PDA

View Full Version : I think I've been ripped off !!!

DX grunt
25th May 2016, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

I think I might have been ripped off, then again, it might be just me.

I had the GCM upgrade on my truck to 5900, and I have a look at my new rego plates, and they say 5900, but the compliance plate still says 3400 for the 'C' - before the new mod plate went on.

I'm thinking it already had the upgrade, but the modification plate wasn't affixed to the vehicle.

It's too late now, and it's a much better ride, but I'm just curious.

This's what was already on the side of the driver's door, and I can't find my previous rego papers to confirm it.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Telstra%20mods/ExtraMoreDXgrunt018.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/DXgrunt/media/DX%20grunt/Telstra%20mods/ExtraMoreDXgrunt018.jpg.html)

***** EDIT *****

I've just found my old rego papers from 2012 and the 'C' is 5900.

So, my question/statement is.... I'm guessing they upgraded it to 5900 before Telstra took delivery.
Does that mean that it doesn't have to have a modification plate on, if brand new and prior to delivery, it was modified?

threedogs
25th May 2016, 01:21 PM
you could get some new papers sent out for a small fee
well they charge you over here for a duplicate lol

DX grunt
25th May 2016, 01:23 PM
you could get some new papers sent out for a small fee
well they charge you over here for a duplicate lol

I did and they charged me $9, for the service.

I'll just go back and edit my original post.

BigRAWesty
25th May 2016, 01:52 PM
Mine had a little blue sticker in the drivers door stating gvm upgrade, cert number and date fitted etc etc..
But mine was gvm, they didn't change GCM.

Something isn't adding up here..
From factory a manual patrol GCM is 6230.

Maybe they have reduced the C (GCM) to increase the A (GVM).
Stock gvm is 3050kg.
So roughly works out they have increased GVM 350kg but reduced GCM the same..

That's weird..

macca
25th May 2016, 04:21 PM
GVM 3400 plus towing capacity 2500 = 5900??? Thats what mine is I think

GU CAMPER
25th May 2016, 04:23 PM
Mine is 3400kg GVM as standard with leaf springs (ex telstra )
I think GCM IS 5900kg but not sure as not printed on rego papers But towbar says 2500kg

the evil twin
25th May 2016, 06:21 PM
I thought I posted a few weeks back Rossco but AFAIK

You most likely got a GVM upgrade (Aggregate) at least that is what my work utes and the SES 'cruisers have... GCM is a different critter.

I don't know anyone doing engineered GCM upgrades in WA...

Cuppa
25th May 2016, 07:08 PM
GCM (Gross Combination Mass) does not change when you get a GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) upgrade.
GCM is the total weight you are allowed to be when towing.
GVM is the total weight you are allowed to be when not towing.

A GVM increase increases the GVM, but does not change the GCM. Consequently whilst you can carry more weight in the solo vehicle, if you do then the weight you can tow is reduced.

macca
25th May 2016, 07:40 PM
Knew you would know Cuppa.

BigRAWesty
25th May 2016, 08:02 PM
But according to a quick Google search GCM is 6230kg? ?

That could be manual though with a 3.2T towing capacity.
Auto is 2.5T.

the evil twin
25th May 2016, 08:29 PM
But according to a quick Google search GCM is 6230kg? ?

That could be manual though with a 3.2T towing capacity.
Auto is 2.5T.

It's a Ute... they are different again to the wagoonys

macca
26th May 2016, 06:25 AM
It's a Ute... they are different again to the wagoonys

And only 2.5 tonne towing capacity, WTF the rear end of these leaf utes are massive!

DX grunt
26th May 2016, 01:12 PM
I guess I'm frustrated because I've just spent over $3k, and the numbers on my old rego papers are the same as the duplicate ones I got after the mod was submitted to Dept of Transport.

It had 9 leaf springs on the back before the mod and still has 9 leafs on the back, after the mod.

I've got this gut feeling that the mod was done when it was brand new, before delivery, and a modification plate wasn't put on it.

Stuffed if I know what's going on.

Anyway, It was money well spent. My truck definitely sits higher, and it's a pleasure to drive.

Cuppa
26th May 2016, 09:58 PM
Mine had 10 leaf OME springs when I bought it. To get my GVM upgrade I had to fit the full Lovells kit which included 10 leaf springs which apart from being a pretty blue colour looked virtually identical to those that were removed. I don't know about over west but here in Vic I had to have a blue modification plate attached to the firewall under the bonnet which states that the GVM is 3900kg (up from 3400kg). As well as this there is a sticker in the door well & a warning sticker on top of the windscreen stating a GVM upgrade has been done. I have little doubt that the OME springs that were removed would have acrried the load just as well, but legally the GVM was still 3400kg. If you have had a legal GVM upgrade (as opposed to just getting increased carrying capacity) I would have thought that you should have a plate on the car somewhere stating what the GVM is. (What is on the side of the door is irelevant).

$3k sounds cheap to me for a retrospective GVM upgrade.

Mine felt heaps better after the upgrade which I put down to the old springs having reached their use by date, & probably the shock were not far behind.

If you had a GVM upgrade it should be shown on the rego papers.

Cuppa
26th May 2016, 10:21 PM

Makka
4th June 2016, 02:16 PM
and GVM will also come down to braked and unbraked loads (trailer) also you should find out individual axel mass so you dont over load the axel. road athorities on the east coast are going after caravaners at the moment excedding axel and gross weights.
there is a lot of thought has to go into loading your vehicle to get weight distribution correct....