PDA

View Full Version : 2013 GU ZD30 Carbon around turbo intake hose

Club 4x4
17th June 2016, 03:07 PM
G'day all,

Did a bit of a search but cant find a thread specific to the issue we're having with our 2013 ZD30 GU.

A couple of months ago we had to replace a faulty alternator and in the process noticed it was covered in carbon soot. The diagnosis at the time was that the intake hose into the turbo was loose. We tightened down the clamp and it helped somewhat but we seem to still have soot buildup.

Engine is stock other than a Steinbauer and has very low mileage.

Has anyone come across this before?

Cheers

Kal

mudski
17th June 2016, 03:29 PM
Soot build up on the alternator still? If so. Sure the alternator hasn't done a bearing or burnt the brushes?
Edit : I just re read it. You have replaced the alternator. Check the intake hose over the alternator for any splits. Where was the carbon build up? On top, behind, under the alternator? Leaking exhaust manifold, gasket or turbo mounting gasket?

Club 4x4
17th June 2016, 04:21 PM
Hey Mark,

Yep the alternator got replaced. In the below photo you'll see the soot is at the top back of the alternator - so it would seem it is coming from where the rubber hose connects to the turbo housing.

Cant see any splits but i didn't actually take it off, i just took the end off from the housing for a quick and dirty (literally) inspection of the end. The hose itself and everyone surround that region is covered in soot too so i would think that's what it is.

I haven't check the remaining gaskets you mentioned.

nissannewby
17th June 2016, 04:29 PM
Is it soot? As in dry powdery carbon. Or is it oily grime?

Club 4x4
17th June 2016, 04:41 PM
predominantly soot - but as you could expect there us a bit of grime....

mudski
17th June 2016, 04:46 PM
Have you got a catch can installed? Doesn't look to be going by the pic. The inlet of the turbo is covered too.
Maybe remove the entire intake pipe from the air cleaner to the turbo, clean it up, inspect for any damage. And have a peek inside the turbo inlet, get your fingers onto the turbo impellor and see if it spins nice and theres no play in the shaft. If the inlet is full of oil, if may mean a few things, if no catch can is installed, the oil could be from this, the motor breathing heavy, or it could be the turbo on its way out? Not really sure. While the inlet is off grab a bright light and look for any black deposits around the exhaust manifold to head and turbo mounting gasket. Even the turbo oil feed too.
I do remember my ZD30 used to get pretty oily around the base of the intake hose to the turbo prior to the catch can.
Not sure if the front timing case seal could get all this dirty, but worth a look too.

Edit : my slow typing....
If its soot not an oily sludge type it could be an exhaust leak. But to me you would hear this when the motor is under load.

Club 4x4
17th June 2016, 04:48 PM
Mark, no catch can installed mate.

There was a far bit of oil at the base of the hose and on the housing.

First step this weekend is to disassemble the intake pipe and inspect for cracks or damage as the clamp is quite tight. A leak of some description is really the only explanation.

MyGU8
17th June 2016, 05:13 PM
There cannot be any soot coming from turbo intake, as you would expect turbo intake is filtered air and oil vapour.

Is the alternator the only place you have the soot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyGU8
17th June 2016, 05:15 PM
If the soot IS from turbo then MAY be there is a leak in turbo from exhaust to intake side.

MyGU8
17th June 2016, 05:18 PM
Can you check the air filter inside too pls.

MyGU8
17th June 2016, 05:32 PM
Mark, no catch can installed mate.

There was a far bit of oil at the base of the hose and on the housing.

First step this weekend is to disassemble the intake pipe and inspect for cracks or damage as the clamp is quite tight. A leak of some description is really the only explanation.

Sorry for the multiple replies mate, if it is inlet side of the turbo, remember it is under suction rather than pressure, so no soot can actually be thrown out, but if it is on the outlet side of the turbo then I am guessing a exhaust leak but looking at the photo I can't see any soot on the turbo itself so doubting exhaust leak. Long shot... How is the best tensioner?

threedogs
17th June 2016, 06:03 PM
what condition is the belt in ???

Club 4x4
17th June 2016, 06:26 PM
Sorry for the multiple replies mate, if it is inlet side of the turbo, remember it is under suction rather than pressure, so no soot can actually be thrown out, but if it is on the outlet side of the turbo then I am guessing a exhaust leak but looking at the photo I can't see any soot on the turbo itself so doubting exhaust leak. Long shot... How is the best tensioner?

No no all good mate. It didn't make sense to me either given its on the ongoing side but at a quick glance this arvo I couldn't see evidence of it coming from anywhere else.

It's been to the mechanics and they've diagnosed the same thing which perplexes me even more. I might need to do a tear down over the weekend but I don't like my chances given the weather forecast!

Club 4x4
17th June 2016, 06:26 PM
what condition is the belt in ???

If you mean drive belt mate then all good

MyGU8
17th June 2016, 06:53 PM
It would be easier to check the air filter. If the soot is coming from intake side of turbo under pressure the inside of air filter would be full of soot.

Club 4x4
17th June 2016, 07:38 PM
It would be easier to check the air filter. If the soot is coming from intake side of turbo under pressure the inside of air filter would be full of soot.

Yep ok. The filter was replaced two weeks ago so it's not going to be a hard diagnosis.

rusty00
17th June 2016, 10:34 PM
My inlet pipe top of turbo was leaking and did a similar thing but nowhere that bad.
Degreased tightened and it happened again.
Took to Nissan under warranty they say is just a thing they do.
They removed cleaned again and replaced the hose clamp.
Problem solved, 15000 later still no soot.

