PDA

View Full Version : Dun tank gauge not working

jay see
5th June 2016, 03:48 PM
After I removed my sub tank and then refitted it mu gauge doesn't work, stuck on empty.

I've put up to 20L of fuel in and it hasn't moved at all. The only thing is that the plug did take a dip in with the fuel, would that be the problem or the sender. I was cautious not to bend it.

Just had a thought while writing this, there is a fuse for this isn't there? Should probably check that first.

Sent from my XT1033

the evil twin
5th June 2016, 09:15 PM
Yep, check the fuses...
then...
Is the "sub tank" warning light illuminated?
Does the transfer light illuminate in the Sub tank switch?
Is there fuel flow from Sub to Main (look in the main tank filler neck)?

Yendor
5th June 2016, 09:57 PM
Possible float arm has fallen of fuel sender. Remove the fuel sender unit and inspect the float. Try moving the float arm up and down while watching the gauge.

jay see
5th June 2016, 11:47 PM
Cheers guys.

Should have mentioned that the sub is the only petrol tank, as I'm duel fuel. So the sub tank light is always on.

Fuses first, then float arm if needed.

Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1033

jay see
12th June 2016, 03:45 PM
OK have found a bit of time to get back to this.

Fuses are good, is it only the ones under the dash??

Have had a look at the float and it's still intact everything else seems to be in order.

The float system is electronically controlled correct, I see a wire running up to one of the plugs, the other plug is to the pump.

What am I missing here.....

Sent from my XT1033

Yendor
12th June 2016, 04:37 PM
If your other gauges still work it won't be a fuse problem.

Did you try moving the float arm up and down while watching the gauge with the ignition on?

What gauge does the sub tank show via now? It it still the original sub tank gauge or has it been moved to the main fuel gauge?

jay see
12th June 2016, 05:07 PM
If your other gauges still work it won't be a fuse problem.

Did you try moving the float arm up and down while watching the gauge with the ignition on?

What gauge does the sub tank show via now? It it still the original sub tank gauge or has it been moved to the main fuel gauge?

While the sender was out I was holding it up in the full position and the original sub tank gauge was showing full.

I've put it all back together and it still shows empty. The next time I need to get petrol I'll fill it up and see where the gauge goes to, might just be out a bit.

When I do get the new long range sub tank do I need a new sender or does the original one work.

Sent from my XT1033

Yendor
12th June 2016, 05:26 PM
With long range tanks you still use the original fuel pickup and fuel sender unit.

The fuel gauge is not accurate normally for the first half of the tank, but you only really need to know when the tank is empty anyway.

BigRAWesty
12th June 2016, 05:31 PM
While the sender was out I was holding it up in the full position and the original sub tank gauge was showing full.

I've put it all back together and it still shows empty. The next time I need to get petrol I'll fill it up and see where the gauge goes to, might just be out a bit.

When I do get the new long range sub tank do I need a new sender or does the original one work.

Sent from my XT1033
Pretty sure they use original mate.
But you may need you modify it to suit a shorter stroke.
My gq Lra tanks has a shortened arm due to reduced travel..

threedogs
12th June 2016, 07:40 PM
When I had my Brown Davis 75ltr Aux fitted ,Kevin was telling me that
the gauge is a guide only and not a true reading of what fuel is available.

jay see
30th June 2016, 08:20 PM
This is starting to piss me off a little.

Filled it up today 37 litres, it was pretty empty. Gauge didn't move still on empty.

The last time I had the sender out I was holding it up by hand and the gauge showed full.

Is the float a brown plastic rectangle piece? If so it's still attached.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk