PDA

View Full Version : Gu gearbox - ls1 patrol

digger12
25th April 2016, 05:19 PM
Hey guys I'm after some opinions please.
I have a 5 speed manual box in my 2000 model gu at the moment which is on its last legs and needs a rebuild. I have converted from the zd30 grenade to an ls1 and would like to know which option would be better long term.

First idea : rebuild my current zd30 box and install the bigger/stronger 5th gear. Was also going to install the marks adapters 5 th gear over drive ratios.... Currently the car sits on 2600-2700 rpm at 100km/hr.

Second idea : remove my zd box and purchase a second hand 4.8 petrol gu box which would already have bigger/stronger 5th gear. I've also been told the 4.8 boxes have a lower 5th gear ratio...... Which would save me buying the marks adapters ratios for the zd box.

Which option do you guys recommend. I am in no way looking at building a race truck, just want a solid reliable gearbox more suited to touring and towing a van.

Cheers guys

threedogs
25th April 2016, 05:21 PM
Id go the 4 speed auto from GMH
T700r

J_o_h_n81
31st May 2016, 01:00 PM
If your good on the tools and don't mind a bit of wiring
6l80e auto, but you'll want 3.9 or 4.11 as a final with 33" tyres
Marks also sell the adaptor for the transfer case
As far a wiring it up that will depend on what computer your running on the ls1

Alitis007
31st May 2016, 03:15 PM
If your good on the tools and don't mind a bit of wiring
6l80e auto, but you'll want 3.9 or 4.11 as a final with 33" tyres
Marks also sell the adaptor for the transfer case
As far a wiring it up that will depend on what computer your running on the ls1

Unless your ls1 is out of a late model vz hsv (which is an L97 i think) you can't run a 6L80/85. It's not just as simple as wiring and ecu, the cam and crank sensors and pickups need to be changed from the 1x and 24x to the 4x and 64x on the motor to communicate to the ls3 Ecu which runs at 1gbps unlike the ls1 which runs at 657mbps for a start then and whole new engine harness/wiring loom would need to be made and list goes on. For the amount if things that need to be changed to make an ls1 work with a 6l80, it's not worth it lol. I'm pretty sure i started a thread about it a couple of years ago and have all the details in there haha

Hey guys I'm after some opinions please.
I have a 5 speed manual box in my 2000 model gu at the moment which is on its last legs and needs a rebuild. I have converted from the zd30 grenade to an ls1 and would like to know which option would be better long term.

First idea : rebuild my current zd30 box and install the bigger/stronger 5th gear. Was also going to install the marks adapters 5 th gear over drive ratios.... Currently the car sits on 2600-2700 rpm at 100km/hr.

Second idea : remove my zd box and purchase a second hand 4.8 petrol gu box which would already have bigger/stronger 5th gear. I've also been told the 4.8 boxes have a lower 5th gear ratio...... Which would save me buying the marks adapters ratios for the zd box.

Which option do you guys recommend. I am in no way looking at building a race truck, just want a solid reliable gearbox more suited to touring and towing a van.

Cheers guys

To run the tb48 5speed you'll first need an after market tcm and then the adapter kit from marks. The cheapest option is to run a 4L60/65e that are factory mated with the ls1 and get the transfer case adapter from marks. The second and strongest option is to find a 4L80/85e from a holden suburban or a chev suv/truck, first gear is taller and is stronger than the 4l60/65. Some wiring needs to be changed from the 60 harness but also the speedo pickup needs to be moved from memory

threedogs
31st May 2016, 04:47 PM
alitist007 would Killer Kustom looms have plug and play
harnesses off the shelf???

Also having the taller first gear would that
effect off road gearing in say low 1st ??

Maxhead
31st May 2016, 06:10 PM
@TD. I think increasing the length of the loom would shorten the tall gear syndrome whilst giving you much better torque range through the gears. IMO having the right and correct gauge and length of the loom is important......I could be wrong though :)

J_o_h_n81
31st May 2016, 06:47 PM
Atomic tcm from msd
Makes it all plug and play, and they quite ofteren have deal with free harness saving you $150us
So all up under 1k au deliverd, if you have to pay for harness it will put you over 1kAus so you'll have to pay gst

Not hard like it use to be

Alitis007
31st May 2016, 07:30 PM
alitist007 would Killer Kustom looms have plug and play
harnesses off the shelf???

Also having the taller first gear would that
effect off road gearing in say low 1st ??
I wouldn't know John, that's a question you'd have to ask them. The question that should be asked is, did whoever spliced the op's loom in the first place leave the plugs for the pcm and tranny in or did they just use what they needed

@TD. I think increasing the length of the loom would shorten the tall gear syndrome whilst giving you much better torque range through the gears. IMO having the right and correct gauge and length of the loom is important......I could be wrong though :)
Makes me wonder if you blow a rod would it be spat or swallowed?? [emoji57]

Atomic tcm from msd
Makes it all plug and play, and they quite ofteren have deal with free harness saving you $150us
So all up under 1k au deliverd, if you have to pay for harness it will put you over 1kAus so you'll have to pay gst

Not hard like it use to be

There are few different after market TCM's available on the market but the 6L80/85 has one bolted onto the valve body, but saying that you do know that the 6L's use data from the airflow meter to control the shifting pattern, shift firmness and kick down

J_o_h_n81
31st May 2016, 08:18 PM
I can see your not you average key board warrior, you actually know what you are talking about
All the stand alone tcm still use the inbuilt tcm as well, patc also make a good stand alone

taslucas
31st May 2016, 08:26 PM
Oh alitis is definitely a keyboard warrior. Straight up ninja punk

>>>tappin from tassie

Alitis007
31st May 2016, 08:50 PM
I can see your not you average key board warrior, you actually know what you are talking about
All the stand alone tcm still use the inbuilt tcm as well, patc also make a good stand alone
You're right, I'm just a plain old carnt [emoji56] like i said earlier I done my homework about running the 6L behind an ls1, and even tho you can make it work it won't work correctly. Fyi i get paid to know, not think while i work in customers cars so I generally don't open my mouth unless I'm right. I sound cocky right !? Hahaha I probably am ask my mate tasLucy

You haven't given any information to support your argument, apart from googling aftermarket trans computer brands what actual facts do you have ??

Oh alitis is definitely a keyboard warrior. Straight up ninja punk

>>>tappin from tassie
*Greek god thanks sweetness

taslucas
31st May 2016, 08:58 PM
Cocky, yep definitely. Cocky heady!

>>>tappin from tassie