they aren't the colourful pop up crappy ones
>>>tappin from tassie

Bacho86
16th July 2016, 12:15 PM
I use tappatalk, as do a lot of others. It was disabled for a while but works now. I don't see any ads on tappa

Edit: occasionally there are small ads at the bottom but they aren't the colourful pop up crappy ones
>>>tappin from tassie

Yeh I use Tapatalk as well, small adds every now an then but not a big deal - access and photo uploading heaps easy with it when using phone

Edit: Being a sponsor makes no difference to the view via Tapatalk, however it's still worthwhile doing to support AB in keeping this place going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
16th July 2016, 12:26 PM
so now I'm just on here via safari ( Google search ) but it's hard to use & I can't find anything , what does everyone else use ? I'm happy to become a sponsor & contribute to ABs high flying lifestyle �� if that helps me access it better ?

I access the forum using Safari without any issues, might be because I’ve learned my way around over time, but seems on a par with most other forums I visit. Each has it’s own little quirks. As a sponsor the appearance is much ‘cleaner’ being virtually ad free & completely free of distracting & annoying moving banners & pop ups (& even AB’s christmas lights can be turned off once you’ve grown tired of the smashing them at full volume in order to irritate the wife!).

This is how I see it using Safari. (2 pics)

Sprock
17th July 2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks Taslucas , I'll give Tapa another go . Yeah Cuppa via Safari on the iPhone I can get to different layouts - 1 same as you show & another , if I didn't have such a deep seated hatred for computers I'd have a look at it on the laptop & see what it looks like - I tend to want to frisbee the laptop so the wife keeps me away from it .

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2016, 12:26 PM
Yeah I use Safari on the iPhone for all my forum access but use Atappa whenever I want to upload a pic. It's a winner for pics as I used to use photobucket but it was a hassle.

In install Tappa and reinstall it and go for it.

Cuppa
17th July 2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks Taslucas , I'll give Tapa another go . Yeah Cuppa via Safari on the iPhone I can get to different layouts - 1 same as you show & another , if I didn't have such a deep seated hatred for computers I'd have a look at it on the laptop & see what it looks like - I tend to want to frisbee the laptop so the wife keeps me away from it .

I feel the same about using a phone to access the net ........ in fact I don’t, I have data turned off on my phone & just have an Aldi pre-paid doohickey for calls.

BigRAWesty
18th July 2016, 06:13 AM
I think we've talked about this but being a vendor sponsor I still get adds, on chrome..
But do use mostly tapatalk. .
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/193.jpg

GeeYou8
3rd October 2016, 07:45 PM
Ok, so I paid my $20 last week & nothing has changed1
Graham

AB
3rd October 2016, 07:51 PM
Ok, so I paid my $20 last week & nothing has changed1 Graham Apologies Graham, your sponsorship came through on Friday and I have only just checked everything tonight but you should be good to go now.

MudRunnerTD
3rd October 2016, 08:19 PM
Apologies Graham, your sponsorship came through on Friday and I have only just checked everything tonight but you should be good to go now.

AB his banner is out of date mate? Did you group him correctly?

AB
3rd October 2016, 08:24 PM
AB his banner is out of date mate? Did you group him correctly? Thanks mate yeah that was the old banner...

GeeYou8
4th October 2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks, all good now, I just have to get out of the habit of moving the cursor to a safe place after every click.
Graham

jack
22nd October 2016, 09:25 AM
Damn, now I'm getting video banner adds on the iPad. Appearing at the bottom of the screen and reappear each time I scroll down.
Only on the iPad, PC and laptop are ok.

Only started last night, AB what have you done?

Plasnart
22nd October 2016, 12:56 PM
Damn, now I'm getting video banner adds on the iPad. Appearing at the bottom of the screen and reappear each time I scroll down.
Only on the iPad, PC and laptop are ok.

Only started last night, AB what have you done?

Same here!!

AB
22nd October 2016, 02:32 PM
Damn, now I'm getting video banner adds on the iPad. Appearing at the bottom of the screen and reappear each time I scroll down. Only on the iPad, PC and laptop are ok. Only started last night, AB what have you done? I haven't done anything this time...lol

Can you take a screen shot mate?

jack
22nd October 2016, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=AB;701011]I haven't done anything this time...lol

Can you take a screen shot mate?[/QUOTE

Sorry don't know how to do that on an iPad. If I click anywhere on the screen the banner disappears, if I click on the banner it goes to a video add. Never had this before and only happens on the forum.
Are you able to screen shot Plasy?

