PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 Diesal 2005 . engine light on !! EEEK

Tip12345
16th May 2016, 04:57 PM
Hi all I have just got the new baby home ! and bugger the engine light is on sometimes the tachometer. is intermittent.
I cant find what model it is on the id plate . I have the vin number but cant see what model it is ?
I wil retire my old Rodeo after 700.000 kms I wanted a ute without common Fail Injection equipment . so Found myself a Nissan Patrol .

Yendor
16th May 2016, 06:05 PM
Hi mate,

The check engine light being on could be water in the fuel or it could be related to the tacho problem.

Try draining the water trap in the bottom of the fuel filter and see if any water comes out.

Also check the wiring harness from from the engine RPM sensor in the front of the engine.

The model is GU or Y61

Tip12345
16th May 2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks that's a start.

mudski
16th May 2016, 09:09 PM
Remember these Patrols have a bad issue with earthing. It might be good idea to add an extra eargh strap from the gearbox to the chassis.
There is a thread about the tacho or speedo jumping and it was a bad earth. I think.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

happygu
17th May 2016, 09:12 AM
Check the Earth Wire to the Engine which I think connects onto the intake manifold .. make sure this is tight and there is no corrosion. There should be 0 Ohm on your multimeter between the Battery Negative and the Engine when this is OK.

If the earth is all good, then you need to check the wiring harness back to the dash to see for any visible damage, and perform a continuity resistance check on the cables from the tacho sensor to the dash.

if the harness is good ( which it is most probably ), then you need to check the dash gauge by removing and physically inspecting for any components that are overheated/burnt, or any poor/dry solder joints.

Last thing would be the tacho sensor itself. They are around $200 so it wouldn't be my first thing to change.
http://patrolapart.com.au/product/genuine-nissan-patrol-tacho-sensor-gu-td42-2-wire1/genuine-nissan-patrol-tacho-sensor-gu-td42-2-wire1

Stropp
17th May 2016, 10:36 PM
Take a photo of the id plate and chuck it up on this thread.