PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug light

SKID
25th April 2016, 07:36 AM
I have a 2000 GU series 2 which was originally a 3Ltr but the previous owner converted it to a 4.2Ltr being a 4.2 silvertop, the problem I have is when I glow the plugs, the light stays on for about 3 seconds, if the motor is already warm the light will only stay on for a second, where and how to I make adjustments to make the plugs glow longer?
Also when I start the motor regardless if the motor is hot or cold, the is a cloud of blackish/greyish smoke, I really notice at night if I put my foot down going up a hill and there is a car behind me, it looks like I have flicked a switch to turn on smoke screen mode!!!! during the day if I put the foot down sometimes I can see a bit of black smoke. The motor has done 320000, other than the above problems/concerns it runs well

Ryank
25th April 2016, 08:37 AM
You can get aftermarket glow plug timers. But generally the oem one should sense engine temp and glow accordingly. Perhaps crap connection at temp sender that go's to the glow plug timer or sender is out of spec

Touses
25th April 2016, 08:37 AM
Hi Skid. You haven't mentioned if the glow plug issue is a new manifestation or has always been the case.

My local auto leccy tells me that plugs have an afterglow, they continue to glow after starting for a further 8 pulses, unsure what a pulse period may be.

This may be all your issue is but better safe than sorry, best to have them and your glow timer checked by your local leccy.

Re the black smoke issue. It is not unusual for a diesel to smoke on startup. the putting your foot down problem may indicate a tune is in order.

It could well be an fuelling issue. Did the prior owner have the fuel pump calibrated/tuned when he did the changeover?

It could also indicate an issue with the oil rings. Does it use a lot of oil?

If this is the case load the vehicle to the max load a trailer to the max and drive it like you hate it for a week.

The intention there is to work the engine to remove the glaze on the bore (if it is glazed). Diesels hate to be babied!

Alternatively, Check out the excellent thread started by Cuppa.

It is in general chat headed 2 stroke oil in common rail engines, or similar. Have a read and apply the advice. It is certainly working for me.

Sorry i can't patch you in a link I am a pooter gumby!

Cheers, Rob

SKID
25th April 2016, 08:44 AM
You can get aftermarket glow plug timers. But generally the oem one should sense engine temp and glow accordingly. Perhaps crap connection at temp sender that go's to the glow plug timer or sender is out of spec

Can you tell or show me via a picture where to look for this temp sender connection etc please...
And how do I adjust it if out of spec...

SKID
25th April 2016, 08:57 AM
Hi Skid. You haven't mentioned if the glow plug issue is a new manifestation or has always been the case.

My local auto leccy tells me that plugs have an afterglow, they continue to glow after starting for a further 8 pulses, unsure what a pulse period may be.

This may be all your issue is but better safe than sorry, best to have them and your glow timer checked by your local leccy.

Re the black smoke issue. It is not unusual for a diesel to smoke on startup. the putting your foot down problem may indicate a tune is in order.

It could well be an fuelling issue. Did the prior owner have the fuel pump calibrated/tuned when he did the changeover?

It could also indicate an issue with the oil rings. Does it use a lot of oil?

If this is the case load the vehicle to the max load a trailer to the max and drive it like you hate it for a week.

The intention there is to work the engine to remove the glaze on the bore (if it is glazed). Diesels hate to be babied!

Alternatively, Check out the excellent thread started by Cuppa.

It is in general chat headed 2 stroke oil in common rail engines, or similar. Have a read and apply the advice. It is certainly working for me.

Sorry i can't patch you in a link I am a pooter gumby!

Cheers, Rob

Can anyone give or show me in a picture where this timer is located etc[/B]
The glow plug set up has been like this since I bought the car last August, the previous owner said it was nothing to worry about, but the things I've had to fix like 4wd light not working and heaps of other issues that they said were nothing to worry about
have no idea if the fuel pump was calibrated etc after engine swap or if they just dumped the old 3ltr and put the 4.2 in straight out of a working GQ![/B]

If I use a semi synthetic it will use about 2 liters between changes, if I use a pure mineral one, like I did the oil change before last it didn't use any at all...I put penright in when doing last oil change and checked it this morning and it took just under 2ltr to fill it to the top mark on the dip stick, it was just over the low mark when I checked it, since I've been doing 200+ K's per day doing jobs in the past 2 months I've been watching the oil level, was very happy with the nulon15-50 for older engines, then on last change they didnt have the nulon so recommended the penrite, so wasnt happy to see the level on the dipstick after only just under 3000K's...[/B]

Touses
26th April 2016, 12:06 PM
Hi Skid. Sorry it took me a while to get back to your query.

There was a high horse needed riding,it subsequently threw me. I have since had it shot and sold for dog meat!

Can't help you with the glow plug timer piccie. Perhaps download a manual, you certainly qualify. (Crap! Somebody shoot that horse again!) LOL

As far as oils are concerned, now you have established what does and does not work for you obviously stick with the does work!

Personally I have been using the Penrite 15/50 semi synthetic for a number of years without issue.

Any chance you know the number of K's the 4.2 had done/has now done. That figure may help indicate the internal state of the engine.

No mention either of NA or turbo.

If, and it's a good idea to, you are trying the two stroke path stick to it for a couple of tanks and monitor the smoke issue.

Keep us posted,(chuckle, chuckle) Rob