PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Run Power Cable

JME_GU
25th June 2016, 04:38 PM
I'm installing a power panel in the rear left of my GU wagon, it's one of those panels that replaces the existing cover. I need to get power to the panel, I was planning on running the cable from my second battery under the car and back into the cargo area then up behind the panel. The problem is I can't find a way back into the body. Is there a good spot to run the power back in?

the evil twin
25th June 2016, 05:08 PM
IIRC when I did mine I came in thru one of the holes (there are 3 I think) under the placcy trim in the cargo rear door sill. Had power to the trailer socket already

Bigcol
25th June 2016, 05:37 PM
I fed the cable through the passenger foot well, and along the inside under the kick panels at the doors and then into the back, behind the side panel

much better inside I think

threedogs
25th June 2016, 06:56 PM
There are rubber bungs each side under the rear if you require
or like BigCol run it internally a snake will be required

If you run it along the chassis rail make sure you encase it in some black
plastic convoluted tubing and cable tie

Dannyboyz
26th June 2016, 08:30 AM
X3 for running it inside mate. I have just done the same thing and it was very easy. In through the passenger side of the firewall and along the top of the sill to the back. All the trims just pop on and off and the cable sits in the groove very neat. Then it is hidden and protected.

Cheers, Danny
.................................................. .............
1998 GU wagon - 2.8 out - mighty 4.2 in. Locked front and rear with 4.6 ratios. 4 inch heavy duty coils. Tough dog adjustable shocks. Too much to mention and hopefully more to come.

Hodge
26th June 2016, 08:46 AM
There is a rubber plug directly behind and under the headlights where I popped up my cable from after running it along the chassis.
I haven't got my car with me to take a photo.
It then plugs directly into this panel replacing the cover.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67844&stc=1

Hodge
26th June 2016, 08:49 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67845&stc=1

BigRAWesty
26th June 2016, 09:24 AM
Another vote for under kick pannels..
The gu's all just pull out..
It's so much easier working on these cars compared to the old gq..
Spend half a day undoing screws lol

clambeard
28th June 2016, 11:16 AM
+1 for inside the car, years ago i had a little bit of a "spark" when a half decent sized rock was thrown up and pinched the cable.
A lot of burned battery cable and one destroyed battery....

Cuppa
28th June 2016, 11:07 PM
+1 for inside the car, years ago i had a little bit of a "spark" when a half decent sized rock was thrown up and pinched the cable.
A lot of burned battery cable and one destroyed battery....

Whether you run the cable inside or out, make sure it has an appropriate sized fuse or contact breaker close to the battery so if the cable is ever damaged you ensure that you don’t have a burned out car.