PDA

View Full Version : Advise or thoughts 4.2 purchase...

Dan02
23rd April 2016, 04:41 PM
hi folks
Am in need of advise / thoughts on potential purchase of a manual 4.2 6cyl turbo Patrol ST with 315000km
Am heading out tomorrow morning to have a look and plan on getting it.
Have had a search and read on previous posts Just wonde3red if anyone cared to share thoughts on a vehicle that is basically 15 years old with 315000km on it.

Have had a chat with the vendor. Says its completely stock, not had rebuild but has regular maintenance history. I will check the log.
No mods at all. AM a bit concerned with the K's on it wondering if its due for a re build. should it be blowing any smoke at that age and if so is it a concern. Vendor recons its never towed anything bigger than a box trailer to the tip. Rarely if ever been in 4wd. Would that be an issue.

Redbook indicates low teens but its on for around 20K. I understand this is only a guide.

This will be my first Patrol , bearing in mind I can get something around 2008 for similar $$$ and as am probably the final owner of this vehicle am wondering just what should I offer and what am i up for regarding upcoming repairs. any advise or thoughts appreciated.

cheers
Dan

Touses
23rd April 2016, 04:53 PM
Hi Dan. At 315k a diesel that size is barely run in, however they do love to work so if it has been babied it may have a few small issues.

If it isn't blowing buckets of smoke it should be ok. You didn't mention if it is turboed, at those k's that may be your only major concern.

Take note of the general condition of the vehicle as a whole if it's overall appearance indicates a lack of care you may be wiser to look further afield!

Good hunting!

Dan02
23rd April 2016, 05:24 PM
thanks Touses

its a turbo from the advert details. hopefully the logbook will shed some light on the service history. When I asked him about any major rebuild he wasnt aware of anything except for the regular services (says is selling for relative so doesnt have much history)

So just to clarify its ok to blow a bit of smoke. He mentioned there was a bit on startup but thats fairly typical and doesnt reveal much.
cheers

threedogs
23rd April 2016, 06:10 PM
Hi Dan. At 315k a diesel that size is barely run in, however they do love to work so if it has been babied it may have a few small issues.

If it isn't blowing buckets of smoke it should be ok. You didn't mention if it is turboed, at those k's that may be your only major concern.

Take note of the general condition of the vehicle as a whole if it's overall appearance indicates a lack of care you may be wiser to look further afield!

Good hunting!

Pretty sure all GU 4.2's are turboed.

What do you intend to use the Patrol for??

Smoke on start up may mean other things I know mine doest blow smoke on start up>

Winnie
23rd April 2016, 06:25 PM
Pretty sure all GU 4.2's are turboed.

What do you intend to use the Patrol for??

Smoke on start up may mean other things I know mine doest blow smoke on start up>
They aren't.
While the engine is fine for those kms just remember the whole car has done 300k kms, check over the suspension and bushes.

Dan02
23rd April 2016, 06:32 PM
Thanks Threedogs
mate this is the one that's taking me and the kids to Bribie on weekends, Frazer Isl a couple times a year. pigging trip up north. and needs get me to work most days 60k round trip roughly (might buy a vespa for that)
Basically this is getting me out of town every chance i get. HAd the pagero through landcruiser park a couple of times went fine but not into too much rock climbing if possible.
cheers

Clunk
23rd April 2016, 06:46 PM
Check for cracks where the rear spring housings are welded to the chassis. Get the car up to between 80 to 100kph, feel for steering wobble, could indicate worn bushes.

My TD42 GQ is 23 years old, had 393000km on the clock and is still going well, many more out there with much higher km, so don't be too put off.

Dan02
23rd April 2016, 06:52 PM
thanks everyone
will see how it goes tommorow

cheers

MB
24th April 2016, 08:29 AM
G'day Dan,
Good luck today mate.
We picked up my Mrs a GU02 4.2TD from Bundaberg a few years back for $28k. Its about to hit the magic 300k mark and going as strong as the day we picked her up.
We have just recently put a 2" lift in it so most bushes were just done and it will need injectors looked at sometime in the next 50k my mechanics reckon.
Best car I've owned, honestly :-)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katwoman
24th April 2016, 08:55 AM
HI Dan, I've got a '99 GU. That's done about 308000 had her for 40,000kms. Engine wise, I have had no dramas, but I have done all the suspension and bushes. Mine is gas injected so only time will tell if that is a good or bad thing long term. Good luck with it.

threedogs
24th April 2016, 02:22 PM
They aren't.
While the engine is fine for those kms just remember the whole car has done 300k kms, check over the suspension and bushes.

