PDA

View Full Version : Hi!- 4500EFI rejuvination questions

Bushwacker2
12th July 2016, 01:50 PM
Hi team, I am new here ( see intro). My old 4500 at 240,000k is due for a bit of a freshen up. this vehicle has lived with us in remote areas all its life and never actually had a formal"tuneup", I have just done filters and oils regularly from new.
She burns zero oil ( believe it or not) and just feels a bit sluggish ( never was a rocketship)
The motor runs fine and apart from a stuffed clutch ( nearly no pedal left)and a bit of slack in the drivetrain ( annoying) she is straight as a die. I have fixed the dreaded wobble, and she drives really well.
I thought about an update, but, you know.....There isnt much that the new models will do that the old girl wont do, and there is no added comfort...so I am sticking with this vehicle for now.

I am after some suggestions as to what the combined wisdom might suggest as good moves to pep up the old girl.
Cheers

jay see
12th July 2016, 04:48 PM
Without getting into the internals of the engine, they say a 2.5" exhaust with extractors does it good. I'm assuming that all leads and plugs are in good order? Tappet adjustment also helps. Once your happy with what you've done get it to a mechanic or even on a dyno.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

04OFF
12th July 2016, 05:02 PM
Mine is about the same Ks, was driving OK around town, but i only noticed a problem when i went to do a steep hill climb (off road) and it was obviously down on grunt.

On later inspection, i found a small split in the rubber crossover pipe that bolts onto the throttle body, these get so brittle after cooking on top the engine for 15 years, i replaced this pipe with a new aftermarket one, i also changed the air cleaner, cleaned the Air Flow Sensor, cleaned the Throttle Body.

It now idles smoother than it ever has before (not that it was ever bad) and seems slightly more responsive, ive not done any steep hill climbs yet, but giving it "what for" going uphill onto the freeway, it seems to pull as well as i remember.

Mine is a 100% standard 4.5 + safari snorkel.

Bushwacker2
13th July 2016, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys, yeah, I think I will just try to get her over a dyno for a proper tune ( never been done)if I can find one outside Perth... and have all the systems checked. There is a small exhaust leak ( its the original system!) so a 2.5 and extractors will go on soon.
New clutch going in in a few weeks.
Apart from being a bit exy on fuel, and a bit down on power compared to modern stuff, these are a great solid vehicle.
cheers