PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack. Alloy or Steel?

10G
21st June 2016, 12:50 PM
I'm after a roof rack for the GU.

I like the idea of alloy as it is lighter, but I like the idea of steel as if it breaks, it can be fixed easily.

From what I know the GU can handle 100KGs on the roof. Steel racks seem to start at 50KGs so that leaves you only 50KGs to put in it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands, I'm open to suggestions and offers.

What have others done????

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 01:16 PM
If you can afford it, alloy..
Won't rust, is lighter.
You'd be very unlucky if it broke during normal use.. so I would stress about the repair issue..

Imo get a full mesh floor..
I had just bars and when collecting wood it did some damage to the old gq..

10G
21st June 2016, 03:08 PM
Yep, they're all good reasons. I really don't want to put much weight up there, just bulky stuff like swags and tents.

Thanks mate.

Rock Trol
21st June 2016, 04:50 PM
Rhino do a few different alloy rack options. I have the pioneer Platform (2128 x 1426 x 39 mm) and it weighs 32 kg.
It is low profile so I can still get into most under cover car parks.

macca
21st June 2016, 05:26 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hampton-east/other-automotive/aluminium-roof-basket/1114736974

Might have to cut and paste this. Moorabin is Melbourne?

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 05:48 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hampton-east/other-automotive/aluminium-roof-basket/1114736974

Might have to cut and paste this. Moorabin is Melbourne?
Sounds a bit sus......

10G
22nd June 2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the link macca, I couldn't see a picture, but Moorabin is a little too far, me being way down in south west Vic.

I like the idea of a platform rack, but I'm going to have an awning, so I think I need a rack with sides ..... or can awnings be attached, some way, to platform racks??????

Winnie
22nd June 2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the link macca, I couldn't see a picture, but Moorabin is a little too far, me being way down in south west Vic.

I like the idea of a platform rack, but I'm going to have an awning, so I think I need a rack with sides ..... or can awnings be attached, some way, to platform racks??????

The awnings usually come with L shaped brackets so they can be fitted to a platform rack, or a rhino bar or similar.

threedogs
22nd June 2016, 11:22 AM
I have a chinese copy roof rack that I modified, rear roller ,,flag bracket and shovel holder,
as well as light bar mounting brackets
Dont forget you are limited to 100kg up top and that includes the rack so the lighter the better
Personally Id like 4 x Rhino aero bars with an alloy platform, You dont really need sides all around imo
Easy enough to make awning brackets to suit most racks