PDA

View Full Version : Drive train... have I done something?

Damozie
3rd July 2016, 10:27 AM
Hi guys,

Yesterday I was pulling up to the lights facing down hill. Passed through a narrow gap to get passed a car pulled up at the lights so I could turn left, forgot it was in 3rd gear (manual 3.0L patrol) thinking it was in second and stalled it on brakes. I pushed the clutch in and thought I'd just roll start it in third gear.... the rear wheels locked up momentarily, wheels screeched until I pushed the clutch back in and started it on the key.

I just want to know if I could have really rooted something/weakened something somewhere in the drive train because there was no way this thing was going to roll start, I could only imagine the strain on things when it locked up :S.

BTW I was going slow... about 10Ks/hr

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 10:33 AM
All I think thats happened is there was too much compression and that locked the rear wheels {LSD}
The drive train is as tuff as they come so I don't think any harm was done. Drive as normal but listen
and feel for anything out of the ordinary

Damozie
3rd July 2016, 10:35 AM
Ok cool. Was wondering if I could have weakened engine/transmission mounts or something could be latent and show itself when I'm giving it a hard time offroad. So far no funny noises etc. Very surprised how much compression the 3L has even in 3rd gear!

threedogs
3rd July 2016, 11:44 AM
The ZD30 Di motor has a compression ration of 17.9:1,, so yes very high