PDA

View Full Version : GU Wagon Swaybar selection help

04OFF
30th June 2016, 08:37 AM
So last weekend i snapped my rear sway bar doing this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm39vpYZOAw

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/20160626_140006%20Medium.jpg

No big deal, but now i need a new rear sway bar.

After sniffing around a bit, there seems to be a few different options on GUs, different years/models have different thickness and mount spacing etc.

I also have the option of aftermarket.

Mine is a 1999 4.5L petrol, so im not even sure what other years models are the same?

So should i be going thicker or stay the same , or other option ? (i was happy with what i had) any advise appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

rusty_nail
30th June 2016, 11:30 AM
i would be interested in this too, ive bent my front sway bar

threedogs
30th June 2016, 12:38 PM
some awesome articulation there really highlights your suspension set up.
Wouldn't you use sway bar dis-connects to further improve your articulation lol
MudRunnerTD is sorting his out at this moment to I think

04OFF
30th June 2016, 02:34 PM
Thanks 3D, yeh the front already has disconnects (and had one side disconnected in that vid)

The rear will flex awesome with the sway bar connected, and ive heard people suggesting the rear sway bar connected actually helps encourage the front to flex more ?

From my observations, the rear on a GU always seems to be easy to get flex out of, the front end is the hard part to get working, and any flex pics i see, im always looking at the front, and if you look at some flex pics on google, some people with big $$ spent on suspension, have almost zero flex in the front (its all in the rear).

mudski
30th June 2016, 08:24 PM
This really depends on your budget too. I spoke with a chap last week with a GU wagon and he did the same as you on the rear. He then bought the Superior superflex sway bars for both front and rear. He loves them. Even with standard radius arms in. He reckons the on road ride is slightly stiffer that the oem ones, maybe they had gone a bit soft or something not sure, but he said off road the flex was way better. Without disconneting the bars too.
I think myself will be going this way when the time comes. But with some superflex hybrid arms to match.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

nissannewby
30th June 2016, 08:53 PM
I would look at the superior items. Or if standard ones are much cheaper then just use one of them again.

If you use it a lot you will still eventually break them. They are basically a spring designed to prevent body roll. So as you "flex" it has to twist quite a lot. You can use thicker items but they will most likely be stiffer. But the more you twist them they will obviosly wear out just like any other suspension component on the car.

Yendor
30th June 2016, 09:44 PM
So that's why you got up that hill on the weekend I couldn't.... no sway bars..... LOL

MudRunnerTD
30th June 2016, 10:39 PM
How thick is the one that broke? Is it 18mm or 21mm or 23mm? The early GU ran the GQ 18mm I think. I broke mine and have fitted a 23mm after market from ProDiesel in Geelong. Very happy with it.

04OFF
1st July 2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, i really don't want a firmer ride, i do like some comfort these days.

MR i measure mine at 18mm, do you know what size a 2005 model would have ?

Do you know if all years/models are interchangeable from a mounting point of view ?