PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion on specific engine components - what to do?

Dave_
28th June 2016, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice regarding the corrosion on some parts in the engine bay.

Mainly seems to be affecting the intercooler bracket, 1 unidentified tube, a bunch of bolt heads, and one container or catch can, haven't figured out what that is yet.

The rest of the components are in good condition.

I'll have a talk with a mechanic next service - (still looking for a good Patrol mechanic around Kawana) - but I was hoping to get any opinions as to
a/ whether I need to worry in the short to medium term,
b/ whether it could be related to the dual batteries (my father suggested it could be due to insufficient earthing creating anodes?)
and c/ whether I can just hit it with rust converter, or if that's not suitable for zinc.

Thanks in advance

Winnie
28th June 2016, 03:39 PM
It is quite a lot isn't it.
The container you pictured is the power steering reservoir.

4bye4
28th June 2016, 03:45 PM
It almost looks like its been under water and lots replaced but a few old bit left, or bits of an old motor have been bolted on.

nissannewby
28th June 2016, 03:49 PM
Possibly had a battery explode sometime in its life. Looks acid related.

threedogs
28th June 2016, 04:24 PM
Possibly had a battery explode sometime in its life. Looks acid related.

X 2 thats a lot of corrosion, good call Matt,,, you would think if it was salt water you would have more.
Do you know history of Patrol,,,,,,The AuX battery gets very hot due to its proximity to the turbo.
Ive fitted a turbo beanie just for this purpose to keep under bonnet temps down.
Replace what you can is what Id be doing

Are you missing a bolt from the top of your alternator????
Maybe a trip to the wreckers might be the go for some of the brackets holding those relays

Dave_
28th June 2016, 04:51 PM
Thanks for comments so far guys. I don't really know much history, only owned vehicle 2 months.
Due to a combination of factors including time and geographic pressures and the fact the car has been shown a lot of love and money, I didn't pay it too much attention at sale time.
I might try to chase up with previous owner.

Currently working on a long list of minor fixes, upgrades, or personal requirement stuff!

4bye4
28th June 2016, 06:01 PM
Can't get my head around that some bits are very affected and bits next to them hardly at all. Water or battery acid doesn't make sense to me. Like the bracket near the I/C. all corroded and the aluminium on the I/C hardly touched. You would think if a battery had burst the I/C would have suffered much more than the bracket.

threedogs
28th June 2016, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=4bye4;684686]Can't get my head around that some bits are very affected and bits next to them hardly at all. Water or battery acid doesn't make sense to me. Like the bracket near the I/C. all corroded and the aluminium on the I/C hardly touched. You would think if a battery had burst the I/C would have suffered much more than the bracket.

the alloy looks to have oxidised looking at all the white power around it.
It may also wash off easier at a car wash IMO.
Maybe a battery did explode and fluid got in between the powder coating and the bracket.
Theywashed off the fluid asap, when he gets in contact with the previous owner it may
shed some more light on it,,,,lol

the evil twin
28th June 2016, 06:35 PM
Does it have the original engine in it?

The pics are almost as if the some of the gear was from two different vehicles

threedogs
28th June 2016, 07:11 PM
Does it have the original engine in it?

The pics are almost as if the some of the gear was from two different vehicles

Like in a zd30 replacement at some stage, be it a rattle gun special or just a 2nd hand unit

Dave_
29th June 2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys. I'm putting it in to my old mech in about 2 weeks - car came with muddies and it was too bumpy/loud for my daily drive, so I put a set of sunraysias and ATs on, and now got the dreaded 80kmh shake. 2 goes at balancing and they couldn't fix it. They picked up some hub play so I'm going to get that fixed first. I'll get his opinion about which if any bits need changing out.

The intercooler is an aftermarket welded one btw so that could explain why it's not corroded, but there's plenty of other bits that are still so random..