Winnie
22nd October 2016, 03:08 PM

Sorry don't know how to do that on an iPad. If I click anywhere on the screen the banner disappears, if I click on the banner it goes to a video add. Never had this before and only happens on the forum.
Hey Jack, to screenshot you need to hold the home button and the power button at the same time for about 1 second.

jack
22nd October 2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks Winnie, that gives me a few options including 'copy' but how do I save it?

Avo
22nd October 2016, 05:11 PM
remember Doggy when he said he was going to do that just for Clunk..looks like you all get it aswell

Woof
22nd October 2016, 05:15 PM
remember Doggy when he said he was going to do that just for Clunk..looks like you all get it aswell

Just a farewell gift to everyone......................hahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha

Plasnart
22nd October 2016, 05:34 PM

I pressed the X button on it and it hasnt returned.

Woof
22nd October 2016, 05:57 PM
Just a farewell gift to everyone......................hahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha

I really had nothing to do with this, maybe AB whacked the dodgy turbo on the forum to speed things up

jack
22nd October 2016, 08:23 PM
I haven't done anything this time...lol

Can you take a screen shot mate?

Here you go, and again thanks Winnie I learnt something new today (probably forgot 1,000).
Already owned an XTrail and don't need any adds for it.

NissanGQ4.2
22nd October 2016, 08:45 PM
Ads have been down the bottom for ages, get of TD's meds

Plasnart
22nd October 2016, 08:52 PM

Nah thats not right toddie. I never had ads at the bottom on my tablet but last night they popped up. I pressed X and it disappeared but it came back tonight and i pressed X again. Gone for now tho.

NissanGQ4.2
22nd October 2016, 08:57 PM
Nah thats not right toddie. I never had ads at the bottom on my tablet but last night they popped up. I pressed X and it disappeared but it came back tonight and i pressed X again. Gone for now tho.

Refer 2 post #82 Plassy

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?37953-2016-2017-Annual-Voluntary-Subscription&highlight=forum+sponsorship

jack
22nd October 2016, 09:27 PM

First time I've had these and I mostly use the iPad. They don't just stick to the bottom but actually can move to the middle of the screen.
Just charging the iPad now but will try another screen capture later.

I'm not talking about this type of add but a floating video add that starts a video when you click anywhere on it, and it's only on the iPad.

jack
22nd October 2016, 10:49 PM
Here's one with it at the top.

Clunk
22nd October 2016, 10:56 PM
Here's one with it at the top.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69501&stc=1

hit it sveral times with a big hammer, that'll fix it

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2016, 10:13 AM
First time I've had these and I mostly use the iPad. They don't just stick to the bottom but actually can move to the middle of the screen.
Just charging the iPad now but will try another screen capture later.

I'm not talking about this type of add but a floating video add that starts a video when you click anywhere on it, and it's only on the iPad.

its apple, there's ya problem *L*

Have you scanned your ipad for malware???

Clunk
23rd October 2016, 11:54 AM

nut t's an apple........ they don't suffer from malware or viruses hahahahaha

Plasnart
23rd October 2016, 12:16 PM

Happening on my Samsung tablet, no virus, no fruit issues. There must be some reason other than user or the device.

Clunk
23rd October 2016, 12:22 PM
Happening on my Samsung tablet, no virus, no fruit issues. There must be some reason other than user or the device.

click clickey click on certain undesirable links perhaps

jack
23rd October 2016, 02:41 PM
No malware, no virus and IOS is up to date. If it was malware or virus it would affect everything not just the forum.
Really starting to pi55 me off now.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2016, 04:55 PM
nut t's an apple........ they don't suffer from malware or viruses hahahahaha

bahahahaha that's funny, Yes they do, mainly if the device is jail broken but its becoming more common that non jail broken devises are becoming infected.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2016, 05:22 PM
Apollofish and Plasnart

Can you guys check for me if your running the mobile version of the forum on you ipad / samsung tablet please.

If your not sure what it is, scroll right 2 the bottom of the forums page and let me know if it says default style in bottom left corner or Full Site in the middle

Cheers

Toddie

Plasnart
23rd October 2016, 06:00 PM
Apollofish and Plasnart

Can you guys check for me if your running the mobile version of the forum on you ipad / samsung tablet please.

