PDA

View Full Version : intercooler fan? and pto vs elec for $

Trenny
11th May 2016, 07:41 PM
Hey team.
Two questions firstly was talking to someone who told me that got some really positive results with an intercooler fan, has anyone got one who can confirm this? Is it worth it cooling vs battery drain etc.

Also need to get a new winch wanted a pto but looking $1000 second hand here in NZ and looking $800 for a good new elec with warranty etc. What would you guys reccomend at those prices I have never used a pto personally but like the sound of them.

Cheers Hugh

Hodge
11th May 2016, 07:45 PM
Hello mate.
Can't answer the fan question. My intercooler with a fan will be fitted shortly and will be interesting to see what the fan does.

As for the winch. For around or under $800, you cannot go past Runva.
http://www.runvawinch.com.au/

Trenny
11th May 2016, 07:50 PM
Oh sweet I won't get the chance to install one on mine for at least a couple of weeks so let me know how it goes.

Sweet so definitely rate electric over the pto? was going to go Runva or Warn of I could find a good one.

Hodge
11th May 2016, 07:56 PM
Oh sweet I won't get the chance to install one on mine for at least a couple of weeks so let me know how it goes.

Sweet so definitely rate electric over the pto? was going to go Runva or Warn of I could find a good one.

I don't know the cons and pros of electric vs. pto, but yeah Runva seems to be the best value for $ going around.
They do PTO as well I think.

happygu
11th May 2016, 11:17 PM
I just upgraded my intercooler, top of the line ARE Unit but with no fan, and the improvement is fantastic. It is like i have 2/3 of an extra gear ... pulls up hills that I would have had to change down on, and cruises effortlessly.

Weather hasn't got above 25 degrees since I put the new intercooler on, so I can't comment on the difference in hotter weather, but I notice it right through the rev range.

I am going to monitor it through next summer, and install a fan if i need to, but at this stage, signs are good.

Electric Winch for me, but I have never owned a PTO Winch, so I don't want to comment on their effectiveness too much with the exception of the fact that my father-in-law had one on his Cruiser Tray on the farm and it worked well enough there but that was fairly flat ground with not too many areas to submerge the truck. PTO winches don't work as well when the engine isn't running in the middle of a huge bog hole or river crossing.