PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 just went bang....

shaun100
29th June 2016, 08:53 AM
Gday all, Help please. Driving along last night and all of a sudden a bang, engine stops and all dash lights come on. Pull over, engine cranks over as if it has no compression and a bit of a tinny sound / rattle. 2005 Gu 3.0 d AUTO. Any ideas what I can check or who I can get it towed to to have the problem diagnosed. Im in Perth north of the river. Thanks

Sir Roofy
29th June 2016, 09:58 AM
Not sounding good compression test first
Good luck with it

4bye4
29th June 2016, 10:23 AM
Try Lee Harding or Daniel Harding at WA Motor Mechanics Wangara. (08) 9409 1903. Don't know them myself but they get a good wright up on the local club forum. Also VR Aurtos, Prestige Pde Wangara. Again I don't use them but another club member says they are very good.

4bye4
29th June 2016, 10:30 AM
Hey mate, could you please keep us updated on the result? 2005 is a later model for a grenade. I would be interested on what you find and the K's and type of work its done. As you can see in my signature I have a 2005 as well. thanks and good luck with it. Tony

Cuppa
29th June 2016, 10:39 AM
Gday all, Help please. Driving along last night and all of a sudden ....

Sorry to hear this.

Just out of interest was the motor working hard at the time or just cruising along?

Rossco
29th June 2016, 10:46 AM
Bugger mate, no good. All the best with it. . .

threedogs
29th June 2016, 10:52 AM
Hey mate, could you please keep us updated on the result? 2005 is a later model for a grenade. I would be interested on what you find and the K's and type of work its done. As you can see in my signature I have a 2005 as well. thanks and good luck with it. Tony

In my travels from shop to shop there is a growing trend of more CRD
in for new motors, be it that timing cover coolant leak, or loose oil pump screws.
Ive even seen them with 3 and 4 with holes, with the years ranging up into the 2010 plus.
Mileage varied as well from as low as 30K

4bye4
29th June 2016, 10:56 AM
in for new motors, be it that timing cover coolant leak, or loose oil pump screws.
Ive even seen them with 3 and 4 with holes, with the years ranging up into the 2010 plus.
2005 would be a Di TD not a CRD. Anyway we may be jumping the gun (I hope) and it may not be a grenade at all.

threedogs
29th June 2016, 10:59 AM
True,,, plenty still going strong with 400K on them

Yendor
29th June 2016, 12:38 PM
When trying to start the engine does the drive belt on the front of the engine rotate?

heaths_gu
29th June 2016, 05:21 PM
X2 with what yendor's thoughts are. I thought mine had gone bang not too long ago, but it was only the belt pulley had failed.

threedogs
29th June 2016, 05:28 PM
Gday all, Help please. Driving along last night and all of a sudden a bang, engine stops and all dash lights come on. Pull over, engine cranks over as if it has no compression and a bit of a tinny sound / rattle. 2005 Gu 3.0 d AUTO. Any ideas what I can check or who I can get it towed to to have the problem diagnosed. Im in Perth north of the river. Thanks

Whats the plan of attack ???

Softy
29th June 2016, 06:57 PM

I have been saying this for a little bit now.. CRD's are coming into that age zone.. all off a sudden the "Anti-grenade CRD's" are blowing up... Go Figure. ;)

My 03 keeps chugging along. lol

Yendor
29th June 2016, 08:08 PM
X2 with what yendor's thoughts are. I thought mine had gone bang not too long ago, but it was only the belt pulley had failed.

I was thinking more along the lines of a stuffed flexplate.

It doesn't sound like grenade symptoms to me.

pjhsv
29th June 2016, 11:37 PM

Be careful trying to crank it. If you've damaged a piston or valve or something, cranking it might cause more damage and end up costing more.

Any oil in the intake or coming out of the exhaust at all?

When it happened, do you know if it was blowing any smoke at all?

When you say "all of a sudden a bang", do you literally mean it made a bang noise?

shaun100
30th June 2016, 07:48 AM
When trying to start the engine does the drive belt on the front of the engine rotate?

No mate......

shaun100
30th June 2016, 07:55 AM
Hi All, sorry for late reply. A bit pissed off and thinking what to do!!

When it happened it wasnt under a great deal of load, there was no explosion sound or anything (honestly cant remember the exact sounds it made) and the engine stopped, all dash lights came on and I rolled to side of the road, I got out pretty much straight away and didnt see any smoke etc,..

I did notice in the few hours prior to this happening that when driving there was more of a "rattle" sound to the engine..enough that I stopped to listen to it, but it only happened under load.

When I try to crank it now, its as if the starter is NOT engaging anything, and the front of the crank isnt spinning.

Research indicates possibly sheared flex plate bolts, as its an auto. Come to think of it, ever since I had the car if I drive with overdrive on, theres a fine vibration through the car when it gets into the upper gears, enough to piss me off so I permanently leave OD off, torque converter out of balance possibly??

At this stage, Im going to remove the starter on the weekend and look in the hole to see the situation of the flywheel.

I will then try to find somewhere I can take it, for further inspection / repair.

Anyone free this Saturday to do some fault finding in Perth :-)

Thanks for the responses so far....

shaun100
30th June 2016, 07:57 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of a stuffed flexplate.

It doesn't sound like grenade symptoms to me.

Me too apparently happens often......

Yendor
30th June 2016, 09:56 PM
Me too apparently happens often......

Hopefully this is your problem, as is will be the cheapest easy fix. As long as no damage was done to the crank.

4bye4
30th June 2016, 10:17 PM
Anyone free this Saturday to do some fault finding in Perth :-)
Where at mate. PM if you don't want to put up address. I have plenty on for Sat but might be able to come past during the day or on Sunday.
Tony

mudski
30th June 2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah good luck Shaun. Hopefully it is just the flex plate and nothing else...

shaun100
1st July 2016, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys.....

mudski
6th July 2016, 10:50 PM
any update?

shaun100
7th July 2016, 07:39 AM
Yep, flex plate. Need new torque converter and flex plate....Better than an engine I spose.