PDA

View Full Version : Work tow car advice

Bloodyaussie
19th April 2016, 03:49 PM
We are in the process of buying a tow car for work to tow vans interstate and the boss is pretty set in his ways about his Toyotas.

Now he has been looking mostly at the V8 Troopies at around the $29,000 to $35,000 mark with a 3500kg tow rating which is very important..

Most seem to be up north in QLD and elsewhere far away so getting a good look is not viable and will rely on the RACQ or the like to check them over.

Can anyone suggest other cars that would fit the needs we have... the reason we have said troopie is we will deck out the back so our driver can sleep in it and keep the caravans in mint condition.

Cheers.

lucus30
19th April 2016, 04:01 PM
If say you'd be on the money but maybe check out a 2nd hand dmax or bt50. You could still put a canopy on and sleep in the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nissannewby
19th April 2016, 04:02 PM
200 series. Your boss needs to keep in mind it needs to be comfortable which the troopy,dual cab and utes arent. Easy enough to lay the seats forward in the back and sleep.

Even a y62 would be a good option.

garett
19th April 2016, 04:12 PM
things like the ranger and other utes read the fine print on the 3.5T towing... not all is as it seems...

4bye4
19th April 2016, 05:35 PM
There ya go!
Ill drive for ya.

Hodge
19th April 2016, 06:05 PM
Rocket55s fully worked 4.2 gu is up for sale...
Perfect towing vehicle imo. Everything already done just tow 'n go !!!!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

billyj
19th April 2016, 07:05 PM
amarok would be worth a look

the evil twin
19th April 2016, 07:44 PM
Suggestion for other 'cars' towing between 3000 to 3500 other than the V8 Cruisers ?... IMHO none

If he is dinkium 'bout wanting it for towing and kitting something out for a sleep then (other than the crusier) it is a toss up between
An F truck et al
or
An Iveco/Isuzu/Mitsi etc light truck dual cab with the rear as a sleeper

We tow boats from 3 ton up to just under 6 ton all over WA and typical of a Gov't fleet have a wide variety of vehicles.
Ranger, Navara, Amarok, Patrol (ZD30), Prado, Dmax, Cruiser et al of the 'Car' size, IMHO, they all suck except the V8 cruisers.
Of the trucks the Isuzu is the most comfy and it just hums along

Bloodyaussie
19th April 2016, 08:06 PM
Cheers et i will have a look into iveco as i do think they are perfect for the job and am able to build a sleeping canopy on the back.

But still think the v8 troopy is the easiest way to go and will need very little modification to make into a sleeper.

Work utes are no way on the cards and do not suit our needs.

I might have to go to qld and pick a car up as this where they all seem to be.

Has anyone had pre purchase inspection done... how well do they go over a car?

nissannewby
19th April 2016, 08:13 PM
Just dont buy an ex mine vehicle.

AB
19th April 2016, 08:15 PM
Just dont buy an ex mine vehicle. Why not?

We can have another fix it meet up ;)

MB
19th April 2016, 08:22 PM
G'day BA,

As ET's mentioned the Iveco's are spot on if your boss is serious! I did meet a semi-retired bloke some months ago who raved about them !

http://www.traveltrucks.com.au/4x4-iveco-daily

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/buyers-guide-4x4-motorhome/earthcruiser-iveco

There is quite a few different mobs out there pimping them up for different configurations but buyer must be aware that only one I believe is Iveco backed for 38's -ADR and drivetrain warranties etc..

Good Luck Cheers!

Bloodyaussie
19th April 2016, 08:40 PM
Just dont buy an ex mine vehicle.

That is a big one we are trying to avoid. .lol

Makka
20th April 2016, 07:59 PM
Caution with the iveco's had one as a work vehicle gutless heap of chit.....
what are your vans pop top campers or full sized ?
i used to move vans from wodonga to the gold coast on a tiltray one on the back one on the tow bar .....
if only moveing one at a time why not a modern isuzu you can get them in auto and the go like stink (the budget rental trucks fun flooging the crap outa them) build a proper back on it with bed and dinette fridge bloke can be self sufficiant...
btw i'm also ex interstater

nissannewby
20th April 2016, 08:37 PM
That is a big one we are trying to avoid. .lol

It is also why there are so many up here.

mudnut
20th April 2016, 09:22 PM
What about a big yank pick up. Plenty of space to put sleeping quarters on and plenty of towing ability.

the evil twin
21st April 2016, 10:36 AM
What about a big yank pick up. Plenty of space to put sleeping quarters on and plenty of towing ability.

