PDA

View Full Version : Installing a long range tank

jay see
26th April 2016, 12:03 PM
A little while back I picked up BA long range sub tank.

Now, I've pulled out the standard tank and it looks like a pump set up inside.

The long range is completely empty inside.

Can this pump come out, it looks like it might be spot welded down???

As long as the sender is long enough could I use the same one.

mudski
26th April 2016, 02:02 PM
Not sure about the pump John. If your not using it, and you can get it out then do so. If not, I dont see why it can't stay in there. As for the sender. When I did my long range aux tank, I cut and extended the sender arm to suit. Seems to have worked.
Edit : Going by the photo, it looks to me the pump is clipped in somehow onto the spot welded part of the tank. I would assume the pump can come out because what it is fails and needs to be replaced?

jay see
26th April 2016, 02:22 PM
Cheers Mark.

Yeah, there's a clip holding it in.
I do need a pump in the long range don't I?
I had them side by side and I can't see how it's going to fit. The bolt holes are all different.

Putting it back together, will look at it another day..

mudski
26th April 2016, 03:05 PM
Cheers Mark.

Yeah, there's a clip holding it in.
I do need a pump in the long range don't I?
I had them side by side and I can't see how it's going to fit. The bolt holes are all different.

Putting it back together, will look at it another day..

Not sure on the pump. Mine had an external transfer pump from factory.
The back section where it mounts looks similar to mine, I had to make some brackets for the inner rear mount, the outer rear sat up against the chassis so I drilled the chassis and bolted it through. The front on mine fitted up to the chassis where the oem tank did, less the large oem bracket from the chassis to the tank.
I dont think that tank will fit a GU if it came from a GQ???? The floor pan shape is different I believe. Plus even if you do, you will need a bent upper right hand control arm.

jay see
27th April 2016, 12:58 AM
Not sure on the pump. Mine had an external transfer pump from factory.
The back section where it mounts looks similar to mine, I had to make some brackets for the inner rear mount, the outer rear sat up against the chassis so I drilled the chassis and bolted it through. The front on mine fitted up to the chassis where the oem tank did, less the large oem bracket from the chassis to the tank.
I dont think that tank will fit a GU if it came from a GQ???? The floor pan shape is different I believe. Plus even if you do, you will need a bent upper right hand control arm.

I need to do some more research, but doubtful it will fit after seeing it almost in position and yes it came out of BAs GQ.

I need to pull it out when I have enough time to muck around with it.

The back end could possibly be bolted to a bracket off the original mounting plate, but the front nfi. If it does fit it will be bloody tight. The other thing is the location of the sender.
I know about the bend control arm.
Well time will tell...