PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering continually coming loose

Eben
7th July 2016, 02:31 PM
I have a 1998 GU patrol, the 2.8L model (rd28) and I have an ongoing issue with my power steering belt. The belt started to screech a lot, so I tightened the belt and the noise went away, although every time I take the car off road; into mud or water, the belt begins to screech a lot at full lock and occasionally just while turning the wheel. This has happened multiple times and every time I just have to re-tighten the belt, is it normal to have to tighten the power steering after each trip off road? The belt is pretty new so is it possible that it is still stretching?

mudnut
7th July 2016, 02:47 PM
Try a Nissan belt. That or the pulley's surfaces are glazed.

Robo
7th July 2016, 02:55 PM
Belts stretch a bit from new, but don't need constant adjusting, something wrong for sure.
The adjusting lock nut isn't coming loose and then losing tension on belt as a result?.
Or simply the wrong belt fitted ??.

4bye4
7th July 2016, 03:01 PM
Don't know much about powersteering but do know a lot about belts. Check the pulleys as above for glazing and also check that you don't have a hot bearing . Heat will make a belt stretch. Also worth checking that a pulley is not worn out. If there is a "step" in the pulley it is worn out. Belts drive on the edges or sides touching the pulley. If the belt is touching the bottom of the pulley, the pulley is worn out or the belt is worn out or the belt pitch (angle) is wrong. Hope that helps. Cheers Tony

mudski
8th July 2016, 11:15 AM
A simple way to see if the pulley grooves are worn or the belt width is not correct width is the belt ride out on the pulley. The belt should be sitting just proud of the pulley, with the first outer section of the belt showing. The next corded section of the belt should be level or just bellow the top of the pulley. Check the V of the pulley and make sure the edges are not rounded. They should be dead straight.