PDA

View Full Version : RB30 standard 4.3.= 31" What ratio for 33'

mudnut
2nd June 2016, 05:36 PM
G'day, all. So I can post the correct info in the RB30 sticky thread, I wish to know the best diff ratios for an RB30 to run 33" tyres.

Or is it better/cheaper/easier to change the gearing in the Transfer case?

Cheers.

Throbbinhood
2nd June 2016, 06:23 PM
From those I've spoken to, and the rb30's I've driven including my own, 4.3's are still the best for 33'. I find on 31's she's revving pretty hard at highway speeds, something that's rectified by fitting the 33's.

I'm now on 35's and would prefer 4.6's, but can't be bothered spending the blood money wanted for them. If anyone ever wants to my 4.3's for their 4.6's I'd be happy to :P

Don't have any dual transfer or reduction gears, but GQ's are known for being far too quick in their low range gearing. I'd love dual transfers or reduction gears, but again all comes down to $.

Hope this helps.

mudnut
2nd June 2016, 07:01 PM
How have you rectified the speedo reading?

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2016, 08:19 PM
From those I've spoken to, and the rb30's I've driven including my own, 4.3's are still the best for 33'. I find on 31's she's revving pretty hard at highway speeds, something that's rectified by fitting the 33's.

I'm now on 35's and would prefer 4.6's, but can't be bothered spending the blood money wanted for them. If anyone ever wants to my 4.3's for their 4.6's I'd be happy to [emoji14]

Don't have any dual transfer or reduction gears, but GQ's are known for being far too quick in their low range gearing. I'd love dual transfers or reduction gears, but again all comes down to $.

Hope this helps.
Where were you 6 months ago. .
Sold a mint set of 4.6's.. would have swapped em no worries..

Going from a 31" to 33" tyre adds about 6-7% to speedo..
So my old gq speedo went from being 6km behind GPS reading to spot on at 100 after fitting 33's.

If you have 4.3 diffs and wish to keep stock ratios the 4.6 will be best suited..

But as mentioned they do Rev so if you don't mind loosing a few hundred rpm up top and want to just correct the speedo (should you need to) then get a correction gear..

Throbbinhood
3rd June 2016, 12:45 PM
The correction gear is an option. GQ's have a potentiometer behind the speedo, it's a little blue square with a white screw from memory. You have to drill a hole in the surround to get to it when you pull the speedo out.

Anyway, I drilled a screw and left my stuff connected loosely. Made an adjustment, went for a drive and measured against 2x GPS unit's. Pull over, adjust and repeated until I had it spot on. Took about 15min's to get it accurate, but on 35's and 4.3's my 103 displayed is 100kph, 60 displayed is 59. 80 displayed is 78. Close enough for my purposes, I found the more I adjusted, it would push it out slightly at the lower speed, I was happy with this and I won't get a ticket. Easy job, will take less than an hour if you have half a clue. :)

Throbbinhood
3rd June 2016, 12:50 PM
Where were you 6 months ago. .
Sold a mint set of 4.6's.. would have swapped em no worries..

Damn! Ha! Ah well, that's life hey!

mudnut
3rd June 2016, 12:55 PM
Ahh. So the potentiometer has a bigger range of correction than I thought. I will have to get one of our mods to add that to the on to my post in the Rb30 thread as well.

In your opinion , how much adjustment (turns) did you make to get the right reading?

Throbbinhood
3rd June 2016, 01:04 PM
Ahh. So the potentiometer has a bigger range of correction than I thought. I will have to get one of our mods to add that to the on to my post in the Rb30 thread as well.

In you opinion , how much adjustment (turns) did you make to get the right reading?

Yeah it works well, very easy to do and much nicer to be able to use the speedo normally.

Honestly, I did it two years ago so can't remember how many turns. But yeah, you can sort of have the dash a little apart so it's easy to get to and just do a bit of start stop to adjust it. If you've got a friend, they may be able to adjust while you drive, but personally I don't like people that close to my steering wheel while I'm driving haha.

dom14
7th June 2016, 12:13 AM
but personally I don't like people that close to my steering wheel while I'm driving haha.

I don't blame ya, unless of course it's a chick. ;) :D