PDA

View Full Version : Locking Hubs

michaelgreeny
18th June 2016, 10:08 AM
Good morning everyone!

Sorry if this question is in the wrong section, couldn't find a better one.
The front hubs ('09 GU 3.0L) can be changed from auto to lock. Which I assume means you can either change it from 4wd from inside the cab using the gear stick, or they are constantly in 4wd?
My question is why would you lock them? what does locking them do that putting it into 4wd in the cab doesn't?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers.

Hodge
18th June 2016, 10:17 AM
I will quote evil twin. Best and simplest description.

In a nutshell manually swinging the hubs to "Lock" means it's a true lock. And won't disengage like it does sometimes when reversing etc...

They have two settings "Auto" and "Lock"

If you are going out into gnarly/muddy terrain for a wheel you should use a wrench and "lock" the hubs. "Auto" is essentially only for a 1 off spur of the moment use when you don't want to leave the comfort of the cabin unlike GQ's where people want every excuse to get out.

michaelgreeny
18th June 2016, 10:24 AM
Cheers Hodge. That makes sense.

strider
10th August 2016, 02:43 PM
Also the auto hubs have a habit of locking on there own when you don't want them to and a myriad of other issues of them failing. Swapping them out for the manual ones is a popular and recommended modification. Sadly it does mean getting out to lock them but it only takes a few moments.

mudski
10th August 2016, 03:04 PM
Also the auto hubs have a habit of locking on there own when you don't want them to and a myriad of other issues of them failing. Swapping them out for the manual ones is a popular and recommended modification. Sadly it does mean getting out to lock them but it only takes a few moments.

Or convert the auto hubs to full manual..... Its free and takes around ten minutes to do both sides.

CptClinac
15th October 2016, 06:10 AM
Hi,
I'm also having 'issues' with my hubs. Mine are autos and the symptoms are... Driving along (sealed road 2WD) then we get a buzzing sound (quite loud) we slow down, the buzzing drops in pitch. We slow right down and something happens in the front. It feels like we run into a kangaroo (not a common occurrence in NZ). Then all is quiet and smooth again. I suspect the drive is borderline connecting when it shouldn't. But surely this shouldn't matter when in 2WD.

Hope I'm not distracting from the original thread question.

Thanks
Dave

bazzaboy
15th October 2016, 08:33 AM
Auto hubs can make all sorts off bad noises when they play up. Sometimes mine would make grinding or squealing noises or sometimes a very load BANG. Spending 20 minutes converting them to manual was the best thing I could have done for them. No issues now.

mudnut
15th October 2016, 09:01 AM
Check the grease in the locking mechanism. If there is too much it may cause it to play up.