PDA

View Full Version : Newby with blue smoke

LEXUSGS300
14th July 2016, 10:10 PM
Hi all
Just got myself a 2002 GU ZD30ttdi (grenade) so i been told. It's not rego'd at the moment but hoping to get this done real soon. I need to fix the smoke that's coming out from under the inter cooler, thought it was the ic so I've ordered a new one as the originals tend to leak so I read on here. I have since found the source to be a break in the rocker cover gasket on the drivers side which I'm hoping will be an easy fix with a new gasket. The problem I have is that there is a fair bit of blue smoke. The vehicle has been standing for about 4/5 mths and I've just driven it home. Someone has told me it could be the rings but also cos it's been sat for a long time. Any help/advise would be grateful at this stage.
Thanks

4bye4
14th July 2016, 10:20 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate. Blue smoke from where? I assume you mean from the exhaust. I guess time will tell. If it has been sitting for months, you may just have stale fuel in the tank. Just watch and see if it starts to clear after a new tank of fuel. The issue may be just stale fuel or filters right up to indications that a major engine fail is on the way. How does it sound and drive? A compression test might be helpful if you suspect rings. I think I would just keep it gentle with a couple of oil changes and see how it responds.

Bigcol
14th July 2016, 10:23 PM
welcome to the forum mate

as 4bye said, could be stale fuel, or over due for an oil service

Bigcol
14th July 2016, 10:23 PM
forgot to say, not all 3L grenade, only special ones

threedogs
15th July 2016, 10:31 AM
Hi all
Just got myself a 2002 GU ZD30ttdi (grenade) so i been told. It's not rego'd at the moment but hoping to get this done real soon. I need to fix the smoke that's coming out from under the inter cooler, thought it was the ic so I've ordered a new one as the originals tend to leak so I read on here. I have since found the source to be a break in the rocker cover gasket on the drivers side which I'm hoping will be an easy fix with a new gasket. The problem I have is that there is a fair bit of blue smoke. The vehicle has been standing for about 4/5 mths and I've just driven it home. Someone has told me it could be the rings but also cos it's been sat for a long time. Any help/advise would be grateful at this stage.
Thanks
Hi mate and welcome to the forum, could you pop over to the intros and tell us a bit about yourself.
No harm done just something the forum asks of us all, and most of all enjoy