PDA

View Full Version : 20+ Psi coasting

BigRAWesty
11th May 2016, 02:56 PM
So I have one for the pros..
I've noticed after the exhaust has gone on when I'm coasting with cruse on or a pedal position just before engine braking comes on, or acceleration boost is running up to 20+ Psi. . Highest I seen was 26!!!!

When engine braking it's right down at sub 1 psi and under any sorta acceleration it's fine and maxes out at 15 as it should..

Not sure if it's the turbo over running or a faulty sensor??
Could it be not enough back pressure??

Help. I'm now worried about this weekend..
I've got 2000 road k's ahead of me!!!

Clunk
11th May 2016, 03:09 PM
Just drive the damn thing

BigRAWesty
11th May 2016, 03:14 PM
Just drive the damn thing
Nek minute pin drops....

nissannewby
11th May 2016, 03:55 PM
Boost wont kill it. What are egts like while this is happening?

Is your gauge absolute or is it corrected?

BigRAWesty
11th May 2016, 04:03 PM

Unsure on egt as yet to fit gauge..
Water temp doesn't move from the normal 88-90 though..
I can't hear the turbo spooling like I can under power.
Scangauge is reading corrected boost so you may be onto something..

Chubba
11th May 2016, 09:29 PM
What's going on here Kallen? You right for the weekend ?

trekster
11th May 2016, 09:36 PM
blocked egr?

BigRAWesty
11th May 2016, 09:42 PM
What's going on here Kallen? You right for the weekend ?
I bloody hope so!!!

blocked egr?
Yes..
Never thrown a code

trekster
12th May 2016, 06:05 AM
When I blocked my egr and put 3" exhaust on, without boost control, The ecu couldn't control the boost and if I was just cruising with bugger all foot down the boost would go up to like 25psi+ If I put my foot down there was no problem it would drop back, but couldn't cruise at all.... Might want to check your boost control setup assuming you have a dawes/tilix etc.

Maxhead
12th May 2016, 06:36 AM
Just clean your MAF and all your issues will magically disappear ;)
Sounds like a typical 3" exhaust over boost issue, time for dowes valve I reckon.

….................... On the move

Hodge
12th May 2016, 09:44 AM
I just read this... my boost was doing exactly the same before taming it with the dawes and needle setup after getting the exhaust fitted .
It was having spasms and best description was a yoyo effect.
After Mudski helped me set it all up it was so much better to drive smooth boost curve.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
12th May 2016, 11:58 AM
When I blocked my egr and put 3" exhaust on, without boost control, The ecu couldn't control the boost and if I was just cruising with bugger all foot down the boost would go up to like 25psi+ If I put my foot down there was no problem it would drop back, but couldn't cruise at all.... Might want to check your boost control setup assuming you have a dawes/tilix etc.

I just read this... my boost was doing exactly the same before taming it with the dawes and needle setup after getting the exhaust fitted .
It was having spasms and best description was a yoyo effect.
After Mudski helped me set it all up it was so much better to drive smooth boost curve.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Still ecu controlled..
Bugger..
I was sorta hoping I wouldn't have to go that road..
I'm actually liking the boost smart boost actuator conversion..
Might research more..

Quick Q. Did you guys get the readings off manual gauges or did you notice boost spikes threw scangauge with corrected boost reading?

I'll swap it to the manifold pressure on the scangauge and see if it's going off chart or if it is just the scangauge miss calculating..
I can't hear any turbo spool up when is saying 20+ Psi, like I can when I sink the boot in and it hits 15..

trekster
12th May 2016, 10:31 PM
For me both, Boost reading on torque would flash at 22psi so it couldn't go any higher, my old turbosmart gauge went to 25 and was off the chart a couple of times lol.

BigRAWesty
13th May 2016, 10:33 PM
So I've flicked the scangauge to Manifold pressure and it's not as bad as first thought. .
At 110km/h pressures were between 25 and 33 psi..
So under full load it was 30..
So yes still a little over but not double as the corrected boost reading was..

