PDA

View Full Version : Gu 6 dx oil filter element locator

muzzagod
22nd June 2016, 01:13 PM
Took my Patrol to a reputable Mechanic yesterday to do a 90k Service (I'm a 5k oil & filter change man). Up till yesterday, I have only been having 10k services by the people I bought it off (to keep warranty). Apparently there's a circular locator inside the oil filter canister which plugs up the end of the filter and also locates and spaces the filter into working position. Mechanic tells me it's missing and that with-out it the oil just passes straight past the filter and not through it. He also says you have to buy the whole alloy outer housing which includes this missing piece - they don't sell this missing piece separately. Is this the case and have other owners come across or know about this?

nissannewby
22nd June 2016, 01:18 PM
Have you got a pic?

mudski
22nd June 2016, 03:46 PM
Yeah that little plastic piece you are talking about only comes with the screw on housing. Dear as too. Best to go to the wreckers and get one. No doubt there will be a shipload of these floating around.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

the evil twin
22nd June 2016, 03:48 PM
edit - there ya go Mudski has the good gen while i was typing

I've never changed a CRD oil filter as mine was under lease and extended warranty.

There are oil filter setups for cartridge element types (as opposed to old school 'one piece external screw on') that do use filter backing plates to locate the filter in the housing etc.
Dunno if the CRD cartridge element is one of them tho.

If no-one has a definitive answer and you need to know ASAP, maybe ring Nissan Parts (or call in) and ask.

Given Mudski's answer I'd go back to the warranty service mob and tear 'em a new one... Morons

GeeYou8
23rd June 2016, 08:11 AM
I know that when my GU2 DI was getting a bit old that part sometimes stayed attached to the filter when you removed the filter, it probably got thrown away at one of the services. Maybe go back to the people that serviced it last with a report from your mechanic & get them to supply or pay for one?
Graham