PDA

View Full Version : New range of BF Goodrich tyres

Winnie
21st June 2016, 08:19 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/06/243.jpg

The KM3 mud terrain is third from the left. Would have to be bloody awesome to be an improvement on the KM2

jay see
21st June 2016, 08:38 AM
So does that mean that there will be a stock clearance on the km2.
I got them (km2)priced at 350 each fitted & balanced at a tyre place where I was filling up.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Winnie
21st June 2016, 09:00 AM
I doubt it, if there is it would be dealer specific I reckon.

jay see
21st June 2016, 09:14 AM
Huntsman can do them at 1750 in a 305/70/16 on their branded rims for a set of 4.
Any one know w much about the rims that they use??

Cuppa
21st June 2016, 09:55 AM
May or may not reflect on the quality of stuff they sell generally, but the set of chromed wheel nuts I bought from Huntsman didn't take long to turn rusty.

Touses
21st June 2016, 11:26 AM
See in the piccie above the good old all terrain ta is still available. Value for money there.

Winnie
21st June 2016, 11:39 AM
See in the piccie above the good old all terrain ta is still available. Value for money there.

Look harder, it is a new design too. The main tread is very very similar but the sidewall is redesigned.

Touses
21st June 2016, 12:29 PM
Look harder, it is a new design too. The main tread is very very similar but the sidewall is redesigned.

Yeah see it now side biters are different. A little more aggressive?

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 01:19 PM
They look good..
Hopefully as good if not better than than the km2..

nissannewby
21st June 2016, 01:28 PM
That pic has been floating around for about 12 months now. Will take forever I huess before they are available here.

Touses
21st June 2016, 01:37 PM
They look good..
Hopefully as good if not better than than the km2..

Don't know anything of the km2. It's a muddie yes? The all terrain strikes me as it claims to be
Fair on road, good in mud, loves the gravel and wears like a whores money maker. One bitch with 'em, too aggressive in sand.
Even with low pressure they won't "ride" over it. Great other than that. Last set for The Pig were 275 each balanced/fitted.
Done almost 40k on them and better than fair wear from them. Seem to resist major cuts and abrasion really well.

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 02:04 PM
Don't know anything of the km2. It's a muddie yes? The all terrain strikes me as it claims to be
Fair on road, good in mud, loves the gravel and wears like a whores money maker. One bitch with 'em, too aggressive in sand.
Even with low pressure they won't "ride" over it. Great other than that. Last set for The Pig were 275 each balanced/fitted.
Done almost 40k on them and better than fair wear from them. Seem to resist major cuts and abrasion really well.
Yea the km2 is their mild muddie. The Baja is there muddie / comp tyre..

04OFF
21st June 2016, 02:16 PM
One bitch with 'em, too aggressive in sand.
Even with low pressure they won't "ride" over it.

I think if you talk to people that own aggressive mud tyres and drive sand, you will find that's a bit of an "old wives tale" :smiley_thumbs_up:

Ive driven heaps on sand (see my pics thread) on my GU ive had very smooth Federal road tyres, BFG All Terrains, and now i run BFG KM2 Mud Tyres, the KM2s are simply just awesome on sand in every situation, ive never had top drop them below 18psi and never been stuck, they cruise over everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Blxt87-7X0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5xsYTcoH0

Touses
21st June 2016, 02:37 PM
.. 04OFF I'm quoting here from my experience with this vehicle on these tyres.
Others with other vehicles will have had different results.
The Cooper AT's i had on prior were great on the sand and absolute rubbish in nearly every other situation. All over the tar like a mad womans bowel movement,
not a patch on the BFG's anywhere BUT the sand.
The aggression I refer to re the BFG's relates directly to them pulling sideways in soft /loose sand.
I have never had to have the vehicle recovered from the sand but the tyres are much happier in other elements.
Again, my personal experience with them on this vehicle! The patrol is a heavier rig and will undoubtedly present different handling characteristics with this tyre.
I get to try them out in just a few short months! Loooking forward to it.:smile:

mudnut
21st June 2016, 02:50 PM
These are the Rugged Terrains I bought for the Otway trip with guys a couple of years ago.

They have done 15,000 ks and I regularly swap out the spare with one every 5000 or so ks.

They perform perfectly on sand and are quiet on the road. They are a bit slippery for steep mud, but are good enough for what I get up to.

Pros: Quiet, sturdily built but comfortable to drive on. Cons: Need a tad more grip and side biters need to be more aggressive. They gather lots of small stones.