Club 4x4
18th June 2016, 05:33 AM
My inlet pipe top of turbo was leaking and did a similar thing but nowhere that bad.
Degreased tightened and it happened again.
Took to Nissan under warranty they say is just a thing they do.
They removed cleaned again and replaced the hose clamp.
Problem solved, 15000 later still no soot.

What I noticed as I tightened the clamp down was that it wasn't as rigid where it comes together. It still doesn't make sense that you get soot from there though

rusty00
18th June 2016, 09:49 AM
Since fitting the catch can this also could be why it's stopped happening.
The rocker cover engine oil fumes go via the turbo, this is where the soot oily crap comes from.
They do this to help with emissions ect.
Catch can will also help to protect your oxygen mass sensor, but not convinced the way it's plumbed up.

If I'm incorrect someone let me know.

What I noticed as I tightened the clamp down was that it wasn't as rigid where it comes together. It still doesn't make sense that you get soot from there though

Club 4x4
20th June 2016, 03:06 PM
Since fitting the catch can this also could be why it's stopped happening.
The rocker cover engine oil fumes go via the turbo, this is where the soot oily crap comes from.
They do this to help with emissions ect.
Catch can will also help to protect your oxygen mass sensor, but not convinced the way it's plumbed up.

If I'm incorrect someone let me know.

Hey mate,

We haven't plumbing in a catch can - it's all OEM. But yes the catch can will divert a lot of the oil vapour and residue floating around the engine courtesy of the EGR system so we may look at that later on.

Unfortunately the Sydney weather didn't permit work on the truck over the weekend, and its sitting at a sparky at the moment getting final electrics bolted up so maybe something for a little later in the week.

Club 4x4
19th September 2016, 09:34 AM
so an update.

Long story, but our truck developed an issue on the way back from the bash. It started on the leg from Windorah to Bourke it felt like i was towing a van, was having to push the truck along as it felt restricted and we had thick plumes of unburnt fuel out the back. A quick roadside check to ensure there were no leaks from the intake site - none to be found. I had cleaned out the air filter before we left Birdsville. Thinking i may have had a poor batch of fuel we put in some fuel conditioned and she was fine up until we got to Lithgow where it got worse than the prior stint.

Long story short guys, upon pull down we found a hairline crack in the turbo housing, a bent oil return line, a filthy MAF sensor and the dreaded manifold leak from cylinder one.

So - we've replaced the turbo, replaced the oil return line, blocked down the manifold and replaced all the studs and replaced the MAF sensor. At the same time we thought we'd do some mods for longevity and more power - so we've popped on a Cross Country intercooler and catch can, a 3 inch redback exhaust, plumbed up the pyrometer and upped the Steinbauer a little bit. What an amazing difference, no more soot or lag!

Looking forward to getting it dyno tuned soon and documenting it in video and article form.

I have to say, one of those roadside stops had me looking up threads right here on this awesome forum! what a great resource everyone here is :-)

threedogs
19th September 2016, 09:51 AM
what level is your engine oil,from what Ive heard
they dont like being over filed, a little under is fine. lol

Club 4x4
19th September 2016, 09:59 AM
what level is your engine oil,from what Ive heard
they dont like being over filed, a little under is fine. lol

shes bang on at the moment and purring like a kitten

Sir Roofy
19th September 2016, 10:21 AM
so an update.

Long story, but our truck developed an issue on the way back from the bash. It started on the leg from Windorah to Bourke it felt like i was towing a van, was having to push the truck along as it felt restricted and we had thick plumes of unburnt fuel out the back. A quick roadside check to ensure there were no leaks from the intake site - none to be found. I had cleaned out the air filter before we left Birdsville. Thinking i may have had a poor batch of fuel we put in some fuel conditioned and she was fine up until we got to Lithgow where it got worse than the prior stint.

Long story short guys, upon pull down we found a hairline crack in the turbo housing, a bent oil return line, a filthy MAF sensor and the dreaded manifold leak from cylinder one.

So - we've replaced the turbo, replaced the oil return line, blocked down the manifold and replaced all the studs and replaced the MAF sensor. At the same time we thought we'd do some mods for longevity and more power - so we've popped on a Cross Country intercooler and catch can, a 3 inch redback exhaust, plumbed up the pyrometer and upped the Steinbauer a little bit. What an amazing difference, no more soot or lag!

Looking forward to getting it dyno tuned soon and documenting it in video and article form.

I have to say, one of those roadside stops had me looking up threads right here on this awesome forum! what a great resource everyone here is :-)
Lady luck must have been on your side that much heat
and dirty M.A.F MUST have been close to blowing

Club 4x4
19th September 2016, 10:23 AM
Lady luck must have been on your side that much heat
and dirty M.A.F MUST have been close to blowing

mechanical sympathy was the key!

Sir Roofy
19th September 2016, 03:55 PM
mechanical sympathy was the key!

don't think so id check numbers 3 /4 injectors for damage or heat stress
if the M.A.F was that bad you where well and truly over fuelling
believe me mate detination happens even when you think everything
is running normal it happened to me

Club 4x4
19th September 2016, 03:59 PM
don't think so id check numbers 3 /4 injectors for damage or heat stress
if the M.A.F was that bad you where well and truly over fuelling
believe me mate detination happens even when you think everything
is running normal it happened to me

A good tip. We actually pulled the injectors and checked them out, flow benched an ultrasonic cleaned them [emoji1360]