PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Clicking Noise

npw112
22nd May 2016, 11:19 PM
Hi guys I have a set of 285/75R16 muddies and a standard 265/70 R16 spare on my 98 GU.

The rear right muddie got a puncture so I put the spare on and was driving for about 20 minutes (in 2wd) and noticed that when I turn a corner a clicking / tapping noise is coming from the rear right wheel area.

What have I damaged?

Any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

npw112
22nd May 2016, 11:31 PM
Also it is more of a clattering noise.

the evil twin
23rd May 2016, 12:45 AM
If you have an LSD then that is too big a difference in tyre dia, get it sorted asap

If you have an open diff and diff lock - Check the wheel nut tension... bit hard to describe but a few loose wheel nuts can give a clicking sound as the rim flexs from side load

BigRAWesty
23rd May 2016, 09:02 AM
Ow shit.. change it asap..
That's way to much difference in diameter and you'll distroy your lsd..
If you can't fix it asap stick the spare on the front and do not lock the hubs..
Not sure how the auto hubs will go though..
And watch the steering as it'll be off..
Best just to fix it asap..

npw112
23rd May 2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Took the flat mud tyre down to the tyre shop this morning (in another car) and got it repaired.

I will put it back on the Patrol tonight. Hope this issue is no longer occuring.

Lesson learnt will get a spare 285/75R16 muddy.

threedogs
23rd May 2016, 06:01 PM
Always try to have a spare with equal wear as well as matching size
If it happens again have the rear two the same and put the odd ones on the front.
But I think you wont have the problem again.

npw112
23rd May 2016, 10:00 PM
If you have an LSD then that is too big a difference in tyre dia, get it sorted asap

If you have an open diff and diff lock - Check the wheel nut tension... bit hard to describe but a few loose wheel nuts can give a clicking sound as the rim flexs from side load

I went to put the mud tyre back on again and the wheel nuts were loose :oops:

I feel really embarrassed / lucky that nothing bad happened but relieved that it wasn't the diff.

From now on I am double and triple checking the wheel nuts and getting a full sized spare.

threedogs
24th May 2016, 08:38 AM
After you have any work done on your wheels, re tighten after a few Kays.
Gus have a bad habit of dropping alloy rims off. Torque them to spec

npw112
2nd June 2016, 09:32 PM
After you have any work done on your wheels, re tighten after a few Kays.
Gus have a bad habit of dropping alloy rims off. Torque them to spec

I will remember that thanks mate.