PDA

View Full Version : New Newbee

snicko
16th April 2011, 10:43 PM
Hi I have just joined.
We have a 2006 3L Patrol which we bought from new and I still cant believe it ours. I just love my Patrol. It has the usual gear Bull bar, snorkle, winch, lockers, 2x radios, wheel carrier, roof rack, batteries and lots more.

The last thing that went on was a Tiapan 3" exhaust with steinbauer chip. (Boost guage and Pyrometer guage fitted as well.)
Has any one else fitted this config ? We live in regional SA and our mechanic is good but I want to know if a dawes valve needs to be fitted as well. The boost guage is very talkative.

Thanks

YNOT
16th April 2011, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Snicko.

How high is the turbo boosting?

Tony

AB
16th April 2011, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the forum Snicko!

snicko
16th April 2011, 11:00 PM
The first time my mechanic set things up it hardly moved at all. The second time it spiked at 26. The next time in 20s, the last time the same

YNOT
16th April 2011, 11:16 PM
It might be worth fitting a dawes/needle valve set up to control the boost better and eliminate those spikes. The dawes/needle valve set up gives full manual boost control, a dawes valve on its own can be used to leave the computer in control but eliminate spikes.

Tony

snicko
16th April 2011, 11:21 PM
How dangerous are the spikes?

YNOT
16th April 2011, 11:33 PM
Not particularly damaging to the engine but not good for the intercooler, can loosen the end tanks or blow hoses off.

Tony

snicko
16th April 2011, 11:42 PM
If this happens does it show up on the guage or something worse happen?

DX grunt
16th April 2011, 11:46 PM
G'day Snicko

Welcome to the forum.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

YNOT
16th April 2011, 11:46 PM
If a hose blows off you loose a lot of power and blow black smoke. May show on the boost gauge depending on which hose and where the boost gauge is plumbed in.
The intercooler will be more subtle and over time show as an oil leak on the intercooler core.

Tony

fordfalcon04
16th April 2011, 11:50 PM
sounds like a very good machine.I recently bought a 2001 3.0l turbo and like it.

nowoolies
16th April 2011, 11:53 PM
g`day snicko
welcome on board mate
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info enjoy
nowoolies
Paul

snicko
16th April 2011, 11:54 PM
As intercoolers are known to leak would it be a good idea to put a bigger one on before there is a problem as I have the exhaust and chip fitted?

YNOT
17th April 2011, 12:06 AM
Take care of the boost spikes first then fit a bigger intercooler when it's convenient.

Tony

fordfalcon04
17th April 2011, 12:08 AM
thanks for information will keep it in mind

snicko
17th April 2011, 12:12 AM
OK on the intercooler.
Back to the boost problem so can the Dawes valve be fitted by a normal mechanic or does it have to be fitted by an expert? and should I get it dyna tuned?

YNOT
17th April 2011, 12:16 AM
Dawes can be done DIY if you have basic mechanical knowledge. You would need to phone around to find a mechanic to do it for you, most will never have heard of a Dawes valve.
I set up my own dawes valve just by road testing and stopping to adjust it until I got it right.

Tony

fordfalcon04
17th April 2011, 12:20 AM
are there any problems with the intercooler

timbar
17th April 2011, 12:22 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

snicko
17th April 2011, 12:26 AM
I like the "just got it right" part can you buy it ?

Thanks for your help. nice to talk to someone who knows stuff. Im sure I will need your advise again.

Snicko

YNOT
17th April 2011, 12:29 AM

The shrouds on 3l Patrol intercoolers can rub through the cores and boost spikes as mentioned above can loosen the end tanks. On mine I put washers under the shroud at the mounting bolts to raise the shroud off the core.
A leak will show as an oil leak on the I/C.

Tony

snicko
17th April 2011, 12:30 AM

No not yet. The 4be has only done 50,000km and as they are known to leak I dont know if its better to before or after a leak to upgrade. Maybe this could be a new thread
Snicko

fordfalcon04
17th April 2011, 01:10 AM
hi i just joined i had read some threads on here about troubles with fith gear failing on early model gu patrols i have purchased 2001 3.0l turbo patrol gu 11 is this model included in the fith gear problem.i am going on fishing trip with the boat in three weeks. The patrol has 160000 kms on it.

katwoman
17th April 2011, 01:34 AM
hi i just joined i had read some threads on here about troubles with fith gear failing on early model gu patrols i have purchased 2001 3.0l turbo patrol gu 11 is this model included in the fith gear problem.i am going on fishing trip with the boat in three weeks. The patrol has 160000 kms on it.

Hi, if you'd like to start your own intro, other people may see it more, and be able to help you.
They are a great bunch, if they dont know it, its not worth knowing.

rfrom7inoz
17th April 2011, 03:00 AM
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy!

growler2058
17th April 2011, 07:13 AM
Gday snicko theyre a good friendly mob here full of useful info and advice welcome aboard

Bob
17th April 2011, 08:57 AM
Welcome mate Enjoy your new Ride and join in the conversations

Dhuck
17th April 2011, 10:05 AM
Welcome to the forum Snicko

Bigrig
17th April 2011, 10:07 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

Maxhead
17th April 2011, 10:19 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum Snicko

Dark 1
17th April 2011, 10:23 PM
Welcome mate, have a poke around & join in when your ready.

Finly Owner
17th April 2011, 10:48 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Snicko

Tim

wildgu6
17th April 2011, 11:13 PM
SA Great to have you on board buddy, Nice part of the world you live in.
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.
Dont forget to vote which state you live in poll, found in general disc' section.

Hope you have a great 2011.
stay safe & Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Pete

Clunk
17th April 2011, 11:33 PM
g'day Snicko welcome aboard mate

snicko
18th April 2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys this is a excellent forum. spent all day just looking at threads and found the jokes!!! I am half way through reading them and havent laughed so much in a long time.

Clunk
18th April 2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys this is a excellent forum. spent all day just looking at threads and found the jokes!!! I am half way through reading them and havent laughed so much in a long time.

hahahaha yeah it takes a bloomin long time to try and get to everything on here, I usually just end up talking BS all night so have even more to try and get through the next day................

mrcrazydude
20th April 2011, 08:33 PM
welcome to the forum mate, did you end up putting on the needle and dawes valve?

snicko
21st April 2011, 07:18 PM
welcome to the forum mate, did you end up putting on the needle and dawes valve?

I have done lots of research and today given to my mechanic some info that Chaz helped me with so I will catch up with him after we come back from WA.

If he's not sure about doing it then there might be a road trip to VIC as in my research I talked to a diesel place over there. (Any excuse to hook up the camper!)

patch697
3rd May 2011, 06:47 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul