PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing 2009 Nissan Partol ST-L 3.0 Diesel

Beetle Rox
27th June 2016, 02:53 PM
Hi Guys, I'm am brand new to this forum and joined because I just purchased a 2009 Nissan Patrol ST-L with the 3.0L Diesel engine. It only has 55K on the clock and looks in good nick all around and that's why I decided to purchase it. It's being sold by a dealer who is offering 01 Year warranty and 01 Year comprehensive insurance.

I stumbled upon this group as I was doing research on the vehicle and read about the disasters of the earlier ZD30 engines. I am a little worried now and was wondering if there were a few kind souls in this thread who can advise me what exactly I am supposed to look out for and what needs to be done to ensure I enjoy trouble free patrolling. :)

4bye4
27th June 2016, 03:20 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum. A 2009 with a CRD engine and only55K, should not have any issues at all. The earlier Di (like mine) 3ltr diesels had some problems and there are methods to assist in increasing their longevity. I have seen some posts about problems with water leaks and a few other things on your motor, but they are not as common the early 3.ltr issues. If you have a warranty for 1 year you should be OK. Just keep it happy with servicing and use good quality fuels, filters etc. as this applies to all diesel motors. Dirt and water in the motor is a quick way to end a diesels life. Having said all that it is still a machine, and machines can sometimes defy all the rules.

Beetle Rox
27th June 2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks a lot for your response 4bye4. This is the 1st time of owning a CRD for me. My previous workhorse was a 1992 Nissan D21 Navara with the TD27 engine and boy was that a workhorse. it had a ton of miles on it and still did everything it was asked without giving up ever. Cheap oils and filters and the works... It was however religiously serviced every 5K.
Please advice what oil / filters are recommended for this and also what would the best service interval be? Thanks for all your help!!

4bye4
27th June 2016, 03:42 PM
Hi mate, I wont advise anything as I am not a dealer. I use genuine filters etc in all my vehicles and also Penrie oils and coolant etc. Just search this site for say "what oil" and you will get pleanty of threads with what others do. Penrit will be upthere with a couple of others. As long as it is a quality name brand it should be ok. If you want additional info on 3 ltr diesels, search "grenade " and you will get about 5 years worth of reading.
Cheers Tony

threedogs
27th June 2016, 04:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum , jump in and enjoy.
Drive it like you stole it and keep up the service intervals
These motors like to rev

Beetle Rox
27th June 2016, 05:12 PM
Hahahaha Awesome! That's exactly what I hope to do...
Would always appreciate some helpful tips and recommendations!!
Thanks guys!

threedogs
27th June 2016, 05:44 PM
First off I'd be checking the intercooler for signs of oil a sure sign its leaking.
and therefore not holding boost. A fully tigged change over IC would be the
way to go.
A Catch can is helpful as well ,If you plan on fitting a dawes /needle valve then
a set of gauges eg a boost and EGT gauge is a must, This way you can monitor whats going
on under the bonnet with every mod you do, Google Chaz Yellowfoot as well for extra info>>>

I take it you want to turn this Patrol into a great touring platform that
you can live out of for a few days up to a couple of weeks

Dhuck
27th June 2016, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Beetle Rox
28th June 2016, 08:05 PM
Hey mate, thanks a lot!!
That's quite an interesting arrangement you got there. Really clean and tidy.. I need to fix a EGT and Boost gauge too. I need some help with what the most appropriate gauges are and how best I can fit them. Do I need to start a new topic for that or am I able to get help from here?

the evil twin
28th June 2016, 08:33 PM
You have a CRD so all you need is a Scangauge and an EGT
Scangauge (or similar) will pay for itself in fuel savings alone
http://scangauge.com.au/

supadupaac
4th July 2016, 05:39 PM
had a mate with a 2012 90000km done the clutch. But dont worry about that LOL. Welcome.

Beetle Rox
11th July 2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks a lot dude. I need to find the best EGT and Boost gauge available in the market. I will check out the site and my friend Ebay! :)

mudski
12th July 2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks a lot dude. I need to find the best EGT and Boost gauge available in the market. I will check out the site and my friend Ebay! :)

Stick with the known branded gauges. Steer clear of the cheap units. Autron, now Redarc, Autometer, VDO and McNally are my pick of the bunch in gauges, there will be a few other brands no doubt that will be good. And a Scangauge is highly recommended for the electronic motors...

Welcome too...

Beetle Rox
12th July 2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks Mudski.... What do you think of Autotecnica and Saas... I came across them a lot in my initial search. Also what Scangauge do you guys recommend? and is it complicated to fix?

MudRunnerTD
12th July 2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks Mudski.... What do you think of Autotecnica and Saas... I came across them a lot in my initial search. Also what Scangauge do you guys recommend? and is it complicated to fix?

you came across them a lot because they are the bottom of the market. I would run VDO. I have VDO in the GQ and they are great. I run Autometer in the GUIV and had nothing but trouble with them. As stated though. Go the Scan Gauge for sure.

Beetle Rox
13th July 2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks a lot guys! You guys are awesome!

growler2058
20th July 2016, 06:16 PM
G'day welcome aboard mate. Full service history. Oil change every 5k essential in its early life

Clunk
9th August 2016, 09:53 PM
g'day mate and welcome aboard

Beetle Rox
24th January 2017, 12:12 AM
Thanks Guys!!!