So some Gu's are NA are they Winnie???

A GU 4.2 TD will do what you want and more
very hard to kill them, keep the service intervals
up use all the correct fluids and it'll last you ages.
As Winnie pointed out remember the rest of the car has done 315k
thats wheel bearings etc. A member here brought a 98 model with lift
33" tyres roof rack 4.2 TD and a few other bits and pieces ready to do the Cape for
$20K, so see how you go

MudRunnerTD
24th April 2016, 02:46 PM
Will be a great car if it's as original and stock as they say. The Kim's are not huge especially if it's been a country car with big hwy Kim's.

The TD42 is a beast mate. I fitted a Turbo to mine at 360,000km with not even a compression test. Solid as a rock, especially if it has never been opened.

Forget the redbook, the Td42 demands a higher price for reason. It will easily do what you want it for. A good Dyno time and you will unlock 20%+ increase in power without any mods.

Black smoke is not a problem for the TD42. If there is a lot when on the pedal then a decent time could sort it out. It might need injectors at worst.

Good luck mate.

the evil twin
24th April 2016, 03:48 PM
So some Gu's are NA are they Winnie???

Very early GU was a TD42 (normally aspirated) dunno how many landed here tho
then a couple of years of TD42T (non-intercooled)
then about series 3 or so TD42Ti (intercooled)

Ryank
25th April 2016, 08:40 AM
would still have the cross hatching in the bores at 300

MB
25th April 2016, 07:40 PM
G'day Dan,
How'd you go old mate, was she any good?

Dan02
1st May 2016, 08:25 PM
Hey folks just thought would mention here that I got it home yesterday.
As I drove down the freeway enjoying my purchase noticed the aircon mysteriously stopped working. No worries I thought, just wind down the old window cause at 80KPH its fine. Couldn't go faster cause of the car wobble hitting if I tried. So a couple of things to be looked at this week.

Might be a good opportunity for that lift while under there.

Plasnart
1st May 2016, 08:41 PM
Pics please Dan! Congrats on the purchase mate, takes me back to when i bought mine 7 years ago. Easily the best car ive ever owned, hands down! Love it. Yours will give you everything youve hoped for, and then some!

Edit, you posted as i typed! Yeah may be a couple of niggles to sort but without too much drama youll have it right. Looks nice mate!

the evil twin
1st May 2016, 08:44 PM
A/C could simply need a regas

80 KPH Death Wobble can be lots of things, if you are going to lift it then that will be the time to sort all the front end bushes etc

Dan02
1st May 2016, 09:03 PM
Its stock as so there is a bit of work, the original owner had it on a small farm south west of Gold Coast most of its life. And now as they say the fun begins. promised kids would get out camping in the next couple of weeks for a night or two. so just some safety gear, a tent and we're off. We live about 30 min from Bribie so that's looking like the go to for a quick try out. but that wobble has to be sorted first up, and now to research decent rust protection. Was planning on visit to On and off Road Brendale for a once over, will have to decide on whats going to be appropriate for lift etc. maybe put together an order of importance vs affordable ...

nissannewby
1st May 2016, 09:31 PM
On and offroad are ok but they arent cheap. He is a 4wd enthusiast/racer.

Dan02
1st May 2016, 10:06 PM
will shop around, hard part is finding someone who really knows their stuff with these older machines

Cuppa
1st May 2016, 10:24 PM

Anyone else looked at this pic of Dan's new car & thought that it looks like it's already been lifted?

mudski
1st May 2016, 10:32 PM
Yep. Doesnt look standard....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Bigcol
1st May 2016, 10:33 PM
I did think it, but passed it away as an illusion from the angle..............

you may be right mate.......

BigRAWesty
1st May 2016, 10:40 PM
Hmmmmmmm. . I sorta agree with you Cuppa..
This is my 08 with 2" lift
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/53.jpg

But congratulations on the buy..
Those death wobbles are a prick to sort out. You may nail it first mod or.it may be the last mod lol..
But enjoy the car.

Dan02
1st May 2016, 10:54 PM
took a couple of shots definately not stock, thanks well spotted..

Says Rat on the shock

Bigcol
1st May 2016, 11:22 PM
one less expense then, you can use the coin that was going to be for the lift for other things now

jay see
1st May 2016, 11:23 PM
took a couple of shots definately not stock, thanks well spotted..

Says Rat on the shock

I think you mean RAW.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Dan02
1st May 2016, 11:28 PM
Raw it is, thanks again.
well its all getting a look over asap.

BigRAWesty
2nd May 2016, 07:49 AM
Raw it is, thanks again.
well its all getting a look over asap.
Check rear spring towers.