Yep agree, as prev mentioned they are a good alternative for some.
A lot of the manufacturers over here are running F trucks, Chevs et al some with dual rears.

We can't use the Yank jobbies as they are second stage manufacturer (Gov't thing) so we jump from Cruisers to Isuzu or Iveco trucks (real trucks not the Daily)

threedogs
21st April 2016, 11:06 AM
We are in the process of buying a tow car for work to tow vans interstate and the boss is pretty set in his ways about his Toyotas.

Now he has been looking mostly at the V8 Troopies at around the $29,000 to $35,000 mark with a 3500kg tow rating which is very important..

Most seem to be up north in QLD and elsewhere far away so getting a good look is not viable and will rely on the RACQ or the like to check them over.

Can anyone suggest other cars that would fit the needs we have... the reason we have said troopie is we will deck out the back so our driver can sleep in it and keep the caravans in mint condition.

Cheers.
If you're dead set on a troopy try ex cop in SA he brought his from Coober Pedy, they even fitted new rear doors.
Hate to see you disappointed down the track. I can put you in touch with him if you want to talk

My mate brought a V8 troopy to tow his Bushtrackka van around ,, it was not up to the job and he sold it within a month
and went out and brought a 200s. Trust me the troopy is not up to the job.

Bloodyaussie
21st April 2016, 03:11 PM
And why is the troopy not up for the job?

nissannewby
21st April 2016, 03:15 PM
I dont know about the towind ability but has anyone including yourself driven one of these for a long distance? They are not comfortable at all. (Troopy, 79 wagon and ute)

Also they arent as efficient as a 200 when towing either.

Bloodyaussie
21st April 2016, 03:54 PM
I dont know about the towind ability but has anyone including yourself driven one of these for a long distance? They are not comfortable at all. (Troopy, 79 wagon and ute)

Also they arent as efficient as a 200 when towing either.

The 200 is not an option... the budget is set at a $35,000 as for the comfort our driver uses our rodeo ute and that is for long trips plus i dont care about his comfort.... ha h aha

threedogs
21st April 2016, 04:10 PM
And why is the troopy not up for the job?

They are not made to tow, they are made to transport 12 ppl in terrible discomfort
Look elswhere even an auto diesel 100s would be better, For $35K you can get an great
GU 4.2 ,, Billy did for $20k
You need to look at economy too imo
I did 400k in a troopy ouch lol

Plus you need a vehicle that can tow the heaviest van you have to the lightest
taking in all towball weights, etc no an easy decision

nissannewby
21st April 2016, 04:22 PM
The 200 is not an option... the budget is set at a $35,000 as for the comfort our driver uses our rodeo ute and that is for long trips plus i dont care about his comfort.... ha h aha

Just did a quick search. Found 3 in your price range. One even at 35k.

Rossco
21st April 2016, 06:49 PM
I drive a 79 ute a fair bit for work and don't find it too bad comfort wise at all, it's certainly a million times better than a Ford ranger single cab - that would have to be one of the most uncomfortable things i have even driven, hate the bloody thing. Why wouldn't the troopy be no good for towing, just because it's not twin turbo, could chip the thing? ?

As said before Isuzu truck is worth concidering but may be out of the price range, or tilt tray with sleeper cab but that would probably be pushing it dollar wise. . .

Bloodyaussie
21st April 2016, 08:41 PM
Cheers rossco we are in negotiations with one dealer in WA for an ex police troopy with dual batteries and isolator plus a few other extra bits we were going to fit. .. its missing its rear seats which suits us as we were going to strip them and build in a bed and small fridge and storage space.

Yes i have driven the 70 series cruisers and know what they are like but it matters not really as this is what the boss wants.

Been on the phone to about 8 dealers and not one private seller as no one would reply to my request for information. .. think they could not be bothered to sell.

megatexture
21st April 2016, 10:30 PM
My Renault master(tray back to van) new was $43k with 2.5 ton payload 3 ton towing and $#!ts on isuzu as far as comfort goes. Worth a look imo

http://www.renault.com.au/latest-offers/commercial?model_variant=master_van_medium_wheelba se&gclid=CN695q_Wn8wCFQ1vvAodE5AEXA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Irish
22nd April 2016, 06:00 PM
What about a late model F150/250, Dodge Ram or the like? They'll definitely pull a large van as if it's not even there.