PDA

View Full Version : 270 degree awnings?

10G
15th June 2016, 08:58 AM
I don't know if this should be posted here, still finding my way around.

Just wondering if anyone here has a 270 degree awning?

I'm thinking of getting one, but something is holding me back.

If you have one, would you buy it again? Is it too much trouble? Is it more than you need etc etc.

Thanks.

Hodge
15th June 2016, 09:34 AM
Are you talking about the batwing awnings ? I like the concept of it. Like you I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

10G
15th June 2016, 10:04 AM
Yep like them. There's a whole range of them out there, they're a bit pricey, but I think they're a good idea.

Personally I prefer the SupaPeg/SupaRV one as it is one of the only ones I've seen that include a complete awning over the side of the vehicle, the others all chop off the outside front corner.

MudRunnerTD
15th June 2016, 10:47 AM
I considered them before I bought my awnings. 2 mates had 2 different setups on a big trip. A foxwing versus a 2.5m side awning and a1.2m rear awning.

With the fox wing you can't really set up half of it. All or nothing.

You really should use the poles which are not built in and must be carried on the roof rack in a separate bag.

The side awnings and rear awning can be set up independently. They have the poles built in. Take less than 1 minute to set up or pack up.

2 separate awnings got my money and I have never regretted it. I don't use the rear a lot but I have rolled it out at camp to keep the sun off the fridge. I have used it at lunch time in the snow to make lunch.

I think the 2 units gives me great flexibility and options.

My 2cents.

10G
15th June 2016, 10:55 AM
I think the 2 units gives me great flexibility and options.

My 2cents.

I'm starting to think that way. Also in the past with my previous vehicle, when I sleep under the awning I like to drop the end of it in case any rain happens etc. That would be a hassle with a 270 degree unit.

Throbbinhood
15th June 2016, 11:09 AM
Can always have two mounted, and just a standalone awning/shelter. Butt them up against each other and you'll have a nice bit of space, with the flexibility to leave your kitchen stuff setup under the separate one while you go for a drive.

Winnie
15th June 2016, 11:20 AM
I prefer the idea of two awnings. Swag under one and kitchen under the other.
I will be buying a rear awning at some stage. When I set my swag under the side awning I have no space for cooking under shelter.

threedogs
15th June 2016, 12:08 PM
I would think the two seperate awnings would be a better set up,
if need be you could get a piece made to fill the gap,,,set them up
for run off in case of rain. winner winner chicken dinner lol

Remember its a lot of extra weight up high as well so take that
into account when driving.

4bye4
15th June 2016, 12:12 PM
I have heard a few comments about the 270 deg awnings having problems being almost impossible to put up or take down in the wind. Only heard stories though, maybe someone who has one could comment .

BSRT.Beast
15th June 2016, 08:24 PM
I've been seriously considering an awning from this company .... no poles light weight looks the goods anyway

http://bundutec.com.au/awnings/

MudRunnerTD
15th June 2016, 09:04 PM
I've been seriously considering an awning from this company .... no poles light weight looks the goods anyway

Hmmmmm. I clicked on the link with an open mind but with a fair bit of skepticism. Physics is the foundation of logic. Their claim of "poleless" is a massive claim to make!!

Their pics on the phone are a little vague but I persisted until I got a good look.

So here is the fine print.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/06/197.jpg

Now it would seem this awning is based on the Fox Awning which I understand is the original 270 awning. If you find the Foxwing site they will also claim that it can be used Poleless, the Foxwing is about the same price which I think is excessive against a 2 awning setup.

The normal side awning can be setup without ropes on the poles....... I leave the ropes permanently connected and peg the awning for anything longer than a quick meal break.

The Poleless logic they offer with the fine print means your Poles are carried in a separate bag on the roof rack ( these need to be accessible when touring and you need to pack your roof load around your poles) you also need yo carry your poles on a day trip just in case.

I think this is a real short coming.

Clunk
15th June 2016, 09:56 PM
I too have two awnings, one for a small tent and swag to go under, the other for kitchen and sitting under.

If I had the cash I would have liked and Ostrich Wing, another self supporter has in built poles if wind picks up too much, a mob over here used to sell them but not sure if they do any more. You can see images here http://4x4channel.tv/the-ostrich-wing-3-awning-now-better-than-ever/

Don't know where your looking MR but see no mention of the Foxwing being self supporting

MudRunnerTD
15th June 2016, 10:31 PM
I too have two awnings, one for a small tent and swag to go under, the other for kitchen and sitting under.

If I had the cash I would have liked and Ostrich Wing, another self supporter has in built poles if wind picks up too much, a mob over here used to sell them but not sure if they do any more. You can see images here http://4x4channel.tv/the-ostrich-wing-3-awning-now-better-than-ever/

Don't know where your looking MR but see no mention of the Foxwing being self supporting

Cheers mate, I didn't look at the Foxwing site but expected a similar claim. They certainly suggested that when it first hit the market but I know at least 3 people that have had a Foxwing flip over their car.

On the Oztent site they are very vague about the use of poles. They note the poles are conveniently stored in their own bag and stop short of suggesting they are optional. Cheeky buggers.

threedogs
16th June 2016, 05:34 PM
So does this mean with a 270 degree fitted all thats stopping it from flipping your 4x4
is some parachute cord and a flimsy peg,,,,,,,not ideal if you ask me ,,especially if
it flips out in the Simmo.......lol

threedogs
16th June 2016, 05:36 PM

Going by the Logo Id say its a South African product originally??

10G
16th June 2016, 09:01 PM
Yep the Bundutec is a South African thing. Alu Cab also make a 270 degree awning, another South African company.