PDA

View Full Version : Budget snorkels, any good?

dom14
22nd April 2016, 08:21 PM
Hey Guys,
Are these budget snorkels on ebay any good?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snorkel-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-Ford-Maverick-Petrol-TB42-RB30-Air-Intake-88-97-4x4-/141894902317?hash=item210998622d:g:lOQAAOSw1DtXEJi L

BigRAWesty
22nd April 2016, 08:34 PM
Hey Guys,
Are these budget snorkels on ebay any good?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snorkel-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-Ford-Maverick-Petrol-TB42-RB30-Air-Intake-88-97-4x4-/141894902317?hash=item210998622d:g:lOQAAOSw1DtXEJi L
You shouldn't have any issues but the fit and Finnish is not as good as your brand name kits..
I just got a $100 kit for the gu..
I had to shorten the middle section and grind out a lot of excess material out of the head.

mudski
22nd April 2016, 08:50 PM
The other issue i would be concerned is if the plastic joins in the snorkel are sealed, and the plastic is not porous enough to let air in where it shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

threedogs
23rd April 2016, 11:53 AM
Personally Id steer clear and save for a bit longer,there have been a few issues with some over the years.
The plastic used not being as UV friendly as it should be,
The "fit" meaning it doesn't match the contours of the body
And the Template is sometimes not to scale.
If you think a $60-$100 snorkel can compare to a $500-$600 then go for it
Not trying to talk you out of buying one but hate to seee you lose your money
or worse lose your motor because of a misaligned joint not sealing correctly.

dom14
24th April 2016, 05:49 AM
Personally Id steer clear and save for a bit longer,there have been a few issues with some over the years.
The plastic used not being as UV friendly as it should be,
The "fit" meaning it doesn't match the contours of the body
And the Template is sometimes not to scale.
If you think a $60-$100 snorkel can compare to a $500-$600 then go for it
Not trying to talk you out of buying one but hate to seee you lose your money
or worse lose your motor because of a misaligned joint not sealing correctly.

Thanx mate, but how would lose the motor by using a cheaper snorkel??!

BTW, I know nothing about snorkels. This would be he first time I'm installing a one(if I buy it). :)

dom14
24th April 2016, 05:55 AM
You shouldn't have any issues but the fit and Finnish is not as good as your brand name kits..
I just got a $100 kit for the gu..
I had to shorten the middle section and grind out a lot of excess material out of the head.

Hi mate,
Is it a budget plastic one like the ebay one above or a better one?
Thanx

BigRAWesty
24th April 2016, 08:44 AM
Hi mate,
Is it a budget plastic one like the ebay one above or a better one?
Thanx
I went the tuff terain kit Which is based off the safari kit..
We had a genuine safari kit there fir a hilux and Tbh the quality looked the same.. both knock sounded the same and the temple for mine was pretty well spot on. .

As said the only real difference is I had to clean up the excess on the head to fit and shorten the middle section a little. .

MB
24th April 2016, 08:51 AM
G'dy Dom,
One problem may be if down the track you don't like it or the plastic as mentioned above begins to deteriorate from poor UV resistance then the next purchase may not have the same hole location in the guard?
I would imagine buying a new snorkel and guard would be something of a disappointment years on.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
24th April 2016, 12:04 PM
Thanx mate, but how would lose the motor by using a cheaper snorkel??!

BTW, I know nothing about snorkels. This would be he first time I'm installing a one(if I buy it). :)

On your first river/creek crossing you could ingest some water
and therefore hydraulic your motor, as we know you cant
compress water.

dom14
24th April 2016, 12:46 PM
compress water.

Ok, cool thanx. That is not likely to happen as I'm not planning to cross a river anywhere near that deep anytime soon.