If your not sure what it is, scroll right 2 the bottom of the forums page and let me know if it says default style in bottom left corner or Full Site in the middle

Cheers

Toddie

Mine says default style at bottom left toddmeister.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2016, 06:17 PM
Mine says default style at bottom left toddmeister.

bummer, throws that theory out the window. Unfortunalty I don't own a tablet 2 test on :(

Plasnart
23rd October 2016, 06:25 PM
bummer, throws that theory out the window. Unfortunalty I don't own a tablet 2 test on :(

I always have it on full site style mate. I cant get used to the mobile style.

jack
23rd October 2016, 06:27 PM
Same as Plasy, default style.

Clunk
23rd October 2016, 06:32 PM
Try clearing your cache, cookies and history

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2016, 06:46 PM

x2 thanks clunk

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2016, 06:49 PM
I always have it on full site style mate. I cant get used to the mobile style.

yeh I'm not a fan of the mobile style either, changed it 2 mobile style on the phone and got the ads up the top so though it might be a mobile style issue hence why I'm not getting it on the lappy

jack
23rd October 2016, 06:54 PM

Already tried that last night and again today.

Clunk
23rd October 2016, 11:35 PM
Well you've cleaned your maf and disconnected the battery for half an hour. ....... I'm at a loss ;)

AB
24th October 2016, 07:29 AM

Try now Jack?

jack
24th October 2016, 09:43 AM
Try now Jack?
Still there unfortunatly.

Plasnart
24th October 2016, 12:36 PM
Now on my phone too!!

Maxhead
24th October 2016, 03:58 PM
FYI- I never see any ads as I run ADBLOCK extension butI have just paused adblock and get ads at the bottom on PC

NissanGQ4.2
24th October 2016, 05:11 PM
FYI- I never see any ads as I run ADBLOCK extension butI have just paused adblock and get ads at the bottom on PC

I believe AB is having issues with removing the bottom Ad hence why its been there for a while, but the top one is a new issue, and I can't replicate it on my lappy :(

Plasnart
24th October 2016, 05:14 PM
I believe AB is having issues with removing the bottom Ad hence why its been there for a while, but the top one is a new issue, and I can't replicate it on my lappy :(

I dont have top one todd just bottom one on tablet and phone. Its stuck on carlton draught too. Surprise!!

AB
24th October 2016, 05:19 PM
Yeah as Toddy mentioned we had issues with the bottom banner, is it just the bottom one we are talking about, nothing else?

Maxhead
24th October 2016, 05:27 PM
Yeah bottom only

Plasnart
24th October 2016, 05:30 PM
Yep for me bottom only.

NissanGQ4.2
24th October 2016, 06:13 PM
Yeah as Toddy mentioned we had issues with the bottom banner, is it just the bottom one we are talking about, nothing else?

Look at Jack's picture in post #56 looks like double ads the one under the default style I think might be the one he refers 2 as a floating ad

AB
24th October 2016, 07:36 PM
Let me have another crack tomorrow Jack...

Sir Roofy
24th October 2016, 07:53 PM
ive had them since nbn started a month ago
plus heaps of junk mail in e/mails

AB
25th October 2016, 06:44 AM
All fixed Jack and others?

Plasnart
25th October 2016, 07:19 AM
So far no ads!

Maxhead
25th October 2016, 07:26 AM

Nek minut....the forum goes up in smoke :)

jack
25th October 2016, 08:04 AM

Looks good, thanks AB

NissanGQ4.2
25th October 2016, 05:25 PM

woot woot, no bottom ad either :) So what did you do or more like what didn't you do in the first place? *L*

AB
25th October 2016, 05:59 PM
woot woot, no bottom ad either :) So what did you do or more like what didn't you do in the first place? *L* The HTML code was put into a front end type area of the forum which had the standard "if" conditional code of user group numbers to show or to not show.

Seems like the if request is not supported in that particular module so it had to be removed and use the standard vbulletin "if" conditions.

Hard coding in the files doesn't seem to accept it in that footer template either.

The only condition that seemed right was if user has 0 posts, show ad.

It will hurt Ctr but who cares..

Plasnart
25th October 2016, 06:13 PM
The HTML code was put into a front end type area of the forum which had the standard "if" conditional code of user group numbers to show or to not show.

Seems like the if request is not supported in that particular module so it had to be removed and use the standard vbulletin "if" conditions.

Hard coding in the files doesn't seem to accept it in that footer template either.

The only condition that seemed right was if user has 0 posts, show ad.

It will hurt Ctr but who cares..

Is this English???

Haha thanks AB all is well again in the little Gaulish village.