PDA

View Full Version : Sub tank issues

mhanly
2nd May 2016, 09:20 PM
Hi guys, second attempt at some advice on this one. Here is the previous fault finding I have done to no avail:
1. Confirmed power going to the fuel pump
2. Checked there is power from the switch in the cab when pressed
3. Tried the fault finding program as per the manual with no joy

Interestingly enough though no light comes on the button or on the dash when I push it in. I have checked the mechanism on the button and that works..any advice on the next check I can do would be appreciated!!

BigRAWesty
2nd May 2016, 09:37 PM
Check the pump voltage. If it's 12 v connect it directly to a battery to see if it's working..
They do tend to fail after a while..

the evil twin
2nd May 2016, 10:46 PM
I don't quite get what the problem is?

Do you have power to the pump and fuel flow and no light or power to the pump and no flow?

Yendor
2nd May 2016, 10:51 PM
Does the "sub tank" light come on in the dash when the ignition is turned on but engine not running?

How did you confirm power to the pump? If it has power and earth at the fuel pump but the pump is not working it has to be a faulty pump.

The sub tank switch is wired to switch negative. Was the power in the White wire a Black trace? (this is for the on light in the switch). The switch is a momentary on type switch so you'll need to check for continuity between the contacts while pushing the switch in.

Do both fuel gauges work correctly?

mhanly
8th May 2016, 04:53 PM
Hi guys,

Answers below:

Do you have power to the pump and fuel flow and no light or power to the pump and no flow?
Yes have power to the pump but no light comes on and no flow

Does the "sub tank" light come on in the dash when the ignition is turned on but engine not running?
No light does not come on at all

How did you confirm power to the pump? If it has power and earth at the fuel pump but the pump is not working it has to be a faulty pump.
Checked power to the pump with a multimeter i.e. confirmed there was voltage when pressed in. It is looking more and more likely at this stage.

The sub tank switch is wired to switch negative. Was the power in the White wire a Black trace? (this is for the on light in the switch). The switch is a momentary on type switch so you'll need to check for continuity between the contacts while pushing the switch in.
Yeah checked it when pushed in and there was continuity..

Do both fuel gauges work correctly?
Yup both gauges working fine.

BigRAWesty
8th May 2016, 08:46 PM
Pumps shagged..
Cheap to replace..
They are slow.. only a couple of liters a minute..

mhanly
11th May 2016, 09:56 PM
Ok mate cheers I'll go forward with that!!