04OFF
21st June 2016, 03:14 PM
Yeh i can understand Touses, i have heard many people say bad things about aggressive muds on sand, when i was looking at buying some KM2s, i was concerned about the fact that i do heaps of sand driving , so i had always favoured less aggressive tyres because of this.

I started to study tyre impressions in the sand, and also watch how cars with muds behave in the real soft stuff, in general, it was obvious mud tyres worked just as well as any other tyre on sand when the pressure is adjusted correctly.

My rig weighs in just shy of 3T, i normally run 20psi for sand and go everywhere, ive only dropped to 18psi as a precaution when everyone was getting stuck in the powdery section of the Bribie Island Inland track.

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 03:27 PM
I think the big thing is "aggressive tread"..
The km2 imo is not aggressive..
The Claw, or slimex.. there aggressive..
Imo yes, aggressive mud tyres are poor in sand comparing to an AT..
But usually those aggressive tyres are much bigger, thus provides a bigger foot print and sorta equals it all out..

04OFF
21st June 2016, 03:43 PM
I think the big thing is "aggressive tread"..
The km2 imo is not aggressive..
The Claw, or slimex.. there aggressive..
Imo yes, aggressive mud tyres are poor in sand comparing to an AT..
But usually those aggressive tyres are much bigger, thus provides a bigger foot print and sorta equals it all out..

Watching how good a set of claws perform on a GU patrol in sand was the deal sealer for me :)

IMO, If your not spinning wheels, the tread design is not that important on sand.

I think you have a point about the bigger foot print, look at tractor tyres and sand paddles etc, very aggressive, but large footprint.

mudski
21st June 2016, 03:48 PM
Huntsman can do them at 1750 in a 305/70/16 on their branded rims for a set of 4.
Any one know w much about the rims that they use??

For rims John id only use a known branded rim. ROH for steelies for sure. I dont know much about branded alloys though but id dare say the same rule of thumb applies.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

mudnut
21st June 2016, 03:52 PM
For rims John id only use a known branded rim. ROH for steelies for sure. I dont know much about branded alloys though but id dare say the same rule of thumb applies.

Second that. The elcheapo rim the stealers put on my Patrol as a spare, only lasted 1000ks before holes started elongating. And I drove a couple of ks and re-tightened the nuts when I fitted it.

I now have an ROH as a spare, but it isn't made in Aus.

jay see
21st June 2016, 04:39 PM

Here is the link to the rims that they offer
http://www.huntsmanproducts.com.au/steel-wheels/16inch-steel-wheels/boat-trailer-wheels-13x5-5-ht-5-stud-trailer-part-2.html
They are steel powercoated. Not going the alloy.

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 05:53 PM
http://www.huntsmanproducts.com.au/steel-wheels/16inch-steel-wheels/boat-trailer-wheels-13x5-5-ht-5-stud-trailer-part-2.html
That's a good load rating per rim..
Was looking at my mates last night and it's only 1150kg..

Winnie
21st June 2016, 06:36 PM
These are the Rugged Terrains I bought for the Otway trip with guys a couple of years ago.

They have done 15,000 ks and I regularly swap out the spare with one every 5000 or so ks.

They perform perfectly on sand and are quiet on the road. They are a bit slippery for steep mud, but are good enough for what I get up to.

Pros: Quiet, sturdily built but comfortable to drive on. Cons: Need a tad more grip and side biters need to be more aggressive. They gather lots of small stones.
You can't really say that the tyre needs to be more aggressive, you chose their least aggressive tyre.
They also make the standard all terrain tyre which is more aggressive than this one, and the mud tyre KM2 as well.

mudnut
21st June 2016, 07:24 PM
You can't really say that the tyre needs to be more aggressive, you chose their least aggressive tyre.
They also make the standard all terrain tyre which is more aggressive than this one, and the mud tyre KM2 as well.

I thought they would perform a bit better in the mud as they looked like they would. So my opinion is valid. If I had the option, I would go for the next step towards mud terrain. I know next time.

MB
21st June 2016, 08:41 PM
A little bit out of date, but bring back the KM1's please BFG :-) These buggers have honestly done 100,000kms+ and are still inflated sitting under the old dare I say 'cruiser' (paddock bomb) to this day! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/06/246.jpg Rossco, you got similar miles too in same country in our heyday ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay see
22nd June 2016, 10:31 AM
Just had a interesting conversion with a guy from Lindsays Tyres and he has bagged the crap out of the KM2s.
You wouldn't get anymore than 50,000 ks out of them, they're got thin sidewalls, are crap in the mud and there's not support here in Aus that's why they are cheaper, but if that's what you really want I can get them for you. So my question was "well you obviously don't like them, so what would you recommend?"
Mickey Thompson MTZ difference over a set of 4 $70......

