PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding / buying a GU Patrol

Gav72
4th June 2016, 12:38 PM
Hiya

I'm new and long overdue to join the 4wd game.
I'm keen on GU series 2 or 3??, 4.2L diesel .....
I've heard its probably a better option than the 3L gremlins....? perhaps not an issue...?
Looking to drive melb up the guts to through the Kimberleys gibb river rd and back nxt yr. would usually only clock up 100-150km a week around metro.
I have a few ideas, but open to any extra suggestions that cover the pro's / cons of the patrol, Other considerations, expected costs. What to look for / ask with shopping purchasing said vehicle.
Any Extras i should look to have on vehicle or should get.

Cheers

Gav

mudski
4th June 2016, 01:01 PM
Big price difference between a 3L and a 4.2.
Having had a 3l and now a 4.2. I will say the 3l is easier to drive around the suburbs. But trust was something that always sat in the back of my mind with the 3l. Now i don't have that worry.
But they do pretty good for the size of the car they need to drag around.
As for other things to look out for. Theres a bit.
Cracked rear spring towers, cracked rear rh barn door, if its manual, 5th gear used to strip the internal spline, theres an update kit for these and i dare say a lot would have been done. Something to check...
80k wobbles is notorious on the Patrols.
Due to many reasons but can be resolved.
Rusted lower radiator support panels.
Just to name a few to look out for.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Cuppa
4th June 2016, 01:58 PM
FWIW, I would suggest that you buy the car you most like to drive on a daily basis. Any 4wd will manage the trip you are talking about with ease.

I chose the 4.2 because I wanted a vehicle which will last me for many years of remote outback travel, is not dependent upon electrical sensors etc & because it has a larger heavy duty chassis than most 'smaller' 4wd's. The latter applies to the 3l's as well of course.

The 3l is more fuel efficient & nippier to drive, but I love driving my 4.2. A 3" exhaust & a dyno made it the car that Nissan should have sold, whilst not over stressing it, but it is slower & thirstier than the 3l.

threedogs
4th June 2016, 07:04 PM
$20k should see you in a early 4.2TD with a few mods.
I would change the very small AUX tank to the larger 75ltr
ones that are available, cause to me it just makes sense
if you want to tour

BigRAWesty
5th June 2016, 01:45 PM
So what's the budget..
You can go a early model 4.2 or much newer 3L. Late 07 CRD are the pick for reliability.. a few little mods like egr block, catch can and boost control will see the 3L very safe.

After owning a td42 and now an 08 zd30 the only thing I honestly miss is the low torque of the the 4.2..
Once going the little zd30 hauls..
The 4.2 was reliable as hell though.. 525,000 on it and still went like new and never missed a beat.

We took the newer car option though.. We thought an 08 with 63,000 on it was a better option than a 15 year old car with 250,000 on it.
Tbh.. I do miss the td42 as my parents both it when I was 5..
But the zd30 brings a smile to the dial every time I look at it..

Gav72
5th June 2016, 03:59 PM
Gday Mudski
Saying 3L easier to drive in the burbs, - is that just from an economy point of view - or would the missus have troubles steering it about a bit....
Thanks for the tips

Hey and would Manual over Auto be the way to go, or not really matter

Gav72
5th June 2016, 04:03 PM
Yep, I hear ya,
I just have reservations about rumours of the 3L having troubles.
I wouldnt be doing a lot of rugged off road 4WD, just more beginner 4WD and camping. and on average only 100-150km a week about town

BigRAWesty
5th June 2016, 04:07 PM
Gday Mudski
Saying 3L easier to drive in the burbs, - is that just from an economy point of view - or would the missus have troubles steering it about a bit....
Thanks for the tips

Hey and would Manual over Auto be the way to go, or not really matter
Ours is a manual and Nissa doesn't mind it. .
We were looking for an auto but went going to turn away the one we bought because it was a manual..

Gav72
5th June 2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks for tips Kallen,

We wont be towing a lot & lot a lot of extensive off road, but if the 4.2L is more reliable I'm keen for that

Thought i read something about the ZD30s having issues??

happygu
5th June 2016, 06:30 PM
Hi Gav,

Like Kallen, I have owned both, and even though I loved the 4.2, I wouldn't go back now, especially with the CRD being pretty reliable.

I have always owned Manuals, but I do think the Auto is a major consideration these days, and is easier to drive around town and downhill engine braking offroad is the only major deficiency - just gotta drive differently and drive through the brakes a little more. I would have considered the auto in my latest one if it happened to be the one that presented itself. My only other comment on the auto, is that it didn't seem to help you brake as much as I would have liked to see when you are slowing down to stop, so it seemed you had to use more brakes, but I am happy to be corrected by those who drive one regularly.

Depending on your budget, I would look at a CRD, to be both good at Daily Duties, and good Offroad.

BigRAWesty
5th June 2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks for tips Kallen,

We wont be towing a lot & lot a lot of extensive off road, but if the 4.2L is more reliable I'm keen for that

Thought i read something about the ZD30s having issues??
Yea early zd30 did have its issues..
But the crd seems to be quite safe..

