PDA

View Full Version : Catch Can DIY Questions

shaun100
25th April 2016, 10:49 AM
Gday all,

I am in the process of building a catch can as per the Nissan Patrol Reference Document from Aksniss as I have all the gear sitting in my shed.

I have some question which isnt explained in the PDF.

Which side of the can does the inlet (engine) hose go to, to the side with the foam, or the open baffle side.

Thanks

threedogs
25th April 2016, 02:46 PM
I thought the mist[oil] goes to the side with the steel wool in it
the return air past the MAF , the Mist [oil] need to attach to something
hope that helps a bit

the evil twin
25th April 2016, 03:28 PM
Agree...

For that design the Non- baffle side (IE the surface of the coalescer medium) is the inlet from the engine (oily shit) and the Baffle side is the outlet (less oily shit)...

shaun100
25th April 2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys, Ill run the line from the engine into the filter medium side, and the return to intake tube from the no filter medium side.

threedogs
25th April 2016, 03:36 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention the "oily shit" i aplogise and it will never happen again,,,,,my bad lol

shaun100
25th April 2016, 03:50 PM
On a side note:

Im building the can this weekend and will hopefully fit it up next weekend.

Am I correct in saying I should remove intercooler and clean out, and also clean the intake from the egr inlet to the turbo?

Anything else I should do while Im at it?

Cheers

the evil twin
25th April 2016, 04:07 PM
Can if you want but... now you have a Can the oily shit in the I/C will get caught anyway and there won't be much in the pre-Turbo.

I would clean the MAF tho if you haven't done so in the last 20,000 K's

the evil twin
25th April 2016, 04:09 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention the "oily shit" i aplogise and it will never happen again,,,,,my bad lol

The use of correct engineering terminology goes a long way to ensuring the comprehension of the explanation you naughty, naughty boy... now... go and fix your DRL switch

shaun100
25th April 2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks, yeah I cleaned the maf with contact cleaner and nothing seemed to come off it. Suprisingly.......

threedogs
25th April 2016, 04:18 PM
"oily shit" is now written in my manual incase like minded ppl find the
oily mist too much lol Switch is working fine now to run some air line
etc and wire up my tank/motor