PDA

View Full Version : 1992 GQTi replacement stereo issue with factory amp

Frannyanny
14th June 2016, 08:41 AM
Hi all,

I've had to replace my 1992 double head unit factory stereo with a new pioneer head unit. I've bought 2 harnesses to covert the old connections to new ones and these plug into the pioneer fine and it powers up. However there is no sound.
Would I have a factory amp in my car and is this why there's no sound?
I noticed when I added in the wiring harness that there were 3 existing plugs of wires but only 2 slots in the harness.
Any ideas how I'd fix this?

Many thanks

Yendor
14th June 2016, 09:43 AM
If your vehicle is a TI it will more then likely have at least one amp mounted under one of the front seats.

I'm assuming the new head unit lights up when turned on.

The output of your new head unit will be higher then the output of the amp/s.

The easiest/cheapest way to get it working is to run new speaker wire from your head unit to the speakers.

You could replace the amp if you like but I think that would be a waste without replacing the speakers as well.

NissanGQ4.2
14th June 2016, 09:47 PM
x2 on What Rodney ( Yendor ) said,

Can't remember if its driver or passenger side but the factory amp will be under one of the front seats.

When I installed a new head unit in my 1992 GQ Ti I just by passed the amp and ran new wires from the head unit 2 the speakers

Frannyanny
14th June 2016, 09:51 PM
Many thanks. Yes the head unit powers up but no sound. I've used a harness to connect the wires in the dashboard to my new head unit. When you say you passed the amp to the speakers, are you essentially saying that you could skip the wires from the head unit to the amp and join them to the wires from amp to speak - bypassing the amp?

Thanks

Yendor
15th June 2016, 08:21 AM
I'm not really sure what you are asking….. You just wanted to remove the amp and joins the wires together at the amp. The amp is under the seat so you will still need the wires from the head unit to the amp. Yes you could, you would just need to locate and identify all 16 wires and join the correct ones together.

Much easier and better electrically to run new speaker wire from the head unit directly to each speaker.

Frannyanny
15th June 2016, 10:20 PM
Ah I see - many thanks

Frannyanny
16th June 2016, 01:34 PM
Ive seen a previous post (below) suggesting that I need to take a a free wire from the Pioneer loom and link it into an existing wire and that should fix it.
Does that sound right? Its not really specific which wires to link:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?25953-gq-ti-1992-tb42e-radio-wiring-colors&p=473033