Cuppa
5th June 2016, 07:25 PM
Gday Mudski
Thanks for the tips

It's not about steering or 'difficulty' in driving it, both are much the same. The only difference is that the older style 4.2 is slower off the mark than the 3.0 so a slightly different approach is needed at junctions, really not a biggie.

LostBenji
5th June 2016, 08:09 PM
Some might guess, I am over the crap flinging that goes on with the TD42 fan-boys against the ZD30.

Yeah, sure plenty have gone pop but look at the numbers of them out there, they have been around a long time now and still in production. I have driven plenty of TD42's and I have always enjoyed getting back into my 3L. It is way more efficient on fuel and gets the job done. City driving is quite easy with them as is the 110+ highway speeds.
Now look at the price, OMFG, the prices people are asking for them, seriously. Go buy the TB45 or TB48 if you want power, strap on a snail and go nuts. Otherwise buy a 3L and engine swap it down the track as some of the dream figures people want for TD42's leaves enough to do an LS conversion.

The ZD30 with simple mods make them strong and reliable.

There is only one TD42 I know that can pull away on me, but he has a huge snail pushing 35+ PSI into her with 12mm pump pistons. Now that is a donk worth the weekend, off-road comps it is used for.

Buy a car that suits your needs and your road testing, not what forum posts tell you. It is you that needs to use it.

mudski
5th June 2016, 11:23 PM
Some might guess, I am over the crap flinging that goes on with the TD42 fan-boys against the ZD30.

Yeah, sure plenty have gone pop but look at the numbers of them out there, they have been around a long time now and still in production. I have driven plenty of TD42's and I have always enjoyed getting back into my 3L. It is way more efficient on fuel and gets the job done. City driving is quite easy with them as is the 110+ highway speeds.
Now look at the price, OMFG, the prices people are asking for them, seriously. Go buy the TB45 or TB48 if you want power, strap on a snail and go nuts. Otherwise buy a 3L and engine swap it down the track as some of the dream figures people want for TD42's leaves enough to do an LS conversion.

There is only one TD42 I know that can pull away on me, but he has a huge snail pushing 35+ PSI into her with 12mm pump pistons. Now that is a donk worth the weekend, off-road comps it is used for.

Buy a car that suits your needs and your road testing, not what forum posts tell you. It is you that needs to use it.

Show one post here in this thread where us td42 fan boys and crap flinging.
All of us fan boys as you put it, have expressed the merits of both motors.
The op has asked for opinions and thats what we have done. Nothing more.
Now hop off that horse and take a chill pill.

macca
6th June 2016, 10:54 AM

Show one post here in this thread where us td42 fan boys and crap flinging.
All of us fan boys as you put it, have expressed the merits of both motors.
The op has asked for opinions and thats what we have done. Nothing more.
Now hop off that horse and take a chill pill.

I was gunna say WTF bought that on?

taslucas
6th June 2016, 03:37 PM
I guess that's a definite vote for the 3 litre lol.

>>>tappin from tassie

mudski
6th June 2016, 03:43 PM
I was gunna say WTF bought that on?
Yeah kinda got me confused.

macca
6th June 2016, 05:08 PM
The last of the 4.2's were 2006, so 10 years old now.
If your after a newer car the 3.0 litre is all you can get as a stock vehicle in diesel.
As others have said a common rail is the more reliable, I don't know that only going on what the folk here are saying.
Mine is a 4.2 and it is heavy, fat and thirsty, but, it is built for a job and does it well and no real gathering of bits & bites in silicon chips telling it what to do.
It was bought because of the old tech. Hopefully it can be kept going away from mechanics with diagnostic gear in the middle of some desert where your likely to find me on my holidays!
Good luck in your search and hope the folk here can help you out.

Rossco
6th June 2016, 05:52 PM

I don't think any TD42 "fan boys" have been crap flinging, at least not in this thread anyway. If anything they have pointed out some of the negative points of TDs and positives of the ZD.

I agree having driven my old man's 3L heaps, i reckon they're a very nice car to drive and cruise beutifully, the only negative is you don't have much touque off boost so need to get them revving and ride the clutch in real tricky/steep off road stuff.

TDs in standard form are far from quick, but off road are great and are renowned for being reliable. Sure there are heaps of ZDs out there that haven't missed a beat but they are well renowned for catastrophic failures. Nothing wrong with informing someone of this potential issue in a balanced way.

Also agree, do your research (which is what this is all about) and test drive as many as possible then buy what you like. . .

mudski
6th June 2016, 06:24 PM
...and no real gathering of bits & bites in silicon chips telling it what to do.
It was bought because of the old tech. Hopefully it can be kept going away from mechanics with diagnostic gear in the middle of some desert where your likely to find me on my holidays!

