PDA

View Full Version : Which patrol to buy

Mozzy
16th June 2016, 03:44 PM
Hello mozzy here.keen to buy patrol but unsure which one. Like manual, turbo diesel but nothing to high tech. Currently own a 60 series cruiser .not happy with it but like the simplicity of the vehicle not much goes wrong but if it does I can work on it. Are the 3 ltr turbo diesels around 1999 ok.

BigRAWesty
16th June 2016, 03:56 PM
Welcome mate..
In short no 3 ltr is simple..
The DI is sorta simple, direct injection etc but still is very ecu reliant. And the crd is more advanced again..
If you want a simple mechanical engine look at the 2.8 or 4.2.
these guys are all mechanical..

Mozzy
17th June 2016, 06:18 AM
Thanks Kallen
Excellent info

Dan02
18th June 2016, 05:00 PM
Hello Mozzy
I looked for months, bit fussy, procrastinating etc, looked at both 2.8 and 4.2 but ended up with the 4.2 - I recon there both great

drz400y
1st July 2016, 06:23 PM
Can't really go too far wrong with a 2.8 or 4.2. All little knowledge of their weaknesses goes a long way to making them ultra reliable. The 3.0, no idea where to start on their weaknesses, too many to make it a solid engine. Sorry if that upsets a few but I've done major repairs on too many to be a fan.

Bigcol
2nd July 2016, 12:23 PM
considering the amount of 3.0L on the roads V's how many have gone bang

I think the D4D3.0L of the toyotas is a far worse motor - injectors, oil cooler, turbo, weak heads - the list is endless with them

there are some Di that are bad, but not enough to say a specific year or model is crap

I think a lot has to do with how they were looked after brand new - luck of the draw so to speak

I've got some mates with large Kms on their Di's with out a problem from new

if you are going to be doing a lot of towing, then a TD42 is worth the money
if your going to be using it as a daily driver, then the RD28 is ok, but not a rocket ship off the line
if you want an all rounder (good fuel, quick enough, tows small trailer) then the ZD30 is a good pick
even the later CRD's are a good all rounder

my advice - think about what you want to do with it first - then look at what suits your lifestyle

General
4th July 2016, 10:45 AM
As long as you anti grenade them mate they can be good.