PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Changing Oils.

bushnbash
20th May 2016, 08:29 PM
Sorry I couldn't find a sticky on this.
Ok before I go and buy all the oils to attempt doing this are there any tips to make this job easier for a 1st timer. This is my shopping list.
Rear Diff 2.1ltr Penrite Premium Mineral, SAE 140, API GL-5/6....
Front Diff 5.4 ltr Penrite Premium Mineral, SAE 80W-90, API GL-5/6...
Manual Transmission 3.9 ltr CASTROL MANUAL VMX-M 75W-85 & some Nulon G70 250gram for good measure.
Transfer Case 2.2ltr CASTROL UNIVERSAL 80W-90
Should this do the job?
Cheers Paul
P.S its a 1990 GQ TD42

growler2058
20th May 2016, 08:55 PM
Get a good oil pump the thick gear oils are tough to put in with a cheap oil syringe and takes ages. A good pump straight on to the bottle will make life easier. Also undo the filler plugs first before you drain the oils they can be a bastard to get off

Hodge
20th May 2016, 08:58 PM
Get a good oil pump the thick gear oils are tough to put in with a cheap oil syringe and takes ages. A good pump straight on to the bottle will make life easier. Also undo the filler plugs first before you drain the oils they can be a bastard to get off

Good advice. I use the Tom Thumb pump. But for thicker stuff like rear diff oil, I put the bottle of oil in bucket of hot water to thin it out a bit makes life a tad easier.

growler2058
20th May 2016, 09:03 PM
Good advice. I use the Tom Thumb pump. But for thicker stuff like rear diff oil, I put the bottle of oil in bucket of hot water to thin it out a bit makes life a tad easier.

I used the syringe type pump. Had a right bicep like a 13 year old boy by the end of it

strider
10th August 2016, 02:50 PM
Use a proper 13mm square male socket plug removal bit and not the half inch drive on a breaker bar. Supercrap does a kit for $40.