PDA

View Full Version : Conversion tb45e to td42

jgoose
13th June 2016, 04:37 PM
Hi all ive just finished my conversion from a TB45e to a TD42 t. Now i havnt done the turbo yet but have been driving my gu around for about 5k with not a problem i started by purchading a td42 about 12 mths ago & have been slowly converting it with the alt on the right side etc but fue to fighting cancer its been a slow slog untill the tb45e died so in went the td42 & i also used the old tb45e TPS instead of fitting the ZD30 pedal if anyone is interested i can post some pics i have done all of this conversion by myself as im a plant mechanic & make any brackets that are required so if anyone wants to know anything drop me a line

Touses
13th June 2016, 04:43 PM
Heya bloke, if you got piccies that would be tops. Hope you're kickin that cancers arse!

jff45
13th June 2016, 05:29 PM
I'm sure a TB45E to TD42 conversion will interest lots of people especially if you've done things a little different to others.
The mention of TPS suggests you also used the auto trans. I couldn't find a practical way to reuse the TB45 TPS so I used the ZD30 unit.
I had belt vibration issues with the alternator on the right side so I mounted a tensioner pulley.

It would be good to see pics of what you've done.

Bigcol
13th June 2016, 07:57 PM
welcome mate, sounds like you have been fairly busy, what with kicking the Big C, and this project

I my self dont need it, but, hey, I would LOVE to see the piccies of what you did, and how you did it, sounds great

jgoose
14th June 2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the words of encuragment re the BIG C hopefully its all done & dusted now both cancers were found by accident while chasing problems from a work place accident but onward upward
I have posted pucs etc before when i did my rear wheel bearings i cant remember how i did it so i will work it out & put up everything that i have its all fairly basic i did find jff45's pist helpfull & we have pretty much done the same thing so i won't bore everyone im surprised about the vibration john ive had no probs yet but have only done approx 5000k so i guess time will tell i did talk to you about the flexplate spacers which i found a set in

jgoose
14th June 2016, 12:57 PM

Hopefully the pics work ill chase up more off my pc as for yhe alt conversion its just about the same deal as already listed as for my A C the GQ A/C braket was modded to suit the GU A/C pump ive fitted a td42 dash cluster & with the glow plugs ive purchased a 10sec max adjustable timer that can be used as a N O or N C timer
Everything else just bolted up i removed the tank fuel pump & extended the pick up & refitted the strainer & fitted a small electric pump (3-4 psi)& filter where the original fuel filter was mounted on the tray underneath
If anyone has questions ill do my best to answer them
Cheers bruce

jff45
15th June 2016, 11:13 AM
So you've basically retained the TB45E intake including throttle body. I see you still also have the MAF in place as well.
Does that mean you have double return springs for the accelerator? the springs on the TB and on the IP as well? Does that make for a stiffer accelerator pedal?
Personally, I think it will probably limit your options if you decide to add a turbo.

I'm still keeping my eye out for a TPS for the IP so it can go back to original but I've found them too pricy.

jff45
15th June 2016, 11:15 AM
I meant to ask, did you do your own bellhousing mod?

jgoose
16th June 2016, 05:47 AM
Its the td42 intake i made a 90 with a mounting plate to suit yhe intake & the TPS & bolted it straight up i did have my hi mount fitted but due to my health just ran out of time & paitence to finish it off so ive just thrown in my out tb45 air filter the maf is only there due to me just using the old A F
I removed one spring from the tb45 TPS & its perfect ive driven non stop 4 1/2 hrs to my property with no aching ankles/ feet. I have the drain fitted into the sump for the turbo ive just capped it off & have all the fittings to mount it but due to it being hi mount i need to make anothe dump pipe to suit the rest of the after market exhaust so i figured id just run it non turbo until ive made the dump pipe
Yes i modded the bell housing my self its easy & cheaper than buy parts from certain transmission Co
I went to the wreckers & just stripped a throttle assy & cable off an hyundi & weldec the cable mount onto the tb45 throttle assy & ran the cable down to the I P the hyundi cable is a short cruise control cable that has a steel shroud on the end i was able to notch it & it slipped straight into the existing I P braket piece of cake it looks like its meant for it once i had it all working i went back to the wreckers & grabbed 4 more cables as spares

jgoose
16th June 2016, 05:58 AM
Ive been doing mods on cars since i was a teen ive put 351's into celica's & gotten them rego'd etc so i dont mind making brakets as i go its helping keep my mind off things
Since ive had it back on the road all ive done to it is service's i didnt even need to adjust the T P S it changes exactly the same as b4 ive disconnected the auto's resistor thats on the firewall years ago so it changes gear quick & sharp which ive found is gr8 when towing
My intentions are to kit the auto & that should be all i need to do once the turbo is mounted
I dont usually buy motors from wreckers but this time i hit the jack pot i stripped it down to inspect it & found it had been rebuilt the liners were brand new still with fresh cross hatch
It runs like a dream & i prefer driving it to my 08 statesman

jgoose
16th June 2016, 09:12 AM
John
Ive had your comment going over in my mind im starting to think i might of missed something or havnt planned my mod out right
How do you think that ive limited my options for when i mount the turbo?
I have a GT3582 water cooled complete with all hardware im just short the exhaust system @ dump pipe as the dump pipe is not an off the shelf option ill be making one to suit i have the intercooler already mounted behind the bullbar with 4 thermo fans ( the TB45 was being turbo'd) & i found a bolt on surface temp switch at jaycar that switches them on & i have a led in the cab so i know when all thermos are operating. The water cooling is set up so it will thermo syphon when the motor shuts down
Its always better to have another set of eyes go over the project so i can fix what ive missed67579

jgoose
16th June 2016, 10:21 AM

Heres a close up of the linksge ive welded onto the original tb45e linkage in reverse so the cable (hyundi cruise control cable) opens the I P when the accelerator peddle is pressed so ive used the original throttle cables including the cruise control cable & the original T P S that is already matched to the auto trans

jff45
16th June 2016, 04:38 PM
Yes, I understood from your first pics how it worked.
If you're happy with how it works for you then please disregard my comments.

However, I think you should do some research on the suitability of a GT3582 for a TD42. They work well for a TB45 petrol.

Touses
17th June 2016, 07:10 AM
Yes, I understood from your first pics how it worked.
If you're happy with how it works for you then please disregard my comments.

However, I think you should do some research on the suitability of a GT3582 for a TD42. They work well for a TB45 petrol.

Agree completely, in the research I have done the 3582 is far too big for this application.

jgoose
19th June 2016, 08:56 AM
Ok fair enough i did look into it a bit & going by what ive used in the past on other diesels etc thought it would be suitable the motor thats in the car at the moment is only a test mule i have another that im rebuilding which will have the bigger modified pump & injectors that have multi holed nozzles that i use to run on a detroit testbed while working at DETCO some years ago
Maybe i have missed some thing but i do intend to go over the specs of the new motor when finished & match a turbo with it
Thanks for your input its always good to have ideas thrown around

Makka
19th June 2016, 02:18 PM
G'day good to see another coasty out there

jgoose
26th June 2016, 09:00 PM
G'day good to see another coasty out there

G'day MAKKA
glad to meet you im at canton beach

Makka
26th June 2016, 09:08 PM
G'day MAKKA