PDA

View Full Version : I'm stranded - 4.8 blew a radiator apart and then hole in replacement

SpecialDave
11th July 2016, 08:28 PM
My pressure is way up and split the top open on my radiator so I managed to get a replacement from wreckers and it either had or developed a small hole - what would cause my system to have increased pressure - I'm sitting in a car park on a night that may have snow - I have heaps of tools etc.

Heater core? Any suggestions as I'm lowcash and need to get her going at least to limp home

Sir Roofy
11th July 2016, 08:42 PM
thermostat jammed shut hope someone is close by to help you out

SpecialDave
11th July 2016, 08:46 PM
How does one Unjam thermostat?

Sir Roofy
11th July 2016, 08:52 PM
How does one Unjam thermostat?

if you think that's the problem just take it out and get yourself home
keeping an eye on temps you should be ok

macca
11th July 2016, 10:23 PM
Pressure is due to cap not working or leak from a cylinder pressurising the system.

Take the cap off and check for air bubbling out of the radiator. If not too bad you could possible drive it.

mudski
11th July 2016, 10:33 PM
My pressure is way up and split the top open on my radiator so I managed to get a replacement from wreckers and it either had or developed a small hole - what would cause my system to have increased pressure - I'm sitting in a car park on a night that may have snow - I have heaps of tools etc.

Heater core? Any suggestions as I'm lowcash and need to get her going at least to limp home
where are you?
I'd try just removing the thermostat just to get home. Hopefully this might help.

SpecialDave
12th July 2016, 12:09 AM
Therms removed now in motion - fingers crossed

MudRunnerTD
12th July 2016, 12:16 AM
Good luck bud, hope you don't have far to go. I assume your not in the RACV?

SpecialDave
12th July 2016, 12:27 AM
Nope and couldn't afford to keep roadside (going through very ordinary divorce) so it's gotten very hot and I'm pulled over letting her cool - only another 20kms to go

MudRunnerTD
12th July 2016, 01:11 AM
Bugger mate, sorry dude, that would be shit. Have you got plenty of water? Where are you? If I was close I'd come get you mate but I'm in Geelong mate.

MudRunnerTD
12th July 2016, 01:15 AM
Crack the radiator cap so it can't build any pressure on the rest of the drive.

SpecialDave
12th July 2016, 02:00 AM
Thanks legends and you are - all legends!!

I made it just - freeway was fine but as soon as slow to corner etc up she went. I ended up running a couple of mostly ambers but i did have my orange flashing light on the roof going and there was no traffic at all so I feel like it was on the border of ok.

I didn't let it cook on the way home but there's a suspicious oil smell that requires investigation - think I maybe looking at mechanic as I don't have the time to do a diy this time.

Selling a house that I pay for but am not allowed to live in and going through divorce with a little fella to consider (whom I see as regularly as is possible and ultimately will be 50:50) and a job that is driving me bonkers but I've been there 5 1/2 years so 18 months and long service if I can manage to hang on! It's all a fair whack!

Any newbies reading this take note, being a top bloke (or person to be non gender specific) is a simple as contributing and sharing and helping out when, where and how you can, it eventually comes back. when needed it most like tonight the lads came through for me and I was at the end of my emotional and mental capacity to take life's shit too... The lesson I learnt through all the crap is put my damn pride aside and ask for help if I need it. There's no shame in asking for help - the shame would be to not be greatful and reciprocate when you get the chance.

Thanks again I owe you all a beer or 6!

jay see
12th July 2016, 04:57 AM
Save yourself a few dollars and start with the simple ones first. Throw the thermostat in a pot of boiling water and put it in a bowl of cold water do it a couple of times and see it open and close, if that works ok fill up radiator with some water and put a new radiator cap on. If it still no good yes, you have some problems.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

macca
12th July 2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks legends and you are - all legends!!
I didn't let it cook on the way home but there's a suspicious oil smell that requires investigation - think I maybe looking at mechanic as I don't have the time to do a diy this time.

Don't like the sound of that, could be something else certainly hope it is for your sake.

SpecialDave
12th July 2016, 08:19 AM
I chucked it into a pot of cold water and slowly brought it to boil the thermo wasn't touching the pot, it was suspended and completely submerged - it no do nuffing!

I think it's cactus - I'll replace with a genuine anyone know of a place either port Melbourne or sunshine or in between the 2 that would stock?

jay see
12th July 2016, 08:29 AM
I chucked it into a pot of cold water and slowly brought it to boil the thermo wasn't touching the pot, it was suspended and completely submerged - it no do nuffing!

I think it's cactus - I'll replace with a genuine anyone know of a place either port Melbourne or sunshine or in between the 2 that would stock?
The only one that I know that has genuine would be Mr Nissan or maybe mudski.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Nichw91
12th July 2016, 10:41 AM
It doesn't look good from what you have discribed. If your smelling oil in the radiator and it was running hot on a cold evening with the thermostat removed, then I would say you have a blown cylinder head gasket or a cracked head. Probably caused from the faulty thermostat you tested. If your going to change the gasket yourself, have the head checked by an automotive machine shop to make sure there is no damage.

SpecialDave
12th July 2016, 11:07 AM
The oil smell wasn't from rad, not even from head more either old spill or old leak towards the trannie and I thoroughly checked there's no water in the oil so head gasket seems sound - when I was doing freeway driving it stayed at temp no prob it was stop start that sent the needle north and a head gasket etc would have boiled regardless of speed and airflow so I'm hopeful a thermostat replacement will fix it..

I hope

MudRunnerTD
12th July 2016, 12:21 PM
Good luck mate, certainly sounds like the Thermostat is knackered. any Bursons or Repco should sell an after market job if you want to save some cash. There is a Repco in Sunshine on the corner of Andersons Rd near the Cop Shop. Good luck mate.

nipagu7
13th July 2016, 08:16 AM
just a thought . might pay to check the radiator fan is working properly .

SpecialDave
16th July 2016, 02:25 PM
Thermostat replaced - ran at temp and didn't decide to go all nuclear so far so good. I did a full radiator and coolant flush and also replaced all engine oil whilst working on it as its a bloody nice day to be outside doing man stuff!!!

I had a crapload of white smoke on startup and will do maf clean next. Idles well, oil still clean after a run so I think cylinder head ok....

Thanks all and sundry for legendary help guidance and advice - now if the d&$)head mate whose factory I parked in didn't change the gate locks so now I don't have a key and can't drive anywhere other than around a car park I'd be right to get going on a proper drive.....

If he wasn't the good bloke who fetched me a replacement radiator road side and houses me when needed I'd just just the bull bar and sort the gates out Darrel Kerrigan style :)