Winnie
22nd June 2016, 10:49 AM
Hahaha... he obviously makes more money on the Mickey's and doesn't get a very good deal on the BFs.
Go the BFs mate you will not regret it. I haven't done a lot of kms on mine, but a mate of mine has them on his work Hilux which is very heavy and he tows a lot, he gets about 80,000kms from a set. I'll show you how good they are in the mud if you want.

I'm not saying that the Mickeys are a bad tyre, I just know the BFs very well and there has to be a reason they are the most popular mud tyre.

jay see
22nd June 2016, 11:29 AM
I'm going to get the huntsman package, was just checking some other places for price and something a bit closer.

mudski
22nd June 2016, 03:52 PM
Decent ROH rims in the sunraysia style should be around $110 per wheel. Id be checking what brand they are before you buy. For the extra $80 or so i would be looking for ROH. If they aren't...

jay see
22nd June 2016, 05:56 PM
Decent ROH rims in the sunraysia style should be around $110 per wheel. Id be checking what brand they are before you buy. For the extra $80 or so i would be looking for ROH. If they aren't...

I know, when I brought this I said to myself that I wasn't going to go the cheapest option first. That's why I haven't done that much. It works at about 120 more. Not heaps I know, but then there's wheel alignment that I want to get done at the place that you mentioned, just to be sure that everything is right. That could be more dollars.

mudski
22nd June 2016, 07:14 PM
Do it once and do it right John.

jay see
22nd June 2016, 07:53 PM
Do it once and do it right John.

That's what I'm trying to do....

jay see
26th June 2016, 05:44 PM
115 a rim roh trak 2 . Is that about right, cheap or too much?

sooty_10
26th June 2016, 05:55 PM
Be about right mate.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

jay see
26th June 2016, 06:30 PM
Thats what it works out from a seller from Brisbae, if thats the going price might as well get them locally.

the evil twin
26th June 2016, 06:50 PM
ROH or Dynamic for rims...
Each as good as the other IMHO and about the same retail price.
Very similar styles so whichever you get the best price on at the time I reckon.
The last set I got were Dynamics delivered to WA out of a Brissy mob
Still got them with a set of 285/75R16 on 'em and still look good

MB
26th June 2016, 07:17 PM
I can too personally vouch for Dynamic's rims Jaysee. Had several sets from Lilydale and second last set withstood a commodore 'P' trying to go under last GU beast. 60km+60km ripped my leafies off their mounts and I reckon if the old girl wasn't "WRoff" I truly could have lightly sledgeed em back usable !!

Hodge
26th June 2016, 07:34 PM
All 3 of my 4x4s so far wore Dynamic black steelies with D shaped holes. Never failed me once .

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

nissannewby
26th June 2016, 08:04 PM
Just had a interesting conversion with a guy from Lindsays Tyres and he has bagged the crap out of the KM2s.
You wouldn't get anymore than 50,000 ks out of them, they're got thin sidewalls, are crap in the mud and there's not support here in Aus that's why they are cheaper, but if that's what you really want I can get them for you. So my question was "well you obviously don't like them, so what would you recommend?"
Mickey Thompson MTZ difference over a set of 4 $70......

Interesting comment. My experience has been the exact oposite. Lucky to get 60k out a set of Mickey's. The last set of KM2's netted me in the 100k area and were still above the indicators.

MB
26th June 2016, 08:47 PM
Yea the km2 is their mild muddie. The Baja is there muddie / comp tyre..
Hey Westy, somewhat true, IMO the KM1&2 are a more agressive lug than Baja. Quite a soft compound is the Baja too as you've mentioned for 'race' comps. A mate of mine in Darwin used to 'carton' up a comp friend after each race and they'd last him stuff all in the real world. Have personally run KM1's many times to over 100,000kms and now forced onto KM2's. IMO the KM2's new pattern does sh#t all over the KM1's for bush performance yet IMO their compound has softened to achieve this also. I'm still hoping/on track for 70,000kms + in a now 3.0T +beast on severe hilly/winding highways!

jay see
26th June 2016, 10:06 PM
Cheers for the replies guys
I'm dictated by my finances. I reckon I can get dynamics for under 100 bucks each. MB if your looking at 70k+ I should be looking at 100 with the type of driving I do.