This is something that really keeps my mind at peace with the 4.2. Last thing you'd want is to be trying to diagnose something via jumper wires in the OBDII plug and figure out how to get going again if your stuck in the middle of chit creek. One of the many thing the op needs to look at.
I'm with macca. I'm old school when it comes to motors. If the user doesn't even touch the motor. Then its not going to matter either way....

Sir Roofy
6th June 2016, 06:26 PM
I don't think any TD42 "fan boys" have been crap flinging, at least not in this thread anyway. If anything they have pointed out some of the negative points of TDs and positives of the ZD.

I agree having driven my old man's 3L heaps, i reckon they're a very nice car to drive and cruise beutifully, the only negative is you don't have much touque off boost so need to get them revving and ride the clutch in real tricky/steep off road stuff.

TDs in standard form are far from quick, but off road are great and are renowned for being reliable. Sure there are heaps of ZDs out there that haven't missed a beat but they are well renowned for catastrophic failures. Nothing wrong with informing someone of this potential issue in a balanced way.

Also agree, do your research (which is what this is all about) and test drive as many as possible then buy what you like. . .

Well spoken Rossco nothing wrong with the 3l just as you said a bit more right foot
and I find they go better on the tracks in low 4 giving you a bit more torque

Gav72
6th June 2016, 07:07 PM
Awesome feedback folks,
And good to know most are down to earth and happy to help an eager novice.
This forum is helping me with my research and getting wiser, amongst other research I'm doing
keep it coming :)

Cheers

Rossco
6th June 2016, 07:22 PM
Well spoken Rossco nothing wrong with the 3l just as you said a bit more right foot
and I find they go better on the tracks in low 4 giving you a bit more torque
Cheers Roofy, i think the 3L are a great little motor, and for what they are they go bloody well. I think i would be very happy with a 3L especially for general touring they dive very nice. It is a shame however about the reliability issues, can be a bit of a gamble and depending on the year this would be in the back of my mind. My olds GU has done over 300 thou mainly towing all over Aus through the centre & heat without a problem totally stock (until recently -only has gauges & catch can) and I'm sure there's plenty others like it. But the stories of them letting go in a big way are common. I think you're in a good position now with a well built motor and all the mods done from brand new.

Sir Roofy
6th June 2016, 07:39 PM
Cheers Roofy, i think the 3L are a great little motor, and for what they are they go bloody well. I think i would be very happy with a 3L especially for general touring they dive very nice. It is a shame however about the reliability issues, can be a bit of a gamble and depending on the year this would be in the back of my mind. My olds GU has done over 300 thou mainly towing all over Aus through the centre & heat without a problem totally stock (until recently -only has gauges & catch can) and I'm sure there's plenty others like it. But the stories of them letting go in a big way are common. I think you're in a good position now with a well built motor and all the mods done from brand new.

they are good kept the other one going for 4yrs and did some big trips with her

Rock Trol
7th June 2016, 11:34 AM
Hiya

I'm new and long overdue to join the 4wd game.
I'm keen on GU series 2 or 3??, 4.2L diesel .....
I've heard its probably a better option than the 3L gremlins....? perhaps not an issue...?
Looking to drive melb up the guts to through the Kimberleys gibb river rd and back nxt yr. would usually only clock up 100-150km a week around metro.
I have a few ideas, but open to any extra suggestions that cover the pro's / cons of the patrol, Other considerations, expected costs. What to look for / ask with shopping purchasing said vehicle.
Any Extras i should look to have on vehicle or should get.

Cheers

Gav

Hi Gav. The series 2 and 3 zd30's are the motors that had the highest rate of melting Pistons. The problem wasn't fixed until the crd in 2007. The problem is the engine management system doesn't control combustion that well so if you push them too hard they can over fuel. Problems with maf, eratic boost and egr also contribute but even an engine that has all these components working well can be pushed too far. In the crd the engine management is different as is the head. Crd' have a knock sensor that lets the engine cut fuel if combustion is not correct. Crd is monitored a lot more than the old di's

Are you planning to tow with it? If so, don't let the motor lug. It's better to rev the engine in lower gear than lug it in 4and5.

Most of the info above I got from someone I know in a state based road side assist organisation. The early zd30's had a much higher engine failure rate than the industry standard. They got better after 2004 but could still go bang. After the crd the failure rate dropped to pretty much the average for all manufacturers. Only Nissan would know the total number of failures but they ain't telling. There are still a lot of early zd30's out there that are still going though so it's not like they will all fail but there is definitely a design fault there that you need to consider.

Gav72
11th June 2016, 10:42 AM
Hiya peoples,

Got myself an 06 4.8L petrol auto Yday - woohoo!!

Rock Trol
11th June 2016, 02:06 PM
Hiya peoples,

Congratulations on the new Patrol. I have never been in a TB48 Patrol but apart from fuel consumption their reputation is very good. Even power delivery and reliability!

the evil twin
11th June 2016, 02:47 PM
Hiya peoples,

Niiiice...

BigRAWesty
12th June 2016, 09:10 AM
Hiya peoples,

Nice mate. Be sure to do up a build thread..