So..
I'm thinking current exhaust is still to loud..
So I'm thinking I'll be putting a cat in the dump pipe........
That may add the little back pressure needed to control the run away spool..
If not then I guess I'll need to look at manual controls..

Avo
13th May 2016, 10:35 PM
oh so the car is sticker material....No cat hey...what will the mrs say

BigRAWesty
13th May 2016, 10:50 PM
It is it is..
She know..
She likes the exhaust.. it sings around town..
Just a touch of a pain on the open road..

mudski
14th May 2016, 12:27 AM

Yeah my thoughts too. Nice fine if your caught without a cat too.

Clunk
14th May 2016, 10:16 AM
Yeah I've never understood why folk wouldn't put one back in and risk the sizeable fines, just get a hiflow jobbie so they can tell uncle plod. .... look its got one

Maxhead
14th May 2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah I've never understood why folk wouldn't put one back in and risk the sizeable fines, just get a hiflow jobbie so they can tell uncle plod. .... look its got one

Hey it's Westy we're talking about here :)

mudski
14th May 2016, 12:19 PM
Yep I had a high flow metallic filled cat when i had the 3ltr. Seemed pretty good to me. Not sure of the power difference it would have been without the cat but it was one thing i didn't want to risk.
I got checked twice in the time i had it by the rta. In the same spot too.
Both times the first thing they looked at was under the car at the exhaust.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2016, 01:40 PM
Ok Cat is on its way..
200cpi stainless cat, 4" body and 3" in and out..

Clunk
2nd June 2016, 03:46 PM
Ok Cat is not on its way..
200cpi stainless cat, 4" body and 3" in and out..
So why tell us if it's not coming?

threedogs
2nd June 2016, 04:07 PM
Unsure on egt as yet to fit gauge..
Water temp doesn't move from the normal 88-90 though..
I can't hear the turbo spooling like I can under power.
Scangauge is reading corrected boost so you may be onto something..

I'd be fitting some gauges to monitor your EGTs etc before you start all these mods

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2016, 04:14 PM
So why tell us if it's not coming?
Lol. Type. Dunno how but it's on its way..

I'd be fitting some gauges to monitor your EGTs etc before you start all these mods
Yes should have.. But got to keen. Lol..
Cats going in and gauges too..
All on the way..
Exhaust is done.

Bacho86
2nd June 2016, 08:50 PM
Hey did you end up fitting a Dawes or anything to fix your boosting issues or hoping the cat will fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2016, 09:44 PM
Hey did you end up fitting a Dawes or anything to fix your boosting issues or hoping the cat will fix it?

Hoping the cat will fix the issue..

mudski
2nd June 2016, 09:56 PM
The cat wont fix your issue. I dont see 20 psi as an issue aswell. If it were 10psi i would.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2016, 10:12 PM
The cat wont fix your issue. I dont see 20 psi as an issue aswell. If it were 10psi i would.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
It's not really an issue no, but it's not wanted.. happy with stock.
But the cat will assist the lack off back pressure and that has to be only reason why it's over spooling while coasting..
Not sure if it'll fix it or not.. I'm hoping it does but if not then it'll be valves to take control..

Bacho86
3rd June 2016, 07:36 AM
It's not really an issue no, but it's not wanted.. happy with stock.
But the cat will assist the lack off back pressure and that has to be only reason why it's over spooling while coasting..
Not sure if it'll fix it or not.. I'm hoping it does but if not then it'll be valves to take control..

All rite, interested to hear how you go.

Did you ever consider just doing the 2.75" exhaust upgrade?

People seem to have a lot less issues with this on the CRD, but I think only Beaudesert sell them at around $1200, which is close to double what you pay for a eBay 3" exhaust...

Getaboutabit
21st June 2016, 12:14 PM
Was there an outcome to this As mine (2012 CRD ) does the same boost climbs to 25 PSI

BigRAWesty
21st June 2016, 01:27 PM
All rite, interested to hear how you go.

