PDA

View Full Version : Temperature gauge installation advice request

dom14
13th July 2016, 04:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Is there a way that I can install this temperature gauge sensor?
It's a cylindrical sensor with no built in thread for fitting it.

I need to fit it onto either the cylinder head-radiator hose joint or thermostat housing I think.

Is it possible to drill a hole and use high heat epoxy to fit it?!

I can't think of any other way to fit a sensor like this, other than using a JB weld or similar kinda high heat epoxy, and I'm not sure whether the epoxy can hold the pressure.

I used normal epoxy on leaking welch plugs(after couple of failed welch plug installations) which has stopped it for good.
So, I'm thinking it's quite doable?!!

What is the best spot for senor installation? Thermostat housing or cylinder head-radiator hose joint?

threedogs
13th July 2016, 05:07 PM
Thats a capillary style [mechanical],,,they normally fit in the top hose with another piece of rubber
so it wont leak.
I used a billet water temp sender and just cut the top hose to suit

nissannewby
13th July 2016, 07:25 PM
Can it be used with a compression type fitting?

dom14
13th July 2016, 08:41 PM
Can it be used with a compression type fitting?

What is a "compression type fitting"?
Thanx

dom14
13th July 2016, 08:45 PM
What is the best spot for senor installation for the best and most reliable temperature reading?

Thermostat housing or cylinder head-radiator hose jointj(tope hose)?

nissannewby
13th July 2016, 08:56 PM
What is a "compression type fitting"?
Thanx

Boost gauges and egt gauges use them a lot. They are also in plumbing and a lot of low pressure stuff. You put the probe through a fitting and it has a brass or teflon seal on your probe. Then nut then goes over this and as you do it up on the fitting it grips and seals on the probe.

Cylinder head would be best. Thermostat housing before the thermostat is an easy and common option also.

nissannewby
13th July 2016, 09:00 PM
Like this....

dom14
13th July 2016, 09:55 PM
Boost gauges and egt gauges use them a lot. They are also in plumbing and a lot of low pressure stuff. You put the probe through a fitting and it has a brass or teflon seal on your probe. Then nut then goes over this and as you do it up on the fitting it grips and seals on the probe.

Cylinder head would be best. Thermostat housing before the thermostat is an easy and common option also.

Thanx mate.

I just realized fitting sensor near the thermostat probably not the best way 'cos the RB30 thermostat is in the block, where the bottom radiator pipe fits. Water flows from bottom to top of the radiator, so the sensor won't show the real temperature until the thermostat opens up from a cold start.
I hope I'm right about that!?

dom14
14th July 2016, 12:48 AM
Like this....

I think this is the way to go. With a bit of epoxy, it should be get water tight.