PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug troubles

damian.thomas
3rd May 2016, 09:53 PM
Hey guys

So the last month or so i have been having some troubles with my glow plugs, most times when i turn the ignition the glow plug light turns on and then off in a second or two and my car wont start, so i have to do this 5-10 times in a row to get the car to start.

When i finally get the car started it blows heaps of white smoke and run roughly for 20-30 seconds, then sometimes the light stays on for 5+ seconds and the car starts no problem.

I was thinkinf is there someth I ng wrong with the glow plug system or could i need new glow plugs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Damo

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Chappy
4th May 2016, 09:37 PM
The green glow box in the driver kick panel can play up some times when they start to get long in the tooth. I had that issue in the donor car that I used to do my TB42e to TD42t conversion. I set up a manual glow system via a switch on my dash so I can glow it for as long as I like. It's a simple setup and it works without fail.

damian.thomas
4th May 2016, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the reply, is there any possibility of heating the glow plugs for to long and causing damage to the plugs?

damian.thomas
4th May 2016, 10:04 PM
Also i had found these on ebay6662366624 worth trying these out or just go the manual way? I like the idea of not having to pay an arm and a leg for glow plugs

Chappy
4th May 2016, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, is there any possibility of heating the glow plugs for to long and causing damage to the plugs?

To be honest I'm not sure. I once left my glow plug switch on & it quickly flattened my battery. It didn't seem to do anything else though.

Also i had found these on ebay6662366624 worth trying these out or just go the manual way? I like the idea of not having to pay an arm and a leg for glow plugs

I replaced mine with a fresh set of Bosch/NGK (cant quite remember which brand). I figured that I use them every time I start my car so I wanted them to last. I just used the existing relay & manually wired it to a switch.

damian.thomas
4th May 2016, 10:06 PM
I guess you could have a push button to eliminate the chance flatting your battery

damian.thomas
4th May 2016, 10:15 PM
The glow plugs on the tb42 are 12 volt aren't they? The ones in the 2.8 are 6.5volts so i think i have to change the relay? Might be wrong though

Chappy
4th May 2016, 10:21 PM
The glow plugs on the tb42 are 12 volt aren't they? The ones in the 2.8 are 6.5volts so i think i have to change the relay? Might be wrong though

Push button is the smartest idea. That's what I had originally but the button fell apart so I've gone to a switch for now. TD42 are 12v yes. I'll send you a PM mate.

damian.thomas
4th May 2016, 10:23 PM
Cheers

damian.thomas
11th May 2016, 04:28 PM
Hey guys

So i finally got around to fixing the glow plugs. Running td42 glow plugs with a push button hidden under dash, was easier than i thought it would be. Starts first time every time now!!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers Damo

damian.thomas
11th May 2016, 04:29 PM
Also feel a little happier leaving it on the street now, that little bit harder to steal.

damian.thomas
14th May 2016, 09:50 AM
Hey guys, so i couldn't stop jumping around with happiness when i had fixed the glow plugs untill i went to start my car yesterday and nothing.... i push for 6 seconds, 10, 20 then 30 ect and absolutely nothing, my driveway is on a bit of a hill so i rolled down backwards almost started but then nothing... i tied to start again then it worked but after work i tried to start my car and nothing tried to push it with no luck. I had to get my brother to tow me to get it started. the glow plug relay still clicks could it still be the relay? Glow plugs? i havent pulled anything to pieces yet but i thought i would ask if anyone else had had this happen they could give some advice.

Sorry for all the questions guys not very mechanically minded but im tying.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, cheers Damo

Chappy
14th May 2016, 07:05 PM
Hey Damo,
Is the glow rail getting warm when you're holding down the button? Get someone to hold down the button and have a poke around the glow plugs and glow wire and feel for heat.
That will tell you if it's your wiring or not. If you can't feel it getting hot it's not getting power to them.

damian.thomas
14th May 2016, 07:19 PM
Next door came over circuit tested everything, everthing turned out to be working even power to the rail. He had a bit of a closer look and noticed the bolt that connected to the rail was loose even though it was as tight as possible so got a new stainless bolt and was fixed it up! There was power there but not enough due to bad connection.

Thanks again for the help chappy

Cheers Damo

Chappy
14th May 2016, 08:03 PM
Next door came over circuit tested everything, everthing turned out to be working even power to the rail. He had a bit of a closer look and noticed the bolt that connected to the rail was loose even though it was as tight as possible so got a new stainless bolt and was fixed it up! There was power there but not enough due to bad connection.

Thanks again for the help chappy

Cheers Damo

Good work mate, often a simple fix.