Did you ever consider just doing the 2.75" exhaust upgrade?

People seem to have a lot less issues with this on the CRD, but I think only Beaudesert sell them at around $1200, which is close to double what you pay for a eBay 3" exhaust...

Sorry for the belated reply. I did read it with good intentions but then got side tracked..
No never did consider the 2.75" system purely for the reason you mentioned. .
In my eyes my old td42 had 25 years and over half a million k's on the stock zinc exhaust..
We run oil burners.. so unless your in the salty drink often I can't see the need for stainless..
So yea went the Playtime 3" system.

Was there an outcome to this As mine (2012 CRD ) does the same boost climbs to 25 PSI
Yes and no mate..
I have fitted the 200cpi stainless cat which is higher cpi than what Dea and Playtime fit. They only fit 100 cpi ceramic core cats.
But unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.. It's made an improvement, I'm only seeing over spool to 20 ish psi not 26 psi. That's on the scangauge reading calculated readings.
But Tillix is on its way soon to rid the issue..

BigRAWesty
10th August 2016, 02:06 AM
Ok so bit of closure on this. .
Tillix kit was installed to tackle the over boost issue..
Great bit of kit.
Have have completely done away with the stock ecu control but if you wanted to keep it you could simply put the tillix in and 'T' it into the vac line just before the actuator..
Then if you do get the over spool it'll only ever reach the max tillix setting and hold..

growler2058
8th September 2016, 07:30 PM

What does this mean ^^^

Rock Trol
8th September 2016, 08:56 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png[/IMG] Originally Posted by nissannewby http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=676300#post676300) Boost wont kill it. What are egts like while this is happening?

growler2058;695262]What does this mean ^^^

Absolute refers to MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) which is the total pressure in the manifold. This includes the air pressure + the boost. For instance here in Adelaide when I start up the scangauge which is set on MAP it normally displays 14.? psi without the turbo spooling. This is the barometric pressure on the day and can be affected by temp, humidity and altitude so it varies. When I drive off it adds the boost from the turbo and you get the number. Example: Barometric pressure is 14.5psi and turbo is creating 15.5psi the gauge will show 30psi or MAP.

Corrected is the value obtained by removing the barometric pressure and displaying only the pressure supplied by the turbo. A scangauge will show both but the MAP is more accurate as you have to tell it what the barometric pressure is and it just uses that value all the time regardless of altitude, high/low weather patterns etc.

nissannewby
8th September 2016, 09:39 PM
What he said...

BigRAWesty
8th September 2016, 10:42 PM
Absolute refers to MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) which is the total pressure in the manifold. This includes the air pressure + the boost. For instance here in Adelaide when I start up the scangauge which is set on MAP it normally displays 14.? psi without the turbo spooling. This is the barometric pressure on the day and can be affected by temp, humidity and altitude so it varies. When I drive off it adds the boost from the turbo and you get the number. Example: Barometric pressure is 14.5psi and turbo is creating 15.5psi the gauge will show 30psi or MAP.

Corrected is the value obtained by removing the barometric pressure and displaying only the pressure supplied by the turbo. A scangauge will show both but the MAP is more accurate as you have to tell it what the barometric pressure is and it just uses that value all the time regardless of altitude, high/low weather patterns etc.
Brilliant explanation.
Since having the stand alone boost gauge fitted I have found out the calculated reading can be off by a few psi..
So yes I still had an issue, but it may not have been so bad as originally thought..

growler2058
10th September 2016, 09:42 AM
So currently my MAP maxes out at 28.9. We'll see what happens when the new exhaust is on

BigRAWesty
23rd September 2016, 01:29 AM
So currently my MAP maxes out at 28.9. We'll see what happens when the new exhaust is on
That's 15 psi boost as per stock..
Take it for a cruze mate.
Under power and engine breaking it'll be fine.. But watch the coasting...