PDA

View Full Version : Body lift causing overheating??

Mattyd
28th April 2016, 11:23 PM
Hello. I have a gq patrol td42 that I have fitted a turbo to. I fitted a 2 inch body lift to it some time ago with out any real issues. Since the turbo I am having overheating issues on the freeway and towing. I have fitted new fan, fan hub, more oil in the hub, new radiator, new hi flow thermostat, removed the a/c condenser and thoroughly flushed the cooling system and filled with new coolant. I have spaced up the rear of the bonnet and fitted a 14 inch fan onto the front of the radiator to push additional air through. Not ont of these things has made a difference. I am thinking that because the fan is now 2 inches lower in the shroud it has become inefficient. What do you guys think? Has anyone had this issue? Has anyone lowered the radiator and seen an improvement? Thanks in advance.

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2016, 12:16 AM
I doubt it very much. I have run a body lift for 12 years without a problem with overheating. It sounds like you might have some bigger issues. Do you have an EGT gauge? Has the car been on a Dyno and tuned properly? What boost does it run?

dom14
29th April 2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine a body lift causing overheating.
Must have something to do with the turbo conversion.

NissanGQ4.2
29th April 2016, 04:31 PM
I doubt it very much. I have run a body lift for 12 years without a problem with overheating. It sounds like you might have some bigger issues. Do you have an EGT gauge? Has the car been on a Dyno and tuned properly? What boost does it run?

Did you adjust your shroud 2 suit Darren? I'm pretty sure after my body lift in the TB4.2 EFI not redoing my shroud properly contributed 2 my temps rising especially constant stop starts sitting at lights and held up in Sydney peak hour traffic, freeway running it was ok ... And I'm pretty sure that was before my radiator went RS and had 2 block a core *L*

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2016, 05:04 PM
Did you adjust your shroud 2 suit Darren? I'm pretty sure after my body lift in the TB4.2 EFI not redoing my shroud properly contributed 2 my temps rising especially constant stop starts sitting at lights and held up in Sydney peak hour traffic, freeway running it was ok ... And I'm pretty sure that was before my radiator went RS and had 2 block a core *L*

No. I have done 6 or 7 Body Lifts now and have not needed to make that adjustment.

I think its a Tune issue for this member and Too much fuel cooking things with the new turbo.

the evil twin
29th April 2016, 06:16 PM
snip... Not ont of these things has made a difference. I am thinking that because the fan is now 2 inches lower in the shroud it has become inefficient. What do you guys think? Has anyone had this issue? Has anyone lowered the radiator and seen an improvement? Thanks in advance.

I agree with others above...

Yes, (as posted by others) you will lose efficiency if the rad, shrouds, rubber skirts etc aren't realigned.
None of those 'cooling system' fixes made a difference because that isn't where the major part of the problem lies.

I would get a tune done as MR suggests and work from there

If your engine fan is in good nick after changing all that gear I would get ride of the 14 inch eleccy job as well, that will only make it worse not better