The real reason I've been considering a snorkel is to help the engine breath better and allow breath more cooler air from outside.
I've been assuming that can give some minor performance advantage??!!

threedogs
24th April 2016, 01:57 PM
Yes a lot of pro's from fitting a snorkle,
4WD action did a test years ago on fitting one
To a 60s. They found intake air was one degree cooler
and a small increase in HP, another plus is in Convoy
you get to draw in clean air as opposed to dusty air from the inner guard.
Mines not that old only a few years and there is heaps of dust,,, leaves and who knows what
collecting in the crevass where the plastic meets the guard. Need to hit it at the car wash. lol
Alls good if it fits up OK but be aware of some of the downfalls that may occur down the track

MB
24th April 2016, 04:12 PM
G'day Dom,
There is some other options out there too mate, below is a 4" stainless AB and myself knocked up years ago on his GQ for under $150.
This mob below does a really good fully welded version also.
http://www.millweld.com/a/Stainless_Steel_Snorkels

MB
24th April 2016, 04:12 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/04/152.jpg

Clunk
24th April 2016, 04:17 PM
compress water.
Less likely to hydraulic a petrol engine though TD...... what i mean is a ptrol engine is a little more forgiving when it comes to water ingress than whar a diesel engine is

dom14
24th April 2016, 04:28 PM
I thought i should ask you guys this question before I start googling and filling my head with lot of confusion. :)

What is the best direction for the entry point of the snorkel air?
Forward facing, side facing or backward facing?

Thanx guys

BigRAWesty
24th April 2016, 07:18 PM
I thought i should ask you guys this question before I start googling and filling my head with lot of confusion. :)

What is the best direction for the entry point of the snorkel air?
Forward facing, side facing or backward facing?

Thanx guys
Lots of info on it..
Imo it's more to do with dust.
If your in a convoy of heavy dust reverse the head so it acts like a natural venturi filter.. it leaves the dust partials behind..
The rest of the time face it foward..

dom14
24th April 2016, 07:52 PM
Lots of info on it..
If your in a convoy of heavy dust reverse the head so it acts like a natural venturi filter.. it leaves the dust partials behind..

Ok, cool. I'm guessing the budget one I posted as a link should be able to turn and adjust the direction to suit the terrain?
Thanx

dom14
24th April 2016, 07:54 PM
Lots of info on it..

Ok, cool. I'm guessing the budget one I posted as a link should be able to turn and adjust the direction to suit the terrain?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snorkel-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-Ford-Maverick-Petrol-TB42-RB30-Air-Intake-88-97-4x4-/141894902317?hash=item210998622d:g:lOQAAOSw1DtXEJi L&rmvSB=true

Thanx

nissannewby
24th April 2016, 08:20 PM
Always forward facing with a ram head.

BigRAWesty
24th April 2016, 08:30 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snorkel-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-Ford-Maverick-Petrol-TB42-RB30-Air-Intake-88-97-4x4-/141894902317?hash=item210998622d:g:lOQAAOSw1DtXEJi L&rmvSB=true

Thanx
Yep.. kit seems run of the mill...

lhurley
24th April 2016, 09:08 PM
I have an ebay special snorkel, and so do all of my mates and we have not had any issues at all. 1 has survived a car accident.

When you only have to pay a fraction of the price who cares if it doesnt last as long. Buy another and still be up.

But as mentioned they dont fit as perfect as the expensive ones but if you can deal with a little gap your onto a winner

MB
24th April 2016, 09:33 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_degradation

dom14
24th April 2016, 10:17 PM
I have an ebay special snorkel, and so do all of my mates and we have not had any issues at all. 1 has survived a car accident.

When you only have to pay a fraction of the price who cares if it doesnt last as long. Buy another and still be up.

But as mentioned they dont fit as perfect as the expensive ones but if you can deal with a little gap your onto a winner

That's cool mate. I'm not that fussy, and I can deal with built in imperfections of el cheapos and tinker with it to get the perfection that I sought for. It's ok if it doesn't last forever for me. I'm not planning to live forever, and neither ain't my old troll. The old troll is breathing like a life time chain smoking old age walrus at certain times.
I thought, if I give the bloke an extended, wider nose with better direction at where wind blows, might make things bit easier for the fella.