PDA

View Full Version : How long will 2 fridges 50ltr weaco 38 ltr Engels last with 1x 160 watt solar panel.

Fozzee63
21st April 2016, 11:21 PM
Hi wondering if anyone has ran 2 fridges - 100 amp battery 50 ltr Waeco for fridge and a 38 ltr Engels for freezer how long will the battery last befor 12.1 volts - 160 watt solar panel

TPC
22nd April 2016, 12:02 AM
That is a question that cannot be answered easily as there are too many variables.
It will depend on things like:
What the ambient temperature is as the hotter it is the harder the fridges work and the more current they draw.
Where you will be, as this determines how much sunlight you will have.
what time of the year as there are more daylight hours in summer than winter.
Cloud cover, if the days are overcast the panel will do very little.
How often they are opened, they will draw more every time they are opened.
Quality of solar panel.

My guess would be you would be lucky to get more than 1 day on average.

DX grunt
22nd April 2016, 08:50 AM
I've got a 95lt Evakool and was told it would run on 1 x 120w panel.

As TPC says, lots of variables. More research required on your part, I think.

All I can say about mine is that I've had everything on, in the middle of the day, with full sun and battery is still at 100%. I've now got more toys and haven't put it to the test.

I've worked out that my fridge needs heaps of ventilation, that's why I've stuck in the vents.

Rossco

DX grunt
22nd April 2016, 08:54 AM
One of the things I do before I go on any camping trip is to make sure all the frozen stuff is well frozen - at home - before I put it in the portable fridge/freezer to take away.

Make sure your portable is at your desired temp on mains power at home before you put your stuff in it. I stick a water bottle in there to find out how my freezer is working.

That way, in the initial stages, your portable shouldn't be overworked getting the temp down.

Hope that helps.

Rossco

macca
22nd April 2016, 09:14 AM
Reckon best way to answer your question is to set up all your gear at home, puts stuff in fridge and freezer then open doors occasionally like at camp and see how it goes. If you can get sun you are probably OK to be stand alone.
An amp meter in the solar line tells you if your panels are getting the best from the sun too. Also a DC/DC multi stage charger / regulator or a good quality regulator helps a lot too.
I have run 2 40litre engel's (1 freezer) a 6 amp oven (2 hours) plus all the other gear on a 120amp panel with a redarc 30amp DC/DC system. At 6.00 pm the batteries were at 100% state of charge, very impressed.
Did chase the sun with the panels, saw consistant peak about 6 amps from memory.
So what you want to do is possible.

threedogs
22nd April 2016, 11:39 AM
Using one as a freezer which wont be opened often and will cycle less
then the 50 Waeco pretty efficient fridge Maybe pulling 3-4 AH then your
Panel returning 6-8 AH chasing the sun may be possible but a lot of ifs.

Bob
22nd April 2016, 01:38 PM
I run a 140A Solar Panel with a Redarc SRP0240 20A Solar Reg connected to a 110AH Battery.

Over Easter I was running our 60 Litre Fridge off the Battery(24 Hours) and by 1 to 2 pm every day the Battery was fully charged.
Was camped in semi shade and I needed to chase the sun during the Day.

threedogs
22nd April 2016, 02:15 PM
I run a 140A Solar Panel with a Redarc SRP0240 20A Solar Reg connected to a 110AH Battery.

Over Easter I was running our 60 Litre Fridge off the Battery(24 Hours) and by 1 to 2 pm every day the Battery was fully charged.
Was camped in semi shade and I needed to chase the sun during the Day.

what were the temps at Easter