MB
27th June 2016, 06:14 PM
Hey Jaysee, yep, I always get my Dynamics & BFG's from Performance Tyre & Auto Lilydale for $100 per steely these days. Here's my photo testament below on how tough they are as a combo !

MB
24th July 2016, 12:17 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/07/15.png
BFG's, all the blokes seem to choose em ;-)
Crossing the old Jardine, maybe not :-) !
Sweet truck all the same, beast :-) !!!

MB
29th July 2019, 07:59 PM
Bit too early to tell properly but the first somewhat cruzy weekend (B1-B2 / Mt Margaret) out on the brand new KM3 wagon muddies certainly has impressed so far. Still running the KM2 bigger versions on the ute but dare I say for an unlocked stock family truckster they didn’t seem to skip a slippery at short times beat [emoji106][emoji106]

Rossco
29th July 2019, 10:28 PM
Yeah same here, so far been very impressed with the KM3's smooth as on the road and seen to perform very well in ther gravel and slop. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Plasnart
29th July 2019, 11:45 PM
Keen to hear feedback about wet bitumen grip of these. Have stuck (excuse the pun) with MT's muddies for their overall great bog and wet tarmac grip vs BFG AT's of old which I found too hard for wet roads, letting go and all.

MB
30th July 2019, 10:50 PM
Far from a tyre expert me Plassy mate but these new muddies like Rossco do seem to also early days handle our gumtree oiled highway corners slowly quite well. As mentioned way too early to tell in the 3.0T wagon but do know the old school BFG A/T’s on our little Navara were always sketchy at best although in fairness have lost count of now big km’s hard rubber great value had[emoji106]

Plasnart
30th July 2019, 11:23 PM
Far from a tyre expert me Plassy mate but these new muddies like Rossco do seem to also early days handle our gumtree oiled highway corners slowly quite well. As mentioned way too early to tell in the 3.0T wagon but do know the old school BFG A/T’s on our little Navara were always sketchy at best although in fairness have lost count of now big km’s hard rubber great value had[emoji106]

Cheers Marko. Hard rubber scares me from old days of BFG AT's and wet roundabouts, that's why I looked elsewhere. Don't really care too much about hard rubber giving great straight line life. I want them to grip and I'm a conservative driver. Happy to hear of BFG improvements nowadays though if that's the case. I'm going back only 10 years with my opinion.

EDIT: And I'm referring to BFG AT's I originally had on the GU not muddies. My MT Baha MTZ's have never let go and maybe BFG MT's are similarly softer compound?

Cuppa
31st July 2019, 11:28 AM
Just a 2 cents worth comment.

Having now been in the Kimberley for 11 months I've had the chance to check out which tyres are most popular among folk who live up here, particularly those who like to use their vehicles off road, bearing in mind that a lot of the country up here is pretty rocky & even when it's not it is still often burnt. Rocks & burnt trackside bushes represent a staking threat to sidewalls & conserquently the most poipular tyres seem to be those with the best sidewall protection. Most popular are BFG's & second are Toyos.. AT's are what get used, MT's are pretty much only seen on tourist cars & draw asmirk from the locals who know that the larger gaps between the tread blocks make them more vulnerable to punctures.

The tyres I have Bridgestone D697's are seen, but less so on the cars of folk who like to get away from the tourist routes, primarily (as I have discovered) because their sidewalls bulge more than other brands making them more vulnerable to sidewall damage unless higher pressures are used, which really is not desirable. Even on the horrible corrugations of the Gibb River Road itself I ran 39psi cold/44 or 45 hot in my rear tyres & that is a compromise just to try lift the sidewalls up out of harms way, & that is one of the less rocky tourist routes - would far rather drop the pressure lower, but it's too risky - one rock can ruin your day!

BFG's & Toyos have more rubber sidewall protection & importantly bulge less allowing lower pressures to be used. To be fair the Bridgies have proven themselves to have great puncture resistance in the tread area.

Some tyre reviews refer to sidewall protection (extra rubber), but I am yet to read an informed comparo which includes the comparison between sidewall bulge at various pressures (& vehicle weights). If you know of one I'd be interested in a link if you can.

