PDA

View Full Version : 2012 long range sub tank best option

rusty00
17th June 2016, 07:32 PM
Want to replace the sub tank with a long range /larger tank, what is the best one to get and how much do they hold.
Is it best to replace rear or sub tank and for what reasons is one better than the other.
I only need an extra 30 to 40lt for what I do and can carry a Jerry or 2 if needed for remote trips like the simo.

the evil twin
17th June 2016, 07:40 PM
Not a biggee but IMHO the main is easier than the sub.
No extra fuel to transfer or cannot use if you can't
No issues with suspension arm clearance

Bigcol
18th June 2016, 12:51 PM
depends on if your towing or not I think

if you dont tow a van or camper - replace the main as ET said - easier to do
if you are towing all the time - I suggest the sub - as it is in the middle of the car balanced weight- not adding so much weight to the rear where you have a Van attached

BigRAWesty
18th June 2016, 05:45 PM
Imo much of a muchness..
The sub takes you from 30L up to 75L (usable fuel)
The rear main goes from 90 up to 140 (from memory).
Both or over $1000.
The rear is slightly easier to install but adds more weight behind the axle..

Imo I've done my main tank breather mod. So I have about 115L usable fuel there..
Once I fit my 75L Lra sub I'll have 190L of usable fuel..

threedogs
18th June 2016, 08:11 PM
I have a Brown Davis 75 ltr Aux tank and it cost me $750 new and fitted
Gives me about 175 litres or a good 1200 range, taking it easy lol

rusty00
19th June 2016, 12:41 PM
Lra look the goods, have asked them for a quote.
I like the fact that they sit a bit higher than the Brown Davis units.
Only want the sub replaced to gain an extra 40 odd litres.

Imo much of a muchness..
The sub takes you from 30L up to 75L (usable fuel)
The rear main goes from 90 up to 140 (from memory).
Both or over $1000.
The rear is slightly easier to install but adds more weight behind the axle..

Imo I've done my main tank breather mod. So I have about 115L usable fuel there..
Once I fit my 75L Lra sub I'll have 190L of usable fuel..

abw
19th June 2016, 01:27 PM
I read somewhere some having problems with the LRA tank and the tailshaft hitting on full flex. Though this may only be a problem on higher lifts. I had a Brown Davis fitted. It's 75L. I'd have to say it's a tight squeeze..they use every square centimeter of space! It doesn't hang down any further than the muffler and the steel side step brackets.

BigRAWesty
19th June 2016, 02:22 PM
I read somewhere some having problems with the LRA tank and the tailshaft hitting on full flex. Though this may only be a problem on higher lifts. I had a Brown Davis fitted. It's 75L. I'd have to say it's a tight squeeze..they use every square centimeter of space! It doesn't hang down any further than the muffler and the steel side step brackets.
Yea I have heard the same but yea on lift around the 4".

Boinzo
20th June 2016, 11:57 AM
I have a Brown Davis - recently fitted by TJM. Works great - holds 76L. Just happily took me over the Simmo.

rusty00
21st June 2016, 07:28 PM
How many km did you do to fule usage.

I have a Brown Davis - recently fitted by TJM. Works great - holds 76L. Just happily took me over the Simmo.

Winnie
21st June 2016, 07:35 PM

It does sit close to the tail shaft. Mine was rubbing on my last trip because my fuel tank copped a hit and it bent out a bit.

rusty00
21st June 2016, 08:04 PM
Do you reuse the pump from the Nissan tank on the LRA or is an external pump used.
Looks like the brown David tank used the original Nissan pump setup.

What height lift do you have have and are you happy with the setup.

It does sit close to the tail shaft. Mine was rubbing on my last trip because my fuel tank copped a hit and it bent out a bit.

Winnie
21st June 2016, 08:07 PM
Mine is on a GQ so it did not have a tank their from the factory.
I have a 2" lift and adding this fuel tank is one of the best mods I have done to the car.

Boinzo
22nd June 2016, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm pretty heavily loaded so economy is terrible. Lots on the roof too. Getting about 16l/100 and around 19 in the desert. So about 1000km if I behave..
Used 134l to go Birdsville to Mt Dare. 690km.

How many km did you do to fule usage.

threedogs
22nd June 2016, 01:15 PM
When ever the time comes to do the big lap, then I'll be fitting a 150 ltr Brown Davis number.
but very happy with my range ATM, Brown Davis used the OE sender from the old OE sub tank.