PDA

View Full Version : Makka's engine build

Makka
13th June 2016, 01:28 AM
Ok so we all know my motor has issues so i decieded that i will pull it out and rebuild my thoughts and ideas for it are the following
15 to 20 psi boost
top mount intercooler

this is as far as i have got now i dont have alot of cash to spend so this will have to be done watching every single cent i have into it ....

it is a black top td42 93 build as far as i know. and as i think i understand it the blacktop had the 30mm little ends or wrist pins

ok my questions are do i need to go for turbo conrods or will the standard ones be ok for what im running

should i get the ports opened up a bit or just smooth them out

do i go for bigger valves or are the standard size ok , should i get a certain type of valve to put up with the extra heat of the turbo..... heavier valve springs i will be useing

cam ????????

will i need to boost the pump up to 12mm spec or 11mm spec or will the 10mm run this

the block crank rods will be sent of for machining and cleaning the head also

thanks guys dont ask what turbo im running because i wont know till the motor is back together and i have the cash for that

Ben-e-boy
13th June 2016, 10:01 AM
Personally, if I were to do it again........I am doing it AGAIN..... I would just buy an import td and remove the 24 volt gear, use the old 12v stuff and throw that in.

Makka
13th June 2016, 11:36 AM
Personally, if I were to do it again........I am doing it AGAIN..... I would just buy an import td and remove the 24 volt gear, use the old 12v stuff and throw that in.

why not rebuild ???????

Ben-e-boy
13th June 2016, 11:41 AM
why not rebuild ???????

Because you cant trust some people to put it together/machine/supply decent parts and I have a 1600km old $12.5k long motor pile of scrap on a pallet.

Makka
13th June 2016, 12:00 PM
wow ....... im thinking lewis engine parts for the bits have been recommended a guy up at Wyong for machining.

Makka
13th June 2016, 01:23 PM
well just had a quick look at importers motors are between 6g and 10g depending on the importer

Rossco
13th June 2016, 03:36 PM
Are these motors brand new crate jobbies or second hand, just out of interest?

Makka
13th June 2016, 04:11 PM
second hand out of japan ....... not sure on a crate motor cost ........ anyone ?

Makka
13th June 2016, 04:29 PM
Are these motors brand new crate jobbies or second hand, just out of interest?

Hey Rossco just had a quick look and could not see anything it did bring up a post from here saying that after 10 years they would not be doing anymore crate motors so we could be out of luck

jff45
13th June 2016, 04:33 PM
I paid $6800 for my TD42T imported engine. Low mileage, factory turbo, it's been faultless since I did the conversion.

There have been a lot of stories of issues with rebuilt TD42s..

Makka
14th June 2016, 04:36 PM
I paid $6800 for my TD42T imported engine. Low mileage, factory turbo, it's been faultless since I did the conversion.

There have been a lot of stories of issues with rebuilt TD42s..
where did you get yours from jff45 ??????? company and contact would be great please

jff45
14th June 2016, 05:29 PM
Asia imports in Brisbane has 5 x TD42T engines according to a friend who just bought one. 4 were auto so have the flex plate. Asking price is $6900 I'm told.

Makka
15th June 2016, 12:32 AM
Ok kool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jff45
20th June 2016, 06:40 PM
This is one of the engines Asia Imports had for sale for $6900. 99 GU TD42T with auto flexplate.
Friend in Melbourne just bought this one to replace his TB45E.

threedogs
20th June 2016, 07:31 PM
Hows the performance with these 4.2s and an auto
still waiting on my lotto win lol

jff45
20th June 2016, 07:39 PM
Hows the performance with these 4.2s and an auto
still waiting on my lotto win lol

Since I fitted a Mamba 16G/6cm I can honestly say my TD42T auto is easily more powerful than my TB45E was.
It pulls really hard and holds boost well between shifts. A real pleasure to drive now.

drz400y
1st July 2016, 06:50 PM
Why so many issues after rebuild? Is it a parts quality problem or labour quality Problem?

Bigcol
2nd July 2016, 11:38 AM
parts quality is a big one - new sleeves that are not round, inconsistent material thickness of sides, not put into block correctly

crank balancing shops not doing correctly

head machining shops not doing the job correctly

the list is endless, except, when a petrol car engine has a problem with shoddy workmanship, its not as expensive as when your building a TD42

some of the above are from "reputable" workshops

Makka
3rd July 2016, 05:14 PM
well have been in deep discussion with the minister for war and finance i think i might have got clearance for a 7G out lay .......

just bought her a new white thing that she puts cloths in to make em wet