MB
31st July 2019, 07:00 PM
Must also positively say for our old BFG AT’s too Cuppa mate that our somewhat paddock bom-Navara’s set albeit horrible hard on the highway have certainly endured hidden rusty star picket posts and last century barbed wire wraps[emoji106][emoji106]

threedogs
31st July 2019, 08:26 PM
Cuppa what youre after is a very good mud pattern in a Light truck construction
Next time you buy tyres grab one from the rack and press down on it . that will
give you an idea what you should be putting on your ute if you cant press it down
the tougher the construction of the tyre, BFG have tri guard I think, any mud tyre
would suit your needs better

Cuppa
1st August 2019, 10:47 AM
Cuppa what youre after is a very good mud pattern in a Light truck construction

I think most Kimberley offroaders would disagree with you on that TD. Mud patterns are good for wet muddy slippery conditions, but even then using them on outback dirt roads during the Wet season would be highly frowned upon & could well attract big fines! I'd guess that on all the local 4wd's I've seen up here the number fitted with MT's would probably number less than 2%, & those ones would predominantly be for use just in a specific area (eg around a specific mine site perhaps, or on some of the 'community bombs' used only to access local fishing spots), certainly not for general touring/camping etc.

Up here in the harsh dry rocky country the larger gaps between tread blocks on mud tyres increase vulnerability to 'through tread' punctures from sharp rocks & those gaps between are likely to increase in size with use as tread blocks are torn out. Even my new AT's have had a tread block torn out here & there on the Munja Track. I could easily envisage a set of new MT's being destroyed just in the 500km return drive to Walcott inlet & doubt that their pattern would offer any advantage in the process.

LT construction without doubt, but AT's ...... with strong & well protected sidewalls!

MB
7th August 2019, 03:11 PM
I’m assuming these new purpose needed Silverstone’s we scored for cost price wouldn’t last too long in the Kimberly :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/36.jpg

PeeBee
7th August 2019, 03:28 PM
Are these for the L/C ute catchment work? What size Mark?

MB
7th August 2019, 04:16 PM
Yeah mate AB’s oldy, 33x10.5 ++lugs [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/38.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/39.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/40.jpg

Winnie
7th August 2019, 06:23 PM
Yeah mate AB’s oldy, 33x10.5 ++lugs [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/38.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/39.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHaha that is grouse MB! I used to run a set of those tyres. Absolutely crazy traction offroad but truly terrifying on the road.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MB
7th August 2019, 06:30 PM
Can only imagine the combined horrors mate :-)! The whole kit and kaboodle is on target for Acco floating next week we hope [emoji106][emoji106]

Rossco
7th August 2019, 07:23 PM
Awesome Markie, love your work looks like a beast. .

MB
7th August 2019, 07:39 PM
Good news too Rossco mate!
Fast Freddie - Healesville (free advert here in thanks [emoji106] ) is quizzing his BFG rep why us Australians can’t get ‘Krawlers’ yet [emoji106][emoji106]

threedogs
12th August 2019, 04:17 PM
I like to start most trips with new tyres.
most times with BFG a/ts, the Birdsville trip
was going great till we hit the Dig Tree Rd just after the grader.
Once back on the black top couldnt figure out wtfwas wrong,
same old same old chipped lugs. GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rusty_nail
12th August 2019, 08:15 PM
I have some more pics of the beast to add...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/64.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/65.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/66.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/67.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/68.jpg

MB
20th August 2019, 07:27 PM
Starting to visually appreciate more & more the R&D that appears to have been injected into these new little KM3’s on our family wagon.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/121.jpg

Tis somewhat like playing a memory game trying to figure out I guess every sixths lug slight performance leading edge difference :-)

In theory only and compared to a Nitto M/T picture (probably will last 20k longer?) their ridge line design would appear archaic in throwing off dense clay?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/122.jpg

MB
20th August 2019, 08:29 PM
Crikey, now I’m confused as always, does appear the old utes KM2 bigger buggers are a guesstimated 9th row circumference ever so slightly change of attack angle.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/08/123.jpg
KM1’s of old we have scored 100K+ under old school (2.5T max) landcrabs but admittedly were prone to holding crud out bush with much thinner spacings between each little hard lug :-)

MB
22nd September 2019, 06:57 PM
Tractor is temporarily out of action, so too the fully locked KM2 ute. As a backup the old family faithful now little KM3’s doing their job!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/09/125.jpg
Pictures never really show gradients and slick but 2.0T of water + trailer does try to pull a vehicle sideways down grassy hills to no avail thanks to Nissan’s bog stock rear LSD & mini